Super Sugar Cookies

Okay I’m a total junkie when it comes to sugar cookies – I LOVE these! I had always had problems with cookies not being flavorful enough or not really being chewy. These definitely came out perfect! Below is the recipe:

Super Sugar Cookies

COOKIES:
3/4 cup margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

1. Cream margarine and sugar well.

2. Add vanilla and eggs; combine well.

3. In separate bowl, sift the baking powder, salt and flour. Add to wet ingredients slowly until thoroughly combined.

4. Cookie dough must be chilled until firm, or overnight.

5. Remove dough from fridge and roll out to a 1/4-inch thickness.

6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

7. With cookie cutters or rim of drinking glass, cut out cookies.

8. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, depending on oven. Check often to prevent over cooking or burning. Cool on baking rack when done.

9. Meanwhile, prepare frosting – it’s a MUST for these cookies! (go all the way or not at all)

FROSTING
1 teaspoon real vanilla
1 stick real butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon cream or whole milk

10. Cream butter, milk and vanilla together.

11. Slowly add powdered sugar to butter until desired consistency. If you’d like, add liquid food coloring for festive cookies

***I had some trouble with the icing and needed to add a little more milk to thin it out and make it spreadable, but I may have done something wrong ;-) ***

12. When cookies are cooled, slather this heavenly frosting. For more texture and color, press the top of the cookie in sprinkles, colored sugar or just eat plain!

Source: Nestie Joelen&Louis

40 Responses to “Super Sugar Cookies”

1. Kayte on March 16, 2007 at 6:56 pm

i must try these! i think i will make the dough tonight and roll them out tomorrow. they look divine! hey! maybe i’ll get some green food coloring and make the icing green for st patty’s day!

2. Amber on March 17, 2007 at 12:38 pm

Those look really good. I think I will have to use that recipe next time I make sugar cookies.

3. Carrie on March 19, 2007 at 4:44 pm

These look really good… Hummm there has to be a reason for cookies this week…

4. smita on August 23, 2009 at 4:40 am

Lovely! How much approximately is 3/4th cup margarine in grams/ounces?

also instead of margarine can i use real butter ?

5. Michelle on August 26, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Hi Smita – 3/4 cup of margarine is 6 ounces. You could substitute real butter in this recipe. The cookies may spread a little (the margarine helps keep the exact shape), but I do use butter from time to time.

6. Tiffany on October 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm

This may sound weird, but I totally recommend eating these with a cup of black coffee!

7. Ram on October 8, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I would like to give this as a birthday gift but it will take 7 days in the mail. Do you think this will still be good after 2 weeks? Thanks.

8. Michelle on October 9, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Hi Ram,

I think they will still be edible after 2 weeks, but certainly not fresh. Do you happen to have the ability to vacuum seal them, like with a Food Saver or something like that? I think that would be your best option. If you don’t, I would recommend wrapping each one individually in plastic wrap and then placing in Ziploc bags. If you do ship them, I think that will keep them as fresh as possible.

9. Matthew on November 20, 2009 at 5:13 pm

About how many cookies does this recipe make? I’m going to try making some for the first time this weekend and decorate with the royal icing for Thanksgiving.

10. Michelle on November 23, 2009 at 12:13 am

Hi Matthew,

This makes about 2 dozen 3” cookies. The size of your cookies will be a large factor in how many you can yield from this recipe. I hope you enjoy the cookies! :)

11. Nicole on July 28, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Too salty! Recommend omitting the 1 tsp. salt when using margarine in recipe. Also no need to chill overnight ~just divide dough into 3 discs, cover with wax paper and put into fridge for 2-3 hours to chill. Roll out and make shapes. Perfect! Cookies held their shape very well during baking.

12. I have been wanting to learn to decorate cookies well. Your tutorial is wonderful and very helpful. I bought a wedding cake cookie cutter and my mom and I are making cookies tomorrow using your recipe and tutorial! Very excited!! :)

13. ann janette on October 24, 2010 at 8:15 am

This seventy-five year old grandmother just learned a wealth of imformation on cookie decorating and “I can’t wait to use it today!” Thanks much, Ann Janette

14. Ro on December 18, 2010 at 12:42 am

i made this recipe for both the cookies and the frosting last night. it totally rocked and i am making it again right now. love this tut thanks for sharing

15. jade on March 6, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Hi, I would like to make cookies with a wedding dress cutter and decorate and package each one in a cello bag. I’m making them for shower favors. Do you think I can make them a few weeks ahead?

• Michelle on March 8th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Hi Jade, You can certainly make the cookies a few weeks early and freeze them, and then decorate them a couple of days before the event.

16. tasha on May 21, 2011 at 1:23 am

Is the frosting royal icing?

• Michelle on May 21st, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Hi Tasha, No on these it is a buttercream.

17. Sarah on May 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

My dough never firmed up. I chilled it overnight but it is still sticky. I couldn’t roll it out for cookies so I ended up making rolled balls instead of shapes. Any suggestions what I did wrong? I want to try again because I would love to make some with cutters for my daughters birthday party.

18. Kelly on June 15, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Maybe I missed it, but how many cookies does this recipe make? I am looking to make around 60 cookies. Thanks for the help, and excited to try this recipe!!

• Michelle on June 15th, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Hi Kelly, It depends on how large your cut-out cookies are, but for 3-4″ cookies you’d be looking at around 2 dozen. Enjoy!

19. Kat on December 16, 2011 at 8:30 pm

These were too salty for me. :/ Should I add more sugar to help give it a sweeter taste?

• Michelle on December 17th, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Hi Kat, I wouldn’t increase the sugar. Instead, I would reduce the salt, bumping it down to 1/2 teaspoon to start with, could go as low as 1/4 tsp.

20. Rosie on December 28, 2011 at 8:39 pm

it says margarine but i dont like margarine. can i use butter instead

• Michelle on December 30th, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Hi Rosie, You can, but you may experience some spreading of the cookies. The margarine helps the cut-out cookies to keep their shape.

21. Jessica on March 5, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I made this dough yesterday and tried again tonight. Both times it failed. Yesterday I refrigerated it overnight and tried rolling it out tonight but it was too sticky to roll or cut. I literally had to scrape it off the counter. I made another batch tonight and tried to roll it out immediately but I had the same problem. Entirely too sticky to roll or cut!! What am I doing wrong?!
    HELP!!

• Michelle on March 6th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Hi Jessica, Are you flouring the counter before putting the dough down, and dusting the top with flour, as well as the rolling pin?

22. Pingback: Just A Bakin’ -

23. Nancy on August 22, 2012 at 3:43 am

These sugar cookies are exactly how I expect sugar cookies to be. Soft, pillowy, with a big spread of frosting. Yum! My dough was also a little sticky when I tried to roll it out, but I fixed it a bit by dusting on some more flour. Also, I had trouble frosting my heart shaped sugar cookies nicely, but I guess I just need to practice. ;) Thanks for the great recipe, Michelle!

24. Nancy on August 25, 2012 at 2:35 am

Okay, I just finished eating these and they are my most favorite cookies I have ever made. That icing, that cookie, just heavenly together. Thank you, Michelle!

25. Lisa on September 17, 2012 at 7:20 pm

After making the dough, how long will it keep in the fridge before baking?

• Michelle on September 26th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Hi Lisa, I would say about 2 days. If you want to make the dough further in advance, you can freeze it.

26. ana on November 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm

can i substitute almond extract instead of vanilla?

• Michelle on November 16th, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hi Ana, Yes, but I would use about half the amount, since almond extract is much stronger than vanilla.

27. Laura on October 15, 2013 at 7:55 pm

OMG, I can’t wait to make this recipe and your tutorial was so helpful too! One question, I would like to make chocolate sugar cookies, how much unsweetened cocoa should I add? Have you ever tried making a chocolate version?

28. Joyce Atkins on November 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I already had cookies made & was looking for a frosting recipe. I love the taste, but had to add more milk also, probably 3-4 T more. I used evaporated milk, which is the
    consistency of cream. Again, great flavor. Thanks!

29. Bobbie Martin on November 27, 2013 at 12:13 am

Hi! I’m looking for a sugar log type cookie that could be rolled in colored sugar before cutting and baking. Would these work if they were rolled into logs and cut before baking?

• Michelle on November 27th, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Hi Bobbie, I have not tried making this into a cut and slice cookie. If you do, please let me know how it turns out!