A traditional German baked Christmas treat
For the Cookies:
- 3cupsall-purpose flour(plus extra for kneading)
- 1¼teaspoonsground nutmeg
- 1¼teaspoonsground cinnamon
- ½teaspoonground cloves
- ½teaspoonground allspice
- ¾cuplight brown sugar
For the Glaze:
- 1cupconfectioner's sugar
- 1Tablespoonlemon juice
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- 2. Sift together the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Set aside.
- 3. Beat the egg and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl.
- 4. Beat in the honey and molasses until thoroughly combined.
- 5. On low speed, stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- 6. Turn the dough out from the bowl onto a well-floured surface. Knead the dough, adding more flour as kneaded, until a stiff dough is formed.
- 7. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 2 hours or overnight.
- 8. On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough into a 9x12-inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 18 3x2-inch rectangles. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- 9. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Whisk together the confectioner's sugar, water and lemon juice and brush or spread on top of the cookies.
- 10. Allow the glaze to firm, and then store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.