Seven Layer Salad
Seven Layer Salad with tons of delicious add-ins like bacon, cheese, hard-boiled eggs and more! The dressing is killer and totally makes it!
Picnic food is, without a doubt, some of my favorite food around. Hot dogs charred to a crisp on the grill… potato salad… baked beans… coleslaw… watermelon! You name it, and I’ll fill my plate with it at a picnic. I’ve had versions of this 7-layer salad at countless family picnics growing up, and it’s no wonder that I love it so much. Two main reasons:
1) It’s filled with lots of stuff. Like Elaine from Seinfeld, I love a big salad with lots of stuff. Things like bacon, cheese and hard-boiled eggs definitely make salads infinitely more appealing.
2) The dressing mimics the one that my grandma uses in her legendary broccoli salad. I could drink that dressing!
I couldn’t come across any family recipes for this salad, as I think it’s one of things that you just know and throw together.
I did three sections of seven layers each, so that there was a superb mix of ingredients; no digging around for specific ingredients. Plus, more dressing throughout is good for everyone, right?!
With Memorial Day on our doorstep (hello, how is it the beginning of summer already?!), I thought some picnic food was in order. If you’re hosting a bash or going to one, this is a perfect dish that feeds an army and is a huge crowd-pleaser.
Have a fantastic holiday weekend; I hope you get to eat some awesome picnic food!
Watch How to Make Seven Layer Salad:
If You Like This Seven Layer Salad, Try These:
- Broccoli Salad
- Favorite Italian Pasta Salad
- Best Ever Potato Salad
- Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon, Mushrooms & Hard-Boiled Eggs
One year ago: Frozen Brownie Sundae
Two years ago: Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with Spicy Apple Glaze
Three years ago: Peanut Butter Brownies
Four years ago: Blackberry Pie Bars
Five years ago: Coconut Chocolate Chunk Brownies
Six years ago: Lighter Chicken Parmesan
Seven years ago: Taco Rice Salad
Seven Layer Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped, divided
- 1 cup (145 g) frozen peas, divided
- ½ (0.5) red onion, finely diced, divided
- 12 ounces (340.2 g) bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced, divided
- 1½ cups (169.5 g) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, divided
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup (230 g) sour cream
- 1 cup (224 g) mayonnaise
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients; set aside.
- Place one-third of the lettuce in the bottom of a trifle dish. Top with one-third each of the peas, red onion, bacon, hard-boiled egg, cheese and green onions. Spread one-third of the dressing over the top.
- Repeat layers again, ending with the dressing.
- For the last set of layers, begin again with the lettuce, peas and red onion, then cover with the remaining dressing. Top the dressing with the bacon, hard-boiled egg, cheese and green onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Salad should be eaten the day it is assembled.
[photos by The Almond Eater]