36 Fabulous Recipes for Summer

Summer Days
(Summer of 1983 – that’s me standing, and my sister in what I am pretty sure is a sandbox.)

For most of us, Memorial Day weekend is the “unofficial-official” start to summer. I celebrated the occasion by making Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and digging shorts and tank tops out of the depths of my closet. Even though the weather has already turned hot and muggy, summer didn’t really hit me until last night. Driving home on the PA Turnpike, I started to see bright flashes along the sides of the road. I realized instantly that they were lightning bugs. The first time I see them each year, I get ridiculously excited. Just seeing them immediately takes me back to being a kid and enjoying carefree summer days… sprinklers, games of tag and hide n’ go seek, slip n’ slides, and summer nights running barefoot through the cool grass with an empty jar trying to catch the glowing bugs that inspired such awe. Now summer is here.

So in honor of yet another unofficial start to summer, I put together a list of great summer-inspired recipes here on Brown Eyed Baker. The vast majority are light, refreshing, and quick (perfect when you don’t want to spend a lot of time indoors!), and use seasonal ingredients. Enjoy!

Summer Recipes - 1

Cucumber-Tomato Bruschetta in Phyllo Cups
Fontina-Stuffed, Bacon-Wrapped Dates
Polenta Pizza Appetizer
Parmesan & Thyme Crackers

Summer Recipes - 2

(starting at the top, going down the left side, then the right)

Classic Lemonade
Blackberry Pie Bars
Peach Crumb Bars
Hidden Berry Cream Cheese Torte
Stained Glass Jello (perfect for the 4th of July!)
Blueberry Boy Bait

Italian Chicken Salad Sandwich
The Signature Salad
Potato Salad with Herbed Balsamic Vinaigrette
Roasted Shrimp and Orzo
Cobb Salad
Chicken Salad
Ice Cream (will take you to a listing of all ice cream recipes)

Summer Recipes - 5

Strawberry Tart
Blueberry-Buttermilk Scones
Danish Braid
Croissants
Blueberry Pie
Antipasto Salad
Panzanella
Orange Berry Muffins

35 Responses to “36 Fabulous Recipes for Summer”

1. Maria on June 14, 2010 at 10:16 am

Love them all! Wow! I better get in the kitchen so I can try them all by the end of summer.

2. Katrina on June 14, 2010 at 10:30 am

These ideas are great! I’m always looking for new recipes.

3. Heather (Heather's Dish) on June 14, 2010 at 11:13 am

yes PLEASE to all of those! i was literally drooling the whole post… :)

4. Eliana on June 14, 2010 at 11:14 am

What an awesome post. I’ll take one serving of everything please :)

5. Jenny Flake on June 14, 2010 at 11:27 am

Perfect recipes for this summer!

6. Lauren Norris on June 14, 2010 at 11:28 am

OMG that picture is so cute! Where did you find that at???

7. Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes on June 14, 2010 at 11:36 am

I could literally cook my way through this entire collection. I do have to add something to the list, though! My ice cream cupcakes – definitely perfect for summer!

8. Daydreamer Desserts on June 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

Yay for Summer, my favorite season! These all look wonderful, thanks for sharing!

9. Tina from PA on June 14, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Great post , never been disapointed with any recipe I’ve tried from your blog. I remember growing up in Pittsburgh , summer was family reunions and swimming at North Park ! Oh the good old days!!

10. Belinda @zomppa on June 14, 2010 at 3:27 pm

That’s an awesome photo! And the food…can I order these everyday from you for 36 days? =)

11. Married to an Aussie in OK on June 14, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Yuuuuuuummmmm….. *drool*

12. marla {family fresh cooking} on June 14, 2010 at 5:32 pm

What a fantastic line up of summer goodies! Love the sandbox photo!

13. Joan on June 14, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Great post!

14. The Housewife on June 14, 2010 at 6:56 pm

So many recipes to try out this summer! The Stained Glass Jello looks so pretty! I love summer too.. although my memories always take me back to Madras where I grew up! Summer meant mango season and I miss that right now… Hopefully I get to spend next summer at home! :)

15. mayra on June 14, 2010 at 8:57 pm

OMG they all look so delicious! Love them all and want to make them all!

16. shannon abdollmohammadi on June 14, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Thanks so much!!! I can not wait to make some of these.

17. Cookin' Canuck on June 14, 2010 at 11:26 pm

There are so many great recipes to try! I am particularly drawn to the bruschetta in phyllo cups. They look so refreshing and light.

18. Kathy Diaz (found baking) on June 15, 2010 at 2:34 am

This is why I love summer!

19. notyet100 on June 15, 2010 at 3:05 am

the click above reminds me of my sisters,…lovely post as always

20. Amy on June 15, 2010 at 6:38 am

What a wonderful picture of you & your sister.
    These recipes look fantastic – some I’ve tried (and were great) and some I’ve got set aside to make.

21. bunkycooks on June 15, 2010 at 6:59 am

These all look so good! That you for sharing the list.

22. Sharlene (Wheels and Lollipops) on June 15, 2010 at 7:27 am

Summer is my favorite time of year as well. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipes.

23. Maggy @ThreeManyCooks on June 15, 2010 at 10:17 am

Great summer recipe round up! I will be back here throughout the summer to browse these great recipes.

24. Julie on June 15, 2010 at 11:38 am

Whoa! great post! thanks for listing all of these at once. I’ve already made a note of several of them that I will have to make during these hot HOT Texas days.

25. Heather on June 15, 2010 at 11:47 am

Yum! so I have a question pertaining to the ‘Perfect Party Cake’
    I make homemade strawberry jam…complete with chunks of delish strawberries…you think this is an ok substitute for the raspberry jam??? I’l like to make this for Father’s Day and would love to use my homemade jam. ooo…or even my apple pie jam I made that tastes just like apple pie minus the crust!

26. Shauna on June 15, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Thanks so much for doing this post. I love to see your favourites, and I’m definitely going to be trying a few things there, like those white chocolate macadamia nut cookies (I’ve always wanted a not-too-difficult recipe for those!), and the “signature salad.”

27. linda on June 15, 2010 at 8:02 pm

love the photo of you & your sister…just adorable!

thanks for these yummy summer recipes…the hidden berry cheese cake & the blueberry scones are calling my name!

28. Magic of Spice on June 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm

What a wonderful idea for a post…

29. Angela@spinachtiger on June 16, 2010 at 10:59 am

Wow. All good, beautiful.

30. Jen @ How To: Simplify on June 16, 2010 at 11:07 am

This is such a fantastic roundup of summer recipes!

31. Lisa @ The Cooking Bride on June 16, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I get excited about lightning bugs too! I’m expecting a baby boy in August. Just the other night I noticed the lightning bugs and my first thought was in a few years I will have an excuse to catch lightning bugs again!

32. Heather I. on June 16, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I am drooling all over my computer right now. All of those photos are so tempting! Great collages- I definitely need to bookmark this!

33. Fuji Mama on June 17, 2010 at 12:48 am

LOVE that picture of you! What a great summer lineup!!

34. Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } on June 17, 2010 at 2:01 am

Great post! The peach crumb bar is a must make on my list! Welcome summer – yeah!

35. ivoryhut on June 25, 2010 at 10:34 am

Excellent recipe lineup! They all look delicious. Yay for summer!