Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms
This easy recipe for chicken with mushrooms starts with breaded and pan-fried chicken cutlets that are set on top of sliced mushrooms, then covered with more mushrooms and mozzarella cheese, and baked until golden brown.
Last summer, a couple of months before I was due with Dominic, my aunt emailed me this recipe for chicken with mushrooms, telling me that she had made it multiple times and that she and my uncle really enjoyed it, and she thought it would be a nice easy dinner recipe to keep on hand for after I had the baby.
I saved it, then a few weeks later, she brought it to one of our Sunday dinners so I could taste it for myself (how awesome is she?!). It was indeed delicious – the chicken was moist and tender, there was tons of mushrooms, and you really can’t beat anything smothered in cheese, right!?
My grandma used to make “chicken with mushrooms” regularly on Sundays, and it’s a dish that every single person in my family has tried to replicate, but no one has nailed it yet. Her chicken with mushrooms was a little different – she just dredged the chicken in flour, pan fried then simmered with the mushrooms in some chicken broth. No eggs or bread crumbs, no cheese, and no oven.
Her version was fantastic and everyone loved it, but if we can’t master it, then perhaps this recipe can become the new chicken with mushrooms for our family.
Coming full circle with the story, I have made this since Dominic was born and it IS really quick and easy. I was able to get the recipe assembled and into the oven while Joseph played with some toys on the kitchen floor and Dominic sat in his bouncy chair. Every time I’m able to complete a task with both boys awake or get them both down for a nap at the same time on my own, I seriously feel like super woman. The bar for a successful day has gone wayyyyyyyy down since I became a mom of two, ha!
While I’m totally loving this recipe as-is, I think the pan-fried cutlets would be an awesome base for an easy chicken Parmesan. If you keep some sauce in the pantry or freezer, it would be equally as quick!
Cheesy Chicken with Mushrooms
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (108 g) Italian bread crumbs
- 16 ounces (453.59 g) sliced mushrooms, divided
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 2 pounds (907.18 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces (226.8 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (235 ml) chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread half of the sliced mushrooms over the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Place the eggs and bread crumbs in two separate shallow dishes (pie plates work great for this).
- Dip the chicken breasts in the egg, then into the bread crumbs, patting them to adhere.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat until melted. Add half of the breaded chicken to the pan and saute until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on top of the mushrooms in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining butter and chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the remaining sliced mushrooms over the chicken, then top with the shredded mozzarella cheese. Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and browned, and the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- I recommend using the thin sliced chicken breasts, or chicken tenders.
- This dish is also great with Swiss cheese instead of mozzarella.
- You can choose to cover the dish with aluminum foil while baking to retain the juices, however the mozzarella cheese will not brown.