Hot Apple Cider Rum Punch

Hot Apple Cider Rum Punch by @browneyedbaker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

I have wanted to make a spiked hot apple cider recipe for years. Seriously, years. Since 2009, to be exact. In the fall of 2009, my Chief Culinary Consultant played in a local street hockey tournament, along with his cousin’s husband and a few other friends. The first game was on a Friday night, and all of us significant others bundled up and sat outside to cheer them on. His cousin showed up with a thermos of hot toddies to share with everyone. Genius move. Ever since then, I’ve thought that it would be a fantastic idea to have a hot spiked apple cider recipe worthy of thermoses, punch bowls and favorite mugs just waiting for fall to show up. Mission accomplished.

This is a very simple recipe that can be thrown together in a matter of minutes. If you’re hosting a fall-themed party, a bonfire, or are just looking for something hot with a little bit of a kick, look no further. Apple cider is simmered with orange slices, apple slices, fresh ginger and a cinnamon stick until wonderfully fragrant. You could certainly drink it as-is at this point, but if you want the kick… then proceed with the dark rum. It’s a fabulous complement to the flavors in the apple cider mixture and tastes oh-so-delicious going down.

Grab your coziest blanket and your favorite mug… cheers!

Hot Apple Cider Rum Punch by @browneyedbaker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

One year ago: Mushroom Lasagna
Two years ago: Cumin and Fennel-Crusted Roast Lamb
Three years ago: Beer and Pretzel Soft Caramel Candies
Four years ago: Lemon Burst Cookies
Five years ago: Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake
Six years ago: Sweet Dinner Rolls

Hot Apple Cider Rum Punch

Yield: 10 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Hot apple cider, flavored with apples, oranges, ginger and cinnamon, and spiked with dark rum.

Ingredients:

8 cups apple cider
1 apple, thinly sliced crosswise
1 orange, thinly sliced crosswise
1-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
2 cinnamon sticks
2 cups dark rum

Directions:

1. In a large pot, combine the apple cider, apple slices, orange slices, ginger slices and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the rum.

Note:

• The apple cider mixture can be kept warm over low heat for up to 2 hours before adding the rum and serving.

(Recipe adapted from Everyday Food)

18 Responses to “Hot Apple Cider Rum Punch”

1. Olivia at ohmy Olivia on October 10, 2013 at 12:30 am

This looks so good – perfect for a cold fall evening! xo

2. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on October 10, 2013 at 12:51 am

It’s 5 o’clock somewhere ;)

3. Johanna Thompson on October 10, 2013 at 1:41 am

I love apple cider, nice and hot sitting by my fireplace. Thanks for the recipe.

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks on October 10, 2013 at 2:34 am

Looks wonderful and love spiked cider/punch. Goes does so easily and leaves you nice and toasty inside :)

5. Máire on October 10, 2013 at 3:08 am

I’m standing in the cold at the bus stop- this sounds like the best thing ever right now!

6. Becca @ Crumbs on October 10, 2013 at 3:08 am

This sounds like my kind of punch – love a splash of rum!

7. Lori on October 10, 2013 at 7:00 am

Michelle,
    I wish you lived closer!!!! You are so much fun!!

8. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on October 10, 2013 at 10:56 am

I would do this without the rum and still enjoy every sip of it!

9. Jen on October 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm

This will be in my crockpot for the Halloween party!! Yum!!

10. Kristi on October 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I love apple cider, and with rum…. woohoo! Holiday drink: check.

11. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent on October 10, 2013 at 5:37 pm

This looks yummy! Great idea for cooler fall evenings :)

12. Tricia @ Saving room for dessert on October 10, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I am also one of those people looking for the perfect hot toddy – brilliant!

13. Sabrina on October 10, 2013 at 7:16 pm

This recipe could not have come at a better time! I head out of town to south lake tahoe and on the way back my husband an I are plannng at stopping at apple hill. Apple hill is a group of growers that sell anything from just plan apples to cider dounts and the fresh ciders as well. Once again thank you and i going to now pick up even more cider than I had orginally planed!

14. Tracey on October 10, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I’ve never had anything like this, but it would definitely be perfect after a long morning of shoveling snow this winter! Your pics are gorgeous too :)

15. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen on October 11, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Love this recipe, Michelle! Last week, I posted my Sparkling Apple Cider Margarita and we enjoyed those. Now, I cannot wait to try your recipe now that the weather will start getting colder. Thanks for sharing, girl. Pinning!

16. Tracy | Pale Yellow on October 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Cider and rum is one of my favorite drinks! This such a classier version than what I usually drink! I can’t wait to try.

17. Positively Angel on October 15, 2013 at 9:25 pm

This looks so good! I made Hot Buttered Rum a few years ago and loved it, I’m sure I would love this too! Will have to make sure I try it :) Thanks!

18. Sophie on October 17, 2013 at 10:30 am

This looks delicious!! I will definitely be making this this Autumn – big love from across the pond! Thanks for the recipe