Chocolate Mudslide Poke Cake
I’m not much of a cocktail drinker at all, but I had my first mudslide a couple of years after college, when I met a girlfriend out for dinner at a popular chain restaurant. Surprisingly, it was love at first sip. Chocolate combined with Kahlua and Irish cream, with a kick of vodka? This beer and wine girl had no trouble polishing it off!
For as much as I love poke cakes, I don’t make them nearly often enough. I’ve had the idea for this one floating around in my head for a couple of months and finally got around to executing it. I thought that a chocolate cake combined with the flavors of a classic mudslide cocktail would taste fabulous. I’m happy to report that the experiment was a success!
My favorite poke cake includes an infusion of sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping… I put a spin on that for this mudslide cake and whisked together sweetened condensed milk with hot fudge sauce, vodka, Kahlua and Baileys Irish Cream. As soon as the cake came out of the oven, I poked tons of holes all over the top and slowly poured that concoction over top so it could seep down into the holes.
Next, the waiting is the hardest part (aaand now I have Tom Petty stuck in my head). The cake needs to be cooled to room temperature, then refrigerated for an hour before topping it, then you have to wait another hour to dig in. It’s a double-edged sword because waiting really is torture, but it’s the perfect recipe for making a day ahead. It truly gets better the longer you let it marinate in the refrigerator.
The amount of alcohol that I used for this cake provides a nice kick – it’s noticeable but not too strong. If you are looking for more of a punch, feel free to up the amounts to your liking. Conversely, if you’d rather not use alcohol at all, you can just omit it from the recipe for a simple, yet sublime, chocolate poke cake.
Now I just need to keep myself from sneaking a forkful at a time out of the refrigerator 😉
Chocolate Mudslide Poke Cake
Chocolate cake infused with a combination of sweetened condensed milk, hot fudge, vodka, Kahlua and Baileys.
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-ounce) jar hot fudge (or use homemade!)
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 2 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Shaved chocolate, to garnish
- Bake the cake according to the directions on the box.
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately poke holes all over the top using either the bottom of a wooden spoon, a skewer or a fork.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, hot fudge sauce, vodka, Kahlua and Baileys. Slowly drizzle the mixture all over the cake. Allow the cake to cool completely at room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Spread the Cool Whip over the top of the cake, top with the shaved chocolate and refrigerate again for 1 hour. Serve cold and refrigerate any leftovers.