Super Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies
These perfectly chewy, buttery M&M cookies are quick to make (no chilling required) and easy to eat! Great for making ahead, with a simple recipe that is fun for bakers of all ages!
A warm, chewy, chocolate chip cookie is my go-to, but there is something about candy that just hits the sweet tooth differently. Peanut Butter M&Ms were my favorite in college, and my grandma had a habit of keeping whatever she knew we loved stashed away in a tin on her stairway. There was always a steady supply of peanut butter M&Ms waiting for me.
Something about those bright colors, the chocolate, the hard shell – make them so perfect and beautiful in a cookie. I’ve wanted to revamp this recipe for some time, and I am so happy to share this new and improved version with you!
These cookies are wonderfully soft with the perfect amount of chewiness and are loaded with M&Ms… a candy lover’s dream cookie!
How to make M&M cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and line two baking sheets
- In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside
- Using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and both kinds of sugar
- Add your egg and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture
- Lower the speed on your mixer and slowly add your flour mixture, beating until smooth
- Finally, fold in your M&M candies
- Place scoops of dough two inches apart on the lined baking sheets
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges are set but the cookie is still pale in color
- Cool in pan for five minutes, and then finish on a wire rack
Tips & tricks for baking M&M cookies
- How do they keep from melting? The candy shell keeps the melted chocolate contained, making the candies perfectly soft.
- Making sure your dough is all the same size will ensure your cookies bake evenly! Finding a good scoop for this is key, and I love using this one myself!
- I use regular size M&Ms in this recipe, but you could definitely use mini M&Ms if you’d like!
- Using seasonal M&Ms in this recipe is really simple, and freezing a batch of holiday cookies for gifts is always a hit.
- Mix-Ins: You can swap out some of the M&Ms for chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, Reese’s Pieces, or other candies, to make your own candy-cookie creation!
Storage and Freezing
- The cookies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Freezing Cookies: Once baked and cooled, you can freeze these cookies for up to 3 months in an airtight container (just let them defrost for a bit before you bite in).
- Freezing Dough: The dough is also great in the freezer for up to 3 months. Scoop balls of the dough into an airtight container with parchment paper layered between the dough. For a quick snack or when you’re ready for a batch, pull the dough out, and bake at 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes.
More delicious cookie recipes
- Monster Cookie Bars
- Monster Cookies
- Soft Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Compost Cookies
I would absolutely love it if you tried these M&M cookies the next time you’re craving something sweet; if you do, please stop back and leave a rating and let me know how you liked it! ENJOY! 😍
Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies
- 1¾ cup (340.2 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (1 teaspoon) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1 teaspoon) kosher salt
- ½ cup (227 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup (226.8 g) light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (56.7 g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon (1.5 teaspoons) vanilla extract
- 1½ cup (208 g) M&M candies (or combo of M&Ms and chocolate chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F; line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat to combine, another 1 minute.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, beating until the dough just comes together. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix in the M&Ms.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball, placing them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake until the edges are set but the cookies are still quite pale, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Equipment: Sheet pans / cookie scoop
- Mix-Ins: You can substitute or mix and match add-ins as desired. Some ideas - semisweet chocolate chips, mini M&Ms, butterscotch chips, Reese's Pieces, other candies, etc. Use seasonal M&Ms for holidays!
- Storage: You can keep the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Freezing Dough: Place balls of cookie dough in an airtight container (place parchment between layers) and freeze for up to 3 months. Baked from frozen at 350 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Freezing Cookies: Wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container or resealable bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature then enjoy!
Photography by Lauren Grant.