Friday Things #456
1. One night this week, the boys went upstairs to brush their teeth and get ready for bed… when I walked into Dominic’s room, I found him sitting on his bed, listening to his heart very intently with a toy stethoscope. It was the sweetest sight!
2. My in-laws gave Joseph and Dominic old child-size Steelers uniforms that my husband and his brother had when they were kids. Joseph is so into football right now and takes it very seriously when he puts on those pants, ha!
3. Judith is so unbelievably patient with the kids and they LOVE to snuggle her all day, every day 💜
4. I am still obsessed with Wordle and am hoping the New York Times acquisition doesn’t ruin it! If you like Wordle, but also like numbers, I recently discovered Nerdle… it’s basically like Wordle, but with numbers building an equation. It gives me a bit of a headache, but every time I do it, I’m pretty proud 😂
5. I’m devasted that the Billy Joel channel on SiriusXM was ended and replaced with… the Foo Fighters channel 😭 An absolute travesty.
6. This week we celebrated my husband’s birthday and when I asked him what he wanted for dinner and dessert that day, he went with a full-blown Greek menu. We had pastitsio for dinner and Greek custard pie for dessert!
7. Many of you may have heard of this already, but I recently heard about the Give Back Box. You simply fill any box with things to donate, print out a free label and drop it off at the UPS store or schedule a pickup. I love this idea and how easy it makes it to box up and donate things!
If you go into the website, you can also search for specific charities or causes that are looking for very specific items. For instance, I found one that specifically needs yarn for making blankets for veterans, so instead of just throwing my extra yarn in a random box, I can send it directly to a place that needs it. If you do a specific charity like that, you pay $15 for the shipping label, but gosh, I’m just in love with this idea!
8. What’s on your Super Bowl menu for Sunday? I haven’t figured it out yet!
9. We’ve been loving watching the Olympics with the kids, they’re enjoying it so much. The slope-style snowboarding has been the kids’ favorite so far!
10. TGIF! The most comfortable dog in the world…
THANKS SO MUCH for the givebackbox heads -up! I too have more yarn than I can use in a lifetime and I found a couple of places to send some. What a great idea!
Love Wordle and Nerdle. I’m a NYT subscriber and honestly, they have some really good games. I lover Letterbox and Spelling Bee.
Of the 5 boys in my family, 4 are Doctors, so I know all the traits. Dominic is going to be a
Doctor. Mark my words.
Also, every time you send a picture of your much loved couch, I think of all the fun, loving stories it could tell…
Thank you so much for your wonderful blog, it’s made my day on many occasions!!
I love your Friday Things! I look forward to it every week. Your recipes never disappoint. You are so nice to share your family (2 legged and 4 legged) with your readers.
Thanks for the tip on the Give Back Box – love the ability to see what specific organizations need and know it will actually be used.
For Sunday I’m planning to make loose meat sandwiches (sounds weird but it’s an Iowa specialty), with snacks of bacon wrapped pineapple and caramel puff corn. And we’ll probably make a Crumbl run earlier in the weekend for cookies. They are a bit pricey but at least at my local store they’ve been good quality. I know I can bake good cookies myself too, but it’s fun to try their different varieties in a single trip!
Doctor Dominic has a nice ring to it. He’s got the personality & compassion for it!
Or Nurse Dominic! 😉
Thank you for telling us about Wordle. I love it and do one everyday. Even though I’m not good at math, I can’t wait to check out Nerdle. I love your blog and have been following you for many years – since before you had kids. Your great recipes, your precious children, and your dogs have made my heart happy. Thank you for all that you do.
I got today’s Nerdle in two tries!
Wouldn’t it be perfection to be able to relax with such bliss…just like a dog? I can think of nothing better!
I read that the NYT’s will leave WORLE as is for now but the game was purchased to specifically increase their subscription numbers so clearly, WORDLE will be behind a paywall in the not to distant future.
I am so not a numbers person..my brain just doesn’t work that way so for me, NERDLE holds no appeal. I would drive myself insane trying to figure it out.
Have a great weekend…I am going to embrace the Year of the Tiger on Sunday and go with the Bengals.