Friday Things #474
1. Isabelle graduated from pre-k this week! She enjoyed both years of preschool so, so much and is super excited to head to kindergarten in the fall 💖 There was a cute little program, and then we came home and baked chocolate chip cookies together to celebrate 🍪
2. Dominic had another round of treatment last week. It was another week of ups and downs, but he got to spend some time with music therapy partway through the week, and he enjoyed it SO MUCH. Going back to last year when he started chemo, it is the one thing (other than seeing his dad, Joseph, and Isabelle) that really perks him up. When the girl handed him the guitar and asked if he wanted to play, he said, “Where do I put my fingers to play rock and roll?” 💙💙
3. Joseph recently had his biannual blood work for his food allergies, and it was the first time he said he didn’t need me to sit with him, and he did SO AWESOME. He is becoming such a big kid more and more every day.
4. Did you know that Kitchen Aid has a shaved ice attachment for its stand mixers? A perfect summer buy!
5. A few weeks ago, I managed to get strep and have no idea how or where; none of the kids had it, and no one got it after me. Then, the week after, I needed a little dental work done for receding gums, which was not at all pleasant. I give both 0 stars, do not recommend.
6. The ever-popular refrigerator bread and butter pickles recipe got a little refresh this week! New photos and some streamlined information to make the recipe even easier. I hope you’ll keep a jar in your fridge this summer! 😎
7. I finished The Midnight Library while at the hospital last week and LOVED it. So incredibly thought-provoking and an easy, quick read. Next up on my list is Demon Copperhead, but I haven’t started it yet.
8. My husband discovered the Twitter account Today Years Old, and I feel like I have literally been doing everything wrong my entire life 🤦🏻♀️
9. I loved this article about The Wonder Years; it made me want to go back and rewatch the original from the beginning >> “The Wonder Years” Captured Youth in Suburbia Like Never Before on TV
10. TGIF! These two are still loving the cuddles every night!
Happy Mother’s Day! Glad all 3 of your kiddos (+2 furry ones) are doing well…so sorry re the strep throat though. It is rough as an adult!
Love your Friday reports on Dominic & your whole family! My mother’s name was Isabelle & she would have been so thrilled that the name has become so popular these days!
Happy Mother’s Day, Michelle!
I love your blog and recipes! Can’t believe that Isabelle is kindergarten age already! Nice to see Dominic’s hair growing out – he’ll need long locks for his rock-n-roll gigs! 😁and wow, Joseph is looking pretty grown up in his picture. Thank you for sharing your family!
Good books- Stranger in the Boat by Mitch Album, Remarkedly Bright Creaturesby Shelby Van Pelt, Wrong Place, Wrong Time by Gillian
Hope your May finishes off smoothly!
Praying that everything continues to go well for Dominic, and that one day soon, he can be completely finished with his treatments.
Hi chef I like to wish you HAPPY MOTHERS DAY 🌹🌹🌹🍵🧁🌞😎
Happy Mother’s Day to you Michelle. Congratulations to Isabelle, I wish you well in kindergarten. Dominic, I bet you will make some beautiful music very soon, keep playing that guitar. And Joseph, what an accomplishment, such a brave big brother.
It warms my insides knowing Dominic is so cheered by music therapy. We have two music therapists where I work and the positive feedback from patients and families is fantastic. Amazing what songs and good ol’ “rock and roll” can do to lift spirits!
Keep the joyful new coming!
Hi Michelle, Music is meditation and delight! For easy learning and faster success, I wholeheartedly recommend the UKULELE!
Only 4 strings, and small enough to hold easily. I joined a group almost 6 years ago knowing nothing. I did online short tutorials, and just kept trying to catch up and play along. And you sing – really makes endorphins fill your mind.
Dominic, (and all of you) should give it a try.
Much love, Anne
Thank you for years of excellent recipes, sharing your amazing family.
Enjoy Demon Copperfield….a real page turner, though not for faint of heart.
Happy Mothers Day,
Have meant to reach out sooner. Love your blog, your family and delicious recipes which I’ve used for years.
You will enjoy demon Copperfield. It’s an incredible book. Ditto agree with what you said about The Wonder Years fantastic show. Have a very happy Mother’s Day!
I recommend, in the strongest way to NOT read Demon Copperhead!
It is 100% a downer. Just unrelieved misery and drugs, drugs, drugs. Children left behind by the social services. Poor decisions by everyone at every turn.
Our book club read it but no one could finish it. Barbara Kingsolver grinds her message in with anger. There is no charm or humor, like David Copperfield. She is no Dickens!
I love reading your emails. I can commiserate about the dental work as I have had a lot in the past three weeks also! I belong to a book club, and we have had several good books lately. Thought I would mention them to you. We are reading one now (true story) called At First Light. Our last book was The Rose code, both are good reads. Last month we did Beneath a Scarlet Sky, excellent. Have you ever read A Gentleman in Moscow, it is very interesting and thought provoking. There’s The Alice Network, and I like Stephanie Meyers books! So many good books for time spent waiting in the hospital! I’m a partially retired RN and my husband retired from the Nevada Test site. We raised five children and live in Las Vegas. Hang in there, I hope Dominic continues to do well!
Thanks a lot! Do you have any idea how much time I spent looking at Today Years Old?!!! Also found it on Facebook.
I thought about Joseph when I read about the peanut allergy treatment trial. Hopefully it will make life easier for so many kids & their families.
I can’t believe Isabelle will be going to Kindergarten in the fall. Where does time go?
Hope you got good news after Dominic’s latest treatment. He’s so cute playing the guitat.
And HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY to you!! The past year has been tough on you & I respect your strength & positivity. You’re a GREAT mom!!
I am so loving the upbeat news this week! Hooray and congratulations to Isabelle for heading to first grade! I love hearing that Dominic has found a passion for music (and especially rock n’ roll – ha). He may need his own guitar soon. And isn’t it wonderful when, out of the blue, your child says or does something that vividly tells you they are growing up???! Kudos to Joseph! And kudos to you, too, Mom. You are doing a great job. xoxo
My commnt about peonies – I forgot my name and email address.
“Where do I put my fingers to play rock and roll” Cracked me up and put a big smile on my face. You have to find humor in what life hands out sometimes. Your children are so blessed to have you as their mama.
Blessings to you and the family Michelle. Have a lovely Mothers Day!
Rock ON!, dear Dominic!!!
Take care of yourself, brave Michelle. You are a strong, successful woman. An inspiration to all and a blessing to your family. Happy Mother’s Day.
So happy to hear the kids are doing so well !!! Congratulations Isabelle 🎉. When we hear the guitar & the rock n roll music next door we’ll know who’s playing it !!! You go Dominic 😊. Joseph is so grown up now ! Hard to believe!!! Glad to hear you’re over your illness ! Enjoy the summer 😊😊😊😊. Love to all 💕
Hi Michelle! If you loved The Midnight Library, you will also love The Measure by Nikki Erlick. I can’t wait to see Dominic’s rock and roll music video.
Ah Michelle, you HAVE NOT been doing things wrong your whole life. Just look at your amazing children….Your family has been on a scary journey for the past 1+ years. You are still standing. Your updates on your family are great. We get to cheer you guys on and send loads of prayers for the family. Be kind to yourself.