Chicken Spread

I am hosting this month’s neighborhood girls’ night and have turned it into a spa margarita party! My sister is a consultant for an at-home spa company and I took the opportunity to invite the neighborhood girls over for a night of margaritas and pampering.

I made a chicken spread tonight and popped it in the fridge for tomorrow.

This chicken spread literally takes 5 minutes to throw together (now that I’m thinking about it, I didn’t really need to make it ahead… oh well, it’s the planner in me!). It’s a recipe that I received from my mom and one that is always popular at parties. I have received many requests for the recipe!

Chicken Spread (from my mom)

8-oz. cream cheese
Small onion, finely chopped
Small can (4.25-oz) canned chicken
1 T. mayonnaise
1 T. soy sauce

Blend all ingredients together with a hand mixer until creamy and combined.

Serve with your favorite crackers (I am partial to Ritz).

33 Responses to “Chicken Spread”

1. Amber on August 10, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Your pics are getting awesome Chelley! This looks wonderful.

2. Carrie on August 11, 2007 at 6:04 pm

Your dips make me drool!

3. jamaicamama on February 26, 2008 at 7:04 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I used it Superbowl nite and it was a hit esp. with the ladies! They could not get enough of it! In the interest of saving calories in the face of all the other goodies there were to eat, I did use a lite cream cheese and it did not hurt the flavor one bit. I also added some chopped parsley for color, grated the onion (so it would blend in a bit better) and served with reduced fat wheat thins.

This one’s a keeper! THanks again!

4. Pingback: Taco Dip | Brown Eyed Baker

5. Pingback: New Year’s Eve Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

6. Pingback: 45 Super Bowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLV | Brown Eyed Baker

7. Pingback: 100 Best Summer Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

8. Pingback: Top 10 Best Dip and Appetizer Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

9. Patricia on June 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

This looks delish! I have absolute trust in your recipes, Michelle, but I’m a bit hesitant about the soy sauce. A couple of people in our household are beyond “picky” and I’m concerned that the soy sauce flavor might be a bit strong for them. Is it very pronounced, or does it just enhance the overall flavor?

10. Michelle on June 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Hi Patricia, The soy sauce really just blends into the rest of the flavors and doesn’t stand out or is overpowering. If you’re worried, you could always start with 1 teaspoon and if they don’t notice, work up to 1 tablespoon ;-) I hope that helps!

11. Sarah on September 2, 2011 at 10:50 am

How many does this serve?

• Michelle on September 2nd, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Hi Sarah, I would say that it serves about 6 people.

12. Pingback: Top 10 List: Favorite Appetizer Recipes | Biz Chicks

13. Pingback: 4th of July Recipes and Desserts | Brown Eyed Baker

14. Pingback: Fontina-Stuffed, Bacon-Wrapped Dates | Brown Eyed Baker

15. Laura Magowan on November 8, 2011 at 12:08 am

Just made this dip for no other reason but to try it…And OMGosh….It is addicting…. with the ritz crackers… Bravo…Trying not to go back for more:)

16. Pingback: 75 of the Best Christmas Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

17. Holly on January 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I saw this recipe on Pinterest, and I thought it sounded good and easy. I made it this afternoon for a snack, and we all loved it! We had it with Ritz like you suggested, and the kids just ate it up! Thanks for the recipe!

18. Cathy O on January 9, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I have a really old recipe very similar to this. My recipe uses sour cream instead of mayo, worchestire sauce instead of soy, also has chives in it. Then, form it into a ball and roll in chopped nuts. I serve it with cocktail rye and pumpernickel breads.

19. Pingback: 75 Super Bowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLVI | Biz Chicks

20. Stulberger on February 12, 2012 at 10:09 am

I made this yesterday. A bit skeptical about canned chicken. It turned out great. Everyone loved it.

21. marcio on April 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Really tasty

22. Pingback: Party planning {Snacks} | With glitter in her veins…

23. Pingback: 4th of July Recipes 2012 | Biz Chicks

24. Sarah on February 5, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I made this for our Super Bowl party and it was nearly gone before I got a chance to sit down and have any myself! It was great with Ritz crackers and pretzels. I used lower fat mayo and cream cheese. I never know about the size of onions, so I just used two handfuls of chopped onion and called it good. Very tasty and easy!

25. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » 115 Recipes for Football Parties

26. Pingback: 115 Recipes for Football Parties | My Blog

27. Janae@ Jay Tried and True on October 12, 2013 at 10:00 am

Brought this to a friend’s house, it was delicious! Thank you for sharing!

28. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » 157 Christmas Cookies & Holiday Recipes

29. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » 159 New Year’s Eve Recipes

30. Jill on December 26, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I made this for Christmas. Im sorry to report it was a flop.
    No one liked it! :(
    Even though It was canned chicken, everyone thought it
    Tasted like tuna?!? Oh well- thanks anyways

31. Pingback: 142 Super Bowl Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker | Appliance Repair