1. This is the first year that Joseph is really “getting” Santa Claus, and it just SO MUCH FUN. We’ve asked him many times what he would like Santa to bring for him, and his answers are always one of the following: snow, vanilla ice cream, or chocolate ice cream. His innocence and delight in the simple things makes my heart nearly explode.
2. I bought Isabelle cable knit leggings in both gray and cream, and they are so soft and feel so cozy that I wish they made them in my size. I would seriously live in them!
3. Dominic continues to be a super sweet and totally FUNNY child. His new “game” is he’ll turn pages in a book and find something that catches his eye (a car, a door, etc.) then page away from it to “hide” it. He’ll say, “huh! where’s the car?!” followed by a sly, sweet smile and “I’ll find it!”. Then he pages back to it, exclaiming, “there’s the car! I found it!” I just want to scoop him up and smother him in hugs and kisses.
4. Today (12/14) is Free Ship Day! LOADS of retailers are offering free shipping today, so if you haven’t finished your shopping yet, today is a great day to hop online! The website freeshippingday.com has a list of all the stores that are offering free shipping.
5. Speaking of, I’d love to know… What is your favorite gift you’ve bought for someone else so far this season?
6. The boys have been LOVING helping in the kitchen! Last Saturday they made sugar cookie cut outs with my mom, this week they made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies at my in-laws, and yesterday we made dough for gingerbread cookies; we’ll cut them out and decorate this afternoon. So excited!
7. What is on your Christmas baking list? I’d love to hear what you’re making over the next couple of weeks!
8. This made me so sad for kids today, and so grateful that I made it the whole way through college and nearly to 30 before social media even existed >> Middle School Misfortunes, Then and Now (2008 vs 2018): One Teacher’s Take
9. As we wind down this year and start looking ahead to 2019, I would love to know how I can help you in the coming year! Do you have any resolutions or goals you need help with, something you want to master in the kitchen, or anything else you’d love to see in this space? Please share below! :)
10. TGIF! I hope you have a cozy weekend!
I really splurged this year and bought my husband tickets to see The Rolling Stones. He never does anything for himself and works so hard for everyone else.
P.s. in the year ahead would love to see a few shortcuts that you recommend..or new food products that you love…even a casserole recipe on occasion would be great too😊
Such a beautiful family. Your blog..pictures of your beautiful babies and doggies just help lighten the load of life some days. I love how you end Friday things with a pic of the furry babies..so amazingly sweet. What an example you are on loving your kids..family and dogs too…amazing person you are
There is adult size cable knit leggings on Amazon. Have a great Christmas
An Italian bakery where I used to live makes a pastry/cookie that I’m sure is Sicilian in origin. It contains ricotta, citron, and chocolate shavings. I don’t get there often and they won’t ship the cookies. I recently found a recipe for cannoli cookies that is as close to those from the bakery as I’ve ever seen. I’m eager to try the recipe.
The favorite gifts I’ve bought are a Le Creuset gravy boat for one daughter and Bombas socks for the other.
Favorite gift- Microsoft Office 365 for my husband. It has dictation capabilities and he can dictate and enter is own research into Word without me!! Actually, it’s more of a gift for ME! Anyway, we’re both happy with it.
I would love to learn how to make doughnuts – specifically maple bars. I actually had it on my goal list for 2018 and I doubt I will get to it. Thank you for all of your recipes! My favorite so far is your cornbread. It really is the best.ever!
Wanted to tell you….made a chocolate peppermint cake from OurBestBites.com and White Christmas Fudge from DearCrissy,com. Check them out! I’m sure you’ll bookmark! Love your kids and doggies – they are all adorable. Keep up the recipes- can’t wait!
Oh my gosh, that article on social media was totally depressing, yet all so true. I am SOOOOO grateful to have grown up without it, but my child is in the thick of it. It is scary stuff and honestly just sad. Whenever you see kids out (and actually a lot of adults), they are just staring down at a phone and not paying attention to the world around them. Hold off on phones as long as possible for your kiddos. I am going to attempt making thumbprint cookies because I have never tried them before. Kind of old school, but what the heck? Haven’t decide what else yet. Happy Friday!!!
I love your friday things blog posts. I love all the links of things you’ve discovered and like. Stuff like that is always so helpful to read!!
My favorite gifts that I bought this year for all my granddaughters, my boyfriend and myself is The Comfy. Costco had two for $50. Here is the website.
Almost done with Christmas baking, grandkids coming over tonight to decorate the sugar cookies, and my daughter and I will finish up tomorrow and box up our treat boxes. Friends have already been asking if we’ve been baking. They are a hit with many of the recipes coming from you Michelle.
My favorite gift this year will be for one of my daughters who commented on a blog she follows that she LOVED every single item that the gal was modeling and since the blog is about shopping, all the links to each item were posted, VOILA, clicked away and everything came within a couple of days. Can’t wait to see her face when she opens her gift.
Have a fabulous Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year.
We are making sugar cookies, peppermint bark, Kiflins (like snowball cookies), cake balls and homemade cinnamon rolls. I LOVE this time of year and always host a sugar cookie decorating party at my house. My Christmas sprinkle collection is out of control! I have a problem :-)
Just adore your family updates…like a far-away aunty once removed. Each child so different but set in a loving circle and growing and “becoming”. (Your recipes are GREAT TOO!)
Looking at the dogs…last photo was like the perfect shot of “an old married couple”!
My favorite gift this year is for my brother who lives in small town across the country. I have arranged a “perfect day”. I found out his favorite places and got gift certificates for his favorite breakfast spot, the bookstore he likes to visit, where he gets his hair cut, and a fun dinner place. He’ll have a full day in town and end up with a gift card for Netfilx to wind down at home. I’m hoping he enjoys it as much as I enjoyed planning it!
You make such beautiful cakes. I would love some tutorials.
Just wanted to say when I got to the end of Friday Things this morning, & saw the picture of your dogs cuddling together it made my day! Just made me smile!
It’s great reading your stories, and recipes are great with some old favorites too ,looking for scottish shortbread a for the new year.
Happy holidays!! Im making cannoli pound cake (a recipe from Smitten Kitchen I’ve tweaked) and chocolate crinkle cookies (that are made with unsweetened chocolate, bittersweet chocolate and semi sweet chocolate chips instead of cocoa powder). I’ve already made rugalach, and I’m still looking to make something using the bourbon barrel aged honey I bought from a distillery in FL. (Omg, writing that out it now seems like a lot, lol).
So far my favorite gift is for my adult son: I bought him a leather belt making kit from Man-Crate. Unfortunately he didn’t wait for Christmas but opened it when it arrived. He made the belt the next day and it is gorgeous. He is so excited about this gift.
I am 100% certain that you can find adult-sized cable knit leggings. Nordstrom had them, but they sold out. Muk Luks has them in 4 different colors. I didn’t check Amazon, but I’m sure they have them as well.
Boy do they look comfy.
Would love a recipe for prime rib/beef tenderloin/rib roast.
If I may, I would like to make a second shout-out to the BEB because she is the baking pro that the Chicago Bears’ official baker (yes, there is such a person), turns to for inspiration. If you want to hear her give praise to Michelle, you can listen to WGN: https://wgnradio.com/2018/12/12/baking-for-the-holidays-with-chicago-bears-baker-sarah-tuohy/
I’m super excited to give my mom some nice skin care goodies, she doesn’t pamper herself at all. For dad, i’m coordinating a family portrait. And copious amounts of treats and toys for the doggies. :)
I always look forward to Friday Things! The favorite gift I’ve bought so far is a metal detector for my son who is 12. We love to go on treasure hunts in the woods and he’s outgrown the one Santa brought him when he was 7. Who knows what we will find?
Lots of baking planned this weekend with traditional Spritz cookies up first. Inspired by the Great British Baking Show, I’m hoping to make a Yule Log for Christmas Eve.
I’m sooo excited for Christmas!!