Baked Mac n’ Cheese

Nothing can you make you feel cozier than a big bowl of warm and creamy mac n’ cheese. I’ve had my eye out for a great homemade baked mac n’ cheese recipe for awhile now and I finally found one that I wanted to give a shot.

My review of the recipe is that it was extremely tasty – I loved it.

Baked Mac and Cheese
(Source: Amber of Amber’s Delectable Delights)

8 oz. elbow macaroni
4 Tbsp. butter, divided
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard (I omitted this because I didn’t have any)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup swiss cheese, divided
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

1) Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.

2) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3) Melt 2 T. butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and salt and stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in dry mustard. Add milk gradually, stirring constantly.

4) Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.

5) Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheddar, 1/4 cup of the mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of the swiss. Mix cheese sauce and macaroni in a large bowl. Spoon into a 9 x 7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar, mozzarella and swiss.

6) Melt remaining butter in saucepan over medium heat. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle on top of the cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes.

21 Responses to “Baked Mac n’ Cheese”

1. Amber on March 28, 2007 at 9:07 pm

Looks great!
    But I have no clue how you got a different texture than I did. It has been thick and casserole like whenever I made it, never runny. But I do love the flavor. Enjoy making it your own.

• cathy on November 10th, 2010 at 10:16 pm

my mac n cheese came out a little dry. not sure why. taste was great though!

2. Izzah on March 18, 2010 at 11:57 pm

hi again, :)

I want to know what type of swiss cheese you used in this mac and cheese dish?

3. Michelle {Brown Eyed Baker} on March 19, 2010 at 10:28 am

Hi Izzah,

Just regular Swiss cheese. I’ll buy whatever brand is on sale usually.

Hope that helps,
    Michelle

4. Cara1971 on May 27, 2010 at 11:23 am

I made a version of this to go with our menu for the “Lost finale”. LOL. In addition to some sliders, I made this mac n cheese dish and baked them in larger ramekins. I switched up the cheeses to be white cheddar, muenster and monterey. I also omitted the dry mustard. It was delish…thanks for the inspiration!!!!

• Michelle on June 1st, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Cara, I love the idea of baking this in individual ramekins! So glad you enjoyed a version of this!

5. Pingback: 10 of My Favorite Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

6. Pingback: 50 Fall Recipes (that are not apple pie) | Brown Eyed Baker

7. Pingback: Whatcha hungry for? | Brown Eyed Baker

8. Pingback: Baked Mac and Cheese | The Picky Apple

9. Dallas on December 24, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Hello – I wanted to add one more simple dish to my Christmas day feast and I thought I would do mac and cheese. Do you know how many this recipe will serve?

• Michelle on December 24th, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Hi Dallas! As a side dish, I would say about 6 to 8 servings. Merry Christmas! :)

10. Pingback: Three-Cheese Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker

11. Pingback: 45 Super Bowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLV | Brown Eyed Baker

12. Pingback: Top 10 Main Dish Dinner Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

13. Angela on August 24, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Hi Michelle, how do you feel about freezing this??? Maybe before you bake it and then when you take it out you can bake it?? Thoughts??

• Michelle on August 25th, 2011 at 11:37 am

Hi Angela, I haven’t done it, but I definitely think you could!

14. Pingback: Macaroni & Cheese Casserole | Brown Eyed Baker