How to Build a Baking Pantry, Part IV: Equipment (Advanced)

baking-pantry-equipment-collage

[This is Part Four in a four-part series on stocking a baking pantry. You can catch up on ingredients by checking out How to Build a Baking Pantry, Part I: Ingredients (Beginner) and How to Build a Baking Pantry, Part II: Ingredients (Advanced). Check out basic equipment in the previous post - How to Build a Baking Pantry, Part III: Equipment (Basic).]

Here we are, on the last leg of the Building a Baking Pantry series, rounding out all of the equipment you may want to add to your wish list or shopping list. This list is comprised of what you’ll find in my equipment cabinet (combined with the basic list), and I think it’s pretty all-encompassing; however there are seemingly countless specialty and novelty pans, funky gadgets and other fun things that are out there. I kept this list to what I think most bakers keep stocked, keeping in mind that based on individual tastes or interests you definitely could have much more than this!

There are a lot of things I have that I really like, and for those particular products I have linked to them below. Some other stuff I am ambivalent about and didn’t want to plug particular brands that I didn’t feel strongly about, so that’s why you will see links to some things and not others.

Enjoy!

Electrics

♦  Stand mixer. The KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart and the KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart models are pretty standard in most home kitchens, but I have heard great reviews about the Cuisinart 7-Quart and Viking 7-Quart models as well.

♦  Stand mixer attachments – I have the KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker and Pasta Roller attachments.

♦  Extra bowl, beater, and whisk for stand mixer.

♦  Food processor. I have the Cuisinart 11-cup model and love it. If you’re going to buy one I wouldn’t recommend one smaller than 9 cups.

♦  Pizzelle iron.

Pans

♦  More cake pans. If you are getting into cake decorating either as a hobby or as a potential business, you’ll need more sizes and shapes. I have been thrilled with the Magic Line pans that I have.

♦  Tart pan (with removable bottom).

♦  10″ springform pan.

♦  Miniature springform pans – nothing like your own personal cheesecake! Williams Sonoma sells a 4-piece set.

♦  Miniature tart pans.

♦  Miniature muffin tin – 24-cup capacity.

♦  Jumbo muffin tin.

♦  Tube (angel food cake) pan.

♦  Pizza stone.

♦  Madeleine pan.

Tools/Utensils/Gadgets

♦  Kitchen scale. I talked about scales in this post, which includes a number of recommendations.

♦  More liquid measuring cups. I like having 4-cup, 2-cup and 1-cup varieties.

♦  More dry measuring cups. I have three sets.

♦  More measuring spoons. I keep two sets on hand (but as I mentioned in my last post, my Crate & Barrel set are double-sided, so I really have three sets).

♦  Digital instant-read thermometer. I have this one, but really want this one.

♦  Bench scraper .

♦  Pastry bags and decorating tips. I think disposable bags are great and you can find them as well as a variety of tips at any craft store like Michaels, JoAnn Fabrics or Hobby Lobby.

♦  Fine-mesh sieve.

♦  Citrus reamer.

♦  Cheesecloth.

♦  Kitchen timer. Even if you have a timer on your oven, a separate timer is a great idea for when you are preparing more than one thing at a time.

♦  Nonstick baking mat (Silpat).

♦  Cookie scoops – a set of large, medium and small is great.

♦  Spider skimmer – perfect for flipping over and scooping bagels out of their water bath!

♦  Prep bowls. I have these Martha Stewart prep bowls and these Mario Batali measuring prep bowls. The Mario Batali ones are great because they serve as an extra dry measuring set!

♦  Pastry mat. Great for kneading bread, rolling out pie crust or cut-out cookie dough.

♦  Dough rising bucket – keep track of whether your dough has doubled yet when you’re making bread.

♦  Lame – to slash bread.

♦  Candy thermometer.

♦  Apple corer/slicer.

♦  Cherry pitter.

♦  Pie weights.

♦  Biscuit cutters (fluted and straight-edge)

Did I miss anything?
If you have something that is essential to your baking and I have somehow missed it, please let me know and I’ll edit the list to include it!

I hope you’ve enjoyed this series and have been able to add some new things to your kitchen wish list! Please let me know if you have any questions about specific ingredients or equipment – I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.

How to Build a Baking Pantry Series:
Part I: How to Build a Baking Pantry, Ingredients (Beginner)
Part I: How to Build a Baking Pantry, Ingredients (Advanced)
Part III: How to Build a Baking Pantry, Equipment (Basic)
Part IV: How to Build a Baking Pantry, Equipment (Advanced)

Make sure you don’t miss a post – subscribe to the Brown Eyed Baker RSS feed!

23 Responses to “How to Build a Baking Pantry, Part IV: Equipment (Advanced)”

1. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on September 4, 2009 at 1:20 am

Wow, there’s so much I dont have!! This is like my wishlist!

2. Whitney on September 4, 2009 at 4:52 am

This is exactly what I have been looking for. This is a great guide, and something I will reference now and in the future. I also think that you need one Sil-pat per cookie sheet. I’ve found it makes things so much easier. Thanks for the great series of posts!

3. Deanna@marzipan on September 4, 2009 at 6:10 am

I think I need to stop shopping ( I won’t admit that to my husband tho!)… I have everything but the madeleine pan and the pizelle iron. I’ll save those for my Christmas list. I can’t think of anything you missed, except maybe a portable cupcake/treat carrier. I just love this one.

4. shelly (cookies and cups) on September 4, 2009 at 8:07 am

These baking pantry entries have been great and I am sure took you a long time…thanks for all the tips!

5. Liz Brooks on September 4, 2009 at 8:59 am

Thanks for sharing this! So much I want and need:) I am splurging on a Big Mixer very soon.

6. BigSis on September 4, 2009 at 9:22 am

Hi Michelle, great job on this series! Half the fun of baking to me is all the fun goodies you have to buy! I love the Martha Stewart prep bowls, and the idea of being able to use Mario’s for measuring is awesome. I just wish they came in pink! Orange is probably the only color I don’t love. Anyway, keep up the excellent work. This is really valuable info!

7. Michelle on September 4, 2009 at 10:00 am

Thanks for all of the feedback!

BigSis – those Mario Batali bowls actually come in different colors, although I don’t think pink is one of them, but definitely check Amazon!

8. MARCIA on September 4, 2009 at 11:23 am

An off set spatula is a must for frosting cakes/cupcakes. They come in different sizes for different frosting jobs. The smaller ones are great for spreading in a square or rectangular baking pan.

9. Megan on September 4, 2009 at 12:39 pm

A scale, a spider, a larger food processor, and an ice cream maker are all high on my list!

Do you like the ice cream maker attachment for the KitchenAid, or do you think it makes more sense to get a free-standing one?

10. Eliana on September 4, 2009 at 1:52 pm

What a great end to a wonderful series.

11. Ram on September 4, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I have a few additions:

Tart Tamper with 2 different ends
    Cooling Racks
    Cookie cutters
    small thick bottomed saucepan
    Aluminum Foil, Cling Wrap, Wax Paper, Freezer Bags
    Metal Ruler
    Cake Leveler
    Ice cream scoops different sizes

Thank you for providing us with a very useful list.

• NyRicanBeautii on November 21st, 2013 at 4:49 pm

She had cooling racks, cookie cutters, and parchment paper already. I believe it was in the beginners equipment list.

12. Dianna on September 4, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I’m LOVING these posts! The pastry mat will certainly do, but I have to say I love my Williams Sonoma marble board. It’s just a little bit heavier though!

13. Tiffany on September 6, 2009 at 1:18 pm

This is so going in my reference index!! Thanks for opening up your pantry!

14. Dave on September 8, 2009 at 1:45 am

I’m not really a “serious baker,” but it turns out that I do have nearly all the equipment on your lists. A well-equipped kitchen is ready for anything! =)

15. Meghan on September 8, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Thank you so much for putting links to the products you recommend! Once I decided to buy a kitchen item I’m always looking for recommendations!

16. Kat on September 12, 2009 at 1:59 pm

So, I’m looking to replace my icky non-stick grocery-store round cake pans. I have two Chicago Metallic half sheet pans which I just ADORE! The Magic Line you suggest is cheaper, but it sounds like you really like them, and that means quite a bit to me!
    Do you have any experience with the Chicago Metallic pans? How do they compare to the Magic Line? Which way would you go?
    I sure appreciate your help, as well as your wonderful blog!!
    ~Kat

17. Michelle on September 16, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Hi Kat,

I do not have any experience with Chicago Metallic bake ware, but I do definitely love my Magic Line pans! I’m sorry I can’t provide a comparison, but if you really like the Chicago Metallic, then maybe try one round each of the Chicago and Magic Line and do a side by side comparison?

Would love to hear what you think if you do the comparison!

18. Kat on January 2, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Hi Michelle~
    For Christmas my ever-so-awesome husband gave me three 8″ Chicago Metallic cake pans. I finally used them this evening, and I’m in LOVE with them! It would still be fun to compare them to the Magic Line, but I’m very content for now.
    Happy New Year!

19. Judy on February 3, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Hi Michele-
    I just discovered your website today by accident and I LOVE it!! I’ve already found several recipes I want to try. I bake a lot for the local Senior Center since my family is grown and gone. Now when I want to try something I bring it to the Center for my friends to try. Thanks again for a wonderful site. Judy

• Michelle on February 14th, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Judy, What a wonderful way to share your love of baking!

20. Katrina on July 15, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Hi! I found your site today through Food Buzz Congratz on making top 9! I love your site and this series If your still checking these comments I would love to know what kind of Pizza stone you use I’ve been looking for one but there are so many to choose from