Soft Pretzels: Part II

img_7389-2.jpg

Ahh, the beloved soft pretzel. Before this past winter I didn’t realize that making them at home was so relatively easy. Sure, it takes some time with the rising and the baking soda bath, but each step is pretty simple and they are well worth it! The last time that I made homemade soft pretzels, I used this recipe, and they turned out great. The major difference in this recipe is the rising time, which doesn’t exist in the other recipe. I think that’s what makes these much more plump. Also, the egg wash at the end gets the pretzels to brown up really nicely. I loved these pretzels, and I will be keeping this recipe as my standard soft pretzel recipe.

Soft Pretzel Recipe

(Source: i shot the chef)

1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 package (or 2-1/4 teaspoons) dry active yeast
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt

Soda Bath
6 cups water
3 Tablespoons baking soda

Topping
1 egg, beaten with 1 Tablespoon water
2 Tablespoons coarse sea salt

1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let stand for 10 minutes to bloom. Add the water/yeast along with the melted butter, brown sugar, salt and 2 3/4 cups of the flour to your heavy-duty mixer and knead dough for about 8 minutes, adding the last 1/4 cup of flour if necessary (I never needed to add this). You can also do this by hand. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky, but very uniform and smooth. Place dough in a large oiled bowl, and let rise for 1 hour, until doubled.

2. Punch down, and divide the dough into 12 equal shapes and form them into small balls. Cover with plastic wrap and let them rest for 15 minutes. Roll them into 20″ lengths and form them into pretzel shapes. If you notice them getting hard to roll (springing back), cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 5 minutes and then continue rolling out. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow the pretzels to rise for 1/2 hour. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

3. In a large pot, bring the baking soda and water to a boil. Add the pretzels one at a time to the boiling water for 1 minute. Press down into the boiling water with a spatula. Remove and place on a cooling rack. When cooled, transfer to a parchment lined sheet pan. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle generously with coarse sea salt and bake for 12-15 minutes, until dark brown.

Note: To ensure the dough is thoroughly kneaded, take a small piece and roll it into a ball. With your thumbs, stretch the dough until either it tears or becomes transparent in the center, also known as a window. If you cannot stretch the dough to form a window, knead a little longer.

Note #2: If you have a kitchen scale, use that to weigh out the 12 balls of dough. They should be right around 2 oz each.

Makes 12 Pretzels

20 Responses to “Soft Pretzels: Part II”

1. MrsPresley on October 20, 2007 at 8:48 pm

thanks for sharing this recipe! i’ve been wanting to try my hand at these :)

2. beth g. on October 21, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Those look delicious! I’ll definately give this a try soon, soft pretzels are so goooood!!

3. Heather on September 9, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I tried these and I flopped them big time :( They tasted like baking soda and doughy. I will try again but not in the near future since I am a little discouraged.

4. Michelle on September 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Hi Heather,

I am sorry to hear that these didn’t turn out well for you :( I do hope you’ll give them another shot, as they are my favorite soft pretzels!

5. Tiffany on October 6, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I just came across this recipe and tried it yesterday. YUM! I made regular, cinnamon and jalapeno :)

6. cathycicek82 on November 26, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Hiya

These looks lovely, I was wondering if they would freeze well.
    Thanks

7. Michelle on December 2, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Yes, actually these freeze wonderfully. Keep them in airtight bags and then reheat in the microwave, oven or even the toaster!

8. TheGreatYogurt on December 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Any idea on how long these will stay fresh and tasty? I’ve got a holiday event coming up that I’m planning on making them for and would like to know how far in advance I can whip them up.

9. Michelle on December 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm

These are definitely best the day that they are made. You could also make them ahead, freeze them, and then reheat them in the oven prior to serving.

10. Pingback: 50 Fall Recipes (that are not apple pie) | Brown Eyed Baker

11. Pingback: Soft Pretzels « Cooking with Chrissy

12. Pingback: Sugarcrafter » Blog Archive » Soft Pretzels

13. Pingback: Homemade Soft Pretzels « Social Kitchen

14. Annie on March 16, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I wanted to try and make these in a stick shape for a party – do you think I’d need to change anything besides how I shape them?

• Michelle on March 16th, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Hi Annie, Nope you don’t need to do anything different other than your shaping. Enjoy!

15. Pingback: 45 Super Bowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLV | Brown Eyed Baker

16. Stephanie Kindig on February 5, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I’ve tried many soft pretzel recipes for our annual Super Sunday gathering, but this one is by far the best.

17. Julia on September 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm

If I wanted to make these plumper, like the Mall Pretzels, would all I have to do to change this recipe be to make the dough plumper/thicker when forming it into the pretzel shape? Would that effect the rising or baking times? Thanks! :)

18. Pingback: Homemade Granola Bars | Pumpkin Granola Bars | Brown Eyed Baker