OREO Rice Krispies Treats
This past Sunday, our friends came over for a visit with their 3-year-old and 6-month-old girls. We planned a light lunch since they had dinner plans, and I immediately started brainstorming what I could serve.
Here’s the thing. I have zero experience with toddlers. As in, zero. My sister and I are two years apart and all of my cousins were born in relatively close proximity to me, so we were all kids at the same time. No one in my family or my Chief Culinary Consultant’s family have had babies. Long story short, I drew a huge blank as to what to serve a 3-year-old, and all I knew was that she’s picky and has no allergies.
In the end, I decided to do cut up veggies and ranch for dipping, pretzels, hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls (they were a bigger hit with the adults than the toddler!), mac and cheese, and these Rice Krispies treats for something sweet. You should have seen her eyes light up when I said Oreos! Needless to say, these were a huge hit with everyone, and one was definitely not enough.
I love this recipe for Rice Krispies treats, as it yields really huge, bakery-style treats. And really, what dessert is not improved by the addition of Oreo cookies?
Exactly. Trust the 3-year-old.
Cookies and Cream Rice Krispies Treats
- ½ cup (113.5 g) unsalted butter
- 8 cups (600 g) miniature marshmallows
- 10 cups (280 g) Rice Krispies cereal
- 20 Double Stuff Oreo Cookies, coarsely chopped
- Grease a 9x13-inch pan; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the Rice Krispies, then fold in the chopped Oreo cookies.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer. Allow to set at room temperature until firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Cut into squares and serve. Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days.