Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies
I’ll be honest… there are very few things that can get me to stray from a plain ol’ chocolate chip cookie… They are (in no particular order): oatmeal and raisins, peanut butter, more chocolate, and candy. That’s really about it. I don’t need things like cinnamon, icing, nuts, or the myriad of other things that are sometimes stuffed inside cookies. Just give me chocolate, oatmeal, peanut butter or candy, and I’m happy.
Admittedly, I wasn’t an M&M freak as a kid, but I grew into a huuuuuuuge Peanut Butter M&M freak in college (not so shocking, I know). My grandma had a habit of keeping whatever she knew we loved stashed away in a tin on her stairway, and there was always a steady supply of peanut butter M&Ms waiting for me. Grandma’s are just the best, aren’t they?
I didn’t eat a lot of M&Ms in cookie form growing up, but now I’m totally enamored by how pretty they are. Perfectly round, soft and chewy cookies, speckled on top with a rainbow of colored candies. Having chocolate in them helps, too, of course.
I adapted Alton Brown’s “The Chewy” recipe to make them M&M friendly and I think they were the absolute perfect base for these. They baked up to the exact thickness and consistency as I was hoping, and were a perfect vehicle for loads of candy-coated chocolates.
With school coming to an end, these cookies would be an awesome snack to have on hand for the kids during the summer, or to bring to summer picnics…
… for the adults, too, of course :)
One year ago: Dirt Dessert
Two years ago: Mocha Brownies
Three years ago: Soba Noodle Stir-Fry with Spicy Almond Butter Sauce
Four years ago: Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies and Honey-Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
Five years ago: Anadama Bread
Six years ago: Chicken Fajita Enchiladas
Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies
Perfectly soft and chewy cookies dotted with M&M’s.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 12 ounces (about 2¾ cups + 1 scant tablespoon) bread flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces (about ¼ cup) granulated sugar
- 8 ounces (about 1 cup) light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&M candies, divided
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat together the melted butter and both sugars on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the whole egg, the egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract in a measuring cup or small bowl. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the egg mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Once the flour mixture is incorporated, add ½ cup of the M&Ms and stir in by hand with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F; place oven racks in the top third and bottom third of the oven.
- Scoop the dough into 1½-ounce portions onto parchment-lined half sheet pans, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake 2 sheets at a time for 15 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Remove from the oven, slide the parchment with the cookies onto a cooling rack and press extra M&Ms onto the tops of the cookies. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Leftover cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.