Friday Things #378
1. Summer days are made for waiting out afternoon downpours…
2. Finding a patch of shade…
3. And blowing the perfect bubbles 💖
4. Joseph had another milestone allergy appointment this week – he got to eat an actual piece of cashew and is off of the powder/liquid solution! It’s quite small (0.07 grams) but a huge step in his journey. He is also now eating the equivalent of 3 peanuts for his daily doses, which the doctor said is the level at which if he were to unknowingly bite into something that actually contained peanut butter or peanuts, he theoretically wouldn’t have a reaction. We are, of course, still extremely vigilant with his allergy, but we are just so grateful for the ability to do these treatments.
5. Enjoyed this article >> The Coronavirus Era is the Retro-Future. I totally feel this! Being in quarantine has definitely made me want to purchase umpteen acres of land, live in wide open (and wooded!) spaces, and unplug as much as possible.
6. If you need a quick and easy recipe for the holiday weekend, my red, white & blue berry trifle is a long-time favorite.
7. We have now reached the point where a 1-pound box of pasta is not enough to serve my family of five for dinner. I can’t even imagine what the teenage years will hold!
8. Do you have a “comfort movie“? With three little kids, I pretty much never get the chance to just plop on the couch and catch a Saturday afternoon movie anymore, but some of my all-time, watch-them-anytime-they’re-on movies are: Top Gun, Walk the Line, You’ve Got Mail, The Holiday, A Few Good Men, and anything in the Bourne series.
9. We finished the 5th season of Downton Abbey a couple of days ago and that season finale was almost like a movie, so good!! I’m sad we’re heading into the last season, but will be sure to queue up the movie once we’ve finished with the show. What have you been watching?
10. TGIF! Duke celebrated his 7th birthday this week! The kids and I made him these cheddar-apple pupcakes :)
Many of your favorite comfort movies are mine too! Great baker, great film watcher :)
Hi Michelle, I watched the Downton Abbey series AFTER watching the movie with my aunt as she had been watching the series and wanted to go see the movie so we did. I liked the movie so wanted to see the series, I really like the series, I think you will really like the movie.
Have you seen Poldark? I like that as well as I did the Downton Abbey… I think there’s 5 seasons as well.
Michelle, Can you tell me about the nut therapy is your son is going through. My son has the same allergy and when I tried to explain to his allergist what the process was you were going through she seemed to not know what I was talking about. Thought I would ask you more to see if it was offered in my area and who offered it. Any information you can pass along would be very help us. Thank you! Love reading the Friday things posts Amanda
You need to make a print of the kids with their hands stretched out to the rain. Maybe you have a friend that could paint it. It is so adorable! It would be such a cool print.
Happy 4th Michelle! and family!!
Thanks for all you do👍 Love the pics of the kiddos
and the pups…adorable. Happy Birthday Duke! 🐶 My husband and I plus our pup will be enjoying a bbq today. Also making your Strawberry Pretzel Salad – yum 😋 Take care!
P.s. I just realized you were asking about “non kid movies” lol. The only movies I went to see for yeeeeeears were little kid movies while my nieces were young. A few of my fave “non kid” movies😊
Yes to Top Gun even still. I’ve recently watched lots of older movies since quarantine and since I found free movies (whooo hooo). I’ve re watched Rainman, The Fisher King, Somethings Gotta Give, and Hope Floats are all time favorites. I’d forgotten how much I love watching a good movie. An incredible inspiring recent movie is called Overcomer. I highly recommend that. Great recent free movie that I adored is called Labor Day.
Have a good 4th weekend. Thankful for our freedoms and the beauty even still in this amazing country.
You take the best pictures. Love the rain pic.
May be “old school” but some all time favorite movies from when my nieces were little-Babe, Finding Nemo, The Lion King, and the classic ET. A good one is Fly Away Home, but might not quite be a kids fast paced movie, but nonetheless a touching movie.
Happy Birthday to handsome Duke. Hard to believe we’ve gotten the priviledge of your beautiful doggie self for 7 years already.
Happy 7th Duke! I remember when he was just a puppy. My dogs love these pup cakes, they also love the ones with the yogurt peanut butter frosting.
Hi Michelle- I have been reading your blog for many many years! I love all your recipes and enjoy seeing pics of your beautiful kids! They have grown so much!
I am an “Outlander” fan and highly recommend this show- (mature audience only!)- It is AH-mazing! You will fall in love with Jamie and Claire!. I finished season 5 on Startz but the first 3 seasons are on Netflix. You will be swept away!
Happy 4th of July!
Happy 4th of July weekend to you and your family, Michelle. Lovely pictures of kiddos, especially the ones with the backs to you, they look like a little ladder. And a happy birthday to Duke, with many more candles to blow out!
What a precious photo of your kids waiting out the rain! Enjoy celebrating Independence Day with your family! We are blessed to live in America with our many freedoms.
I’ve just realised that I haven’t received the “friday things” email for a while! :-(
And I cannot find the link to subscribe again.
Can you help me?
On another subject I see your videos on facebook and I’m surprised you never told us about it.
I would love to hear about the making-of and you should mention it here when you make a new one.
Audrey from France
Hi Audrey, Can you send me an email (email@example.com) with your email address included so that I can look into it for you?
I’m glad you’re enjoying the videos on Facebook! They are all here on the site, as well. When you land on a recipe that has a video associated with it, it will pop and start playing!
The teenage years involve hiding things you want to eat (I bought a Family size box of Chicken in a Biscuit crackers and when I went to get them the next day it was gone. This is why I have licorice locked in my desk also.) and writing things like “NOT FOR COLE” in bold black marker on leftovers in to-go boxes.
We are binge watching Outlander❤️❤️ First three seasons on Netflix and then we just couldn’t wait for Season 4 and 5 to be added so we are on a 7 day trial on Starz to complete the series.
The pictures of your kids are precious — you will cherish those as they grow up. Also love the picture of Duke…I LOVE the doggie pictures. Have a great 4th of July weekend!
1. love the atlantic!!
2. have you tried the doggie bubbles offered by chewy? the come in peach and peanut butter flavor. just ordered them for my spaniel.
3. love downtown abbey. rumor…another movie!!
$. also looking for shade..in chicago area almost two weeks of temps in the 90’s!!
Happy Fourth of July Michelle to you and your family!!!🇺🇸 Your children are so adorable!