Quick & Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is one of those ultimate comfort foods – it’s warm, hearty and totally hits the spot on a chilly evening. A long, long time ago (at least 10 years, I would imagine), my mom, sister and I went to my grandparents for lunch on a random Saturday during the winter. My grandma pulled a chicken pot pie out of the oven that was absolutely out-of-this-world. The crust was flaky and golden brown, while the filling was thick and full of chicken and vegetables. Most classic recipes for chicken pot pie involve a hefty amount of prep time, so when I asked my grandma for the recipe, I was shocked at how easy it was. I’ve been making this recipe during the fall and winter ever since. My grandparents came over for lunch on Sunday, so I decided to surprise my grandma by whipping up the recipe she had gifted me with years ago. It was a huge hit with everyone!
I’ve always been an advocate of using natural ingredients and cooking from scratch 90% of the time. Let’s be real, though. Sometimes you just have one of those days… the days that make up that other 10% of the time. Those are the days you’ll find me eating pizza (that the delivery guy brought), a burger and fries from Five Guys, a blue box of macaroni and cheese, saltine crackers with cheese or peanut butter & jelly, cold cereal, or some other type of convenience food. It doesn’t happen all the time, but it happens. For those days, I love having recipes like this. Using a baking mix for the crust, already cooked chicken (hello grocery store rotisserie chicken!) and frozen veggies makes this completely doable on a week night.
Plus, it’s just plain delicious :)
Quick & Easy Chicken Pot Pie
For the Bottom Crust:
- 1 cup Bisquick
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
For the Filling:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup Bisquick
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas & green beans)
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups cooked, cubed chicken
For the Top Crust:
- ½ cup Bisquick
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare the Bottom Crust: In a medium bowl, use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the Bisquick until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the milk until the mixture begins to form a ball. Pat the dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 5 minutes, or until just turning light brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Prepare the Filling: Heat the butter in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until melted. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the Bisquick, chopped onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir in the chicken broth, then stir in the frozen vegetables.
- Return the mixture to the stove over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches a boil. Once a full boil is reached, continue stirring for another 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the chicken. Pour the chicken mixture into the prepared crust.
- Prepare the Top Crust: In a small bowl, whisk together the Bisquick, milk and melted butter until smooth. Pour the mixture evenly over the filling. Use a rubber spatula or offset spatula to gently spread it to the edge of the pie plate.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.