Classic black-bottom cupcakes – super moist chocolate cupcakes topped with a cheesecake filling and mini chocolate chips. The best of both worlds!
I first came across black-bottom cupcakes ages ago, and while I made a recipe years ago that I liked at the time, I didn’t LOVE them. It’s hard not to totally love the combination of chocolate and cheesecake, but the key is to getting a supremely moist chocolate cupcake along with a creamy cheesecake center.
I’m so thrilled to have found this new recipe – it’s a total dream for anyone else who loves chocolate and cheesecake!
I have a weird relationship with chocolate and cheesecake… Oddly enough, I’m not a huge fan of chocolate cheesecake. I’m not sure why, but I would much rather have regular cheesecake with chocolate swirled or added in… is that weird??
I feel the same way about ice cream – I much prefer vanilla ice cream with add-ins than actual chocolate ice cream.
That’s why these cupcakes are so totally perfect for me – I get my dose of chocolate along with cheesecake in its purest form. LOVE!
In addition to fulfilling my love of chocolate and cheesecake together, this recipe is super simple and only requires a couple of bowls. Score!
I like to try new recipes for Sunday dinners so that I can ship leftovers home with family or to work with my mom, but I totally hoarded these cupcakes. I didn’t relinquish any of them, and savored every last one!
For the Cheesecake Filling:
- 16 ounces (453.59 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) salt
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ⅓ cup (60 g) miniature chocolate chips
For the Cupcake Batter:
- 1½ cups (187.5 g) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups (250 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (43 g) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1¼ teaspoons (1.25 teaspoons) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- ¾ cup (172.5 ml) sour cream
- 1⅓ cups (333.33 ml) water
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two standard muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Make the Cheesecake Filling: In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and salt on medium speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. Beat in the egg whites and sour cream until combined, about 1 minute. Stir in the chocolate chips using a rubber spatula; set aside.
- Make the Cupcake Batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center, and add the sour cream, water, butter and vanilla extract, and whisk until just combined.
- Divide the cupcake batter evenly among the 24 liners and top each cupcake with 1 rounded tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture. Bake until the tops of the cupcakes just begin to crack, 23 to 25 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. The cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.