Cream Cheese-Stuffed, Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeños

Let’s start talking Super Bowl! I already got off to a bit of a start with a recap of my Super Bowl cookies, but I think it’s time to dig into some great appetizers, don’t ya think? While we all love our sweets, I think it goes without saying that savory rules the party tables when it comes to game day. Dips, easy finger appetizers, wings, chili, pizza, etc. It’s a great opportunity to whip up some of your favorite snacks! And these jalapeños definitely land at the top of my list. Not only do they taste incredible, but they couldn’t be easier to make, which is key when you’re cooking for a large crowd. So let’s get to ‘em!

The absolute best part about these (other than how utterly delicious and addicting they are) is that they are ridiculously easy to make and super simple to scale for a party of 2 to a party of 50. There are no exact measurements here, so just add more peppers, cream cheese and bacon if you think you’ll need more, or use fewer ingredients if you’re feeding a small crowd.

Evidence of how simple these are…

First things first, buy some nice, fresh jalapeño peppers:

Then, slice them in half:

Using a paring knife or a spoon, remove the seeds and the white membranes. If you like things spicy, leave a few seeds behind:

Then fill the inside of each half with the cream cheese. I think I may also try mixing in some shredded cheddar cheese into the cream cheese. That has to be good, right?!

Lastly, wrap bacon around each piece. Go with your gut here – if the pepper is large, you may want to wrap an entire piece of bacon around it. If it’s a smaller pepper, maybe a 1/3 or 1/2 piece of bacon will do. No rules :)  Then secure them with a toothpick (I was out).

Then, before you know it, voila! Gorgeous bacon, cream cheese and pepper goodness!

Do you have a favorite game day menu item?

One year ago: Quiche Lorraine Scones
Three years ago: Chocolate-White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeños

Yield: 40 appetizers

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 20 to 30 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:

20 whole, fresh jalapeños
2 8-oz blocks of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 to 2 pounds of bacon

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and set aside.

2. Cut the jalapeños in half, lengthwise. Remove the seeds and membranes. Stuff each jalapeño half with cream cheese. Wrap each jalapeño half with bacon. Secure with a toothpick.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. If after 20 minutes the bacon doesn't look brown enough, turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to finish. Just keep a close eye so they don't burn! Serve immediately or at room temperature.

(Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks)

63 Responses to “Cream Cheese-Stuffed, Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeños”

1. Apicius' Apprentice on January 27, 2011 at 12:45 am

Oh this is perfect! I’m going to a party where the hostess only eats gluten-free snack. I was trying to find something fun enough to bring, and I think I just found my ticket! Thank you for sharing :p

2. Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) on January 27, 2011 at 12:54 am

I love PW’s bacon wrapped jalepeno’s! Thanks for the reminder! :)

3. Christine on January 27, 2011 at 1:08 am

My friend usually makes these at her annual Christmas party and they are SOOO good. My husband and I once made some and ate so many of them before anyone arrived as they are just that good!

4. Blog is the New Black on January 27, 2011 at 7:16 am

Looks like a great app to serve at parties!

5. Katrina on January 27, 2011 at 7:23 am

I’m sure this recipe is a huge hit! I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t jump for these!

6. Lauren at KeepItSweet on January 27, 2011 at 7:31 am

I love football food (sweet and definitely savory). These look like a fun addition to the table!!

7. Hezzi-D on January 27, 2011 at 7:31 am

Those look amazing! We love poppers, but these look even better. I’m thinking Super Bowl snack:-)

8. Amanda on January 27, 2011 at 7:55 am

Yum! Did you see the Pioneer Woman’s Shrimpo de Gallo yesterday? Looks like a great (light) dip to throw into the Super Bowl mix!

9. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on January 27, 2011 at 8:31 am

My husband would love these!!

10. The Food Hound on January 27, 2011 at 8:32 am

Such a great SuperBowl snack!! I would need to use some surgical-grade latex gloves b/c I have a bad track record with trying to seed jalapenos on my own :) I have something similar I make with dried dates!

11. Caroline on January 27, 2011 at 8:36 am

Jalepeno poppers are one of my favorite bite-sized party foods, but I’m not a huge fan of the pre-packaged, fried ones. This would be great on my table for the super bowl! These look sooo good!

12. Cimarron on January 27, 2011 at 9:12 am

My hubs and I adore these and we make them several times a month. I always use thick pepper bacon and mix in ‘stuff’ with my cream cheese. Usually Lawry’s garlic salt, chopped green onions, shredded cheddar, chipotle, and lots of black pepper. My in-laws mix in a pkg of ranch seasoning. Excellent!!!

13. jen @ the baked life on January 27, 2011 at 9:45 am

yum.

I want these for breakfast.

14. Christina on January 27, 2011 at 10:21 am

I have made these several time before. However, I add shredded cheddar cheese to the cream cheese,mix it all together and then stuff the jalepenos!
    Also, if making a lot wear gloves to remove the seeds because they will burn your hands after awhile :)

15. Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit on January 27, 2011 at 10:33 am

Oh my goodness! It’s 830 in the morning…and there’s nothing I want more right now. What a brilliant recipe! I bet these are absolutely fantastic!

16. Jess on January 27, 2011 at 10:46 am

the new philly cooking cream cheese in different savory flavors would be great with this recipe…can’t wait to make them for SB Sunday!

17. 2Kids1Mom on January 27, 2011 at 10:52 am

This one is perfect! I’m making it for sure! Thanks :)

18. Delishhh on January 27, 2011 at 10:55 am

Awesome idea – love it! Simple and delicious and easy that is what we need during game day. Great post!

19. Tes on January 27, 2011 at 11:06 am

Wow this looks like a perfect bit. I love anything with bacon wrapped around it :)

20. Island Vittles on January 27, 2011 at 11:13 am

These are always popular around our house! And yes, cheddar mixed into the cream cheese sounds delicious! Have a fun game day…theresa

21. Emily on January 27, 2011 at 11:41 am

We have done something similar to this but use sausage instead of bacon. Stuff the jalapenos with the cream cheese and then top with uncooked jimmy dean or other sausage and bake. They were the hit of my parent’s anniversary party last year!

22. Mary at n00bcakes on January 27, 2011 at 11:54 am

Hold the phone – these look positively divine! Can’t wait to give these a whirl in a few weeks!

23. Dee Dee's Delights on January 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm

OMG these have everything I love!

24. Evan Thomas on January 27, 2011 at 12:09 pm

So simple and yet so enticing. These sound terrific! Definitely want to watch football with me.

25. Debbie on January 27, 2011 at 12:16 pm

These look delicious!! I love jalapeno poppers, but these have bacon! Doesn’t bacon make everything better :-)

26. irishjc820 on January 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Since you mentioned mixing cheddar with the cream cheese, I thought I’d share what I do. I make my go-to cheese ball recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tammys-Tempting-Cheese-Ball/Detail.aspx and stuff the jalapenos with that. It’s SO freaking delicious. And the cheese ball recipe makes a lot, so if you’re making these for a party, you can serve half of the cheese with crackers…two apps in one!

27. Amy K on January 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm

These look ah-mazing! Making a mental note to do a test run pre-Super Bowl. You know, just in case. My go-to recipe is Sausage Dip.

1 can rotel
    1 log Jimmy Dean sage sausage
    1 block cream cheese

Brown and drain the sausage, then mix in the other ingredients until cc is melted. Easily doubled. Service with chips and you have a winner.

28. NanaBread on January 27, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Oh, heaven help me. Here we go again. I first saw these on The Pioneer Woman’s website last fall. I made a small batch that night. Then I made a bigger batch the next night, and 3 other times that week. They’re more than addicting, they’re the meth of bacon-wrapped snacks. So horrifyingly addictive, and yet so gloriously delicious. Now I’m going to have to make them again. Will this madness ever end?!?!?

29. Cakewalker on January 27, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Brown Eyed Baker, you’ve kicked a field goal with these!

30. Penny Wolf on January 27, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Of course these are great (I put a pineapple tidbit in there also) but to answer your question POPCORN. Anyway you want to make it you just can never go wrong with it.

31. Shari on January 27, 2011 at 8:19 pm

We go to this great mexican resturaunt which serves stuffed jalapenos – my Mum always finds them too hot, but my sister and I love them. This is definately something I am looking forward to recreating!

Shari from http://www.goodfoodweek.blogspot.com

32. Vibey on January 27, 2011 at 9:42 pm

This time of year I get envious of the whole Superbowl thing. Where’s OUR celebration where we get to snarf delicious and zingy bites like these in front of the television?

Having a girls’ night in next week, but somehow I don’t think the DVD of Funny Girl will cut it. :-/

33. TheBaker on January 27, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Yummm! Love the idea of wrapping bacon around these! Be sure to wear gloves when handling the peppers. If you don’t, you’ll wish you had when your hands and cuticles on are fire later! Forgot the gloves one time; that’s all it took. Now I have a box of 500 gloves in the pantry!

34. Jenn | the kitchen dish on January 28, 2011 at 12:27 am

These look delicious! I’m definitely bringing them to the Super Bowl Party I am going to. I also plan to make stuffed tomatoes and Football Truffles! YUMMY!

35. eatgreek.net on January 28, 2011 at 6:56 am

this looks so easy and delicious!!!!
    I’m gonna try it!!!! (^_^)

36. Peggy on January 28, 2011 at 8:49 am

What a perfect snack! I don’t think I’d be able to share though!

37. Carrie on January 28, 2011 at 6:49 pm

These are so yummy! Our family makes them quite often and to us they are referred to as ‘Dead Rats’. Quite the appetizing name huh!?! :) I over look the horrible family name beacuse they are so delicious!

38. sweetsugarbelle on January 29, 2011 at 1:33 am

This is one of our all time faves! So glad u posted. I thought it was just a tx thing :-)

39. Jenny @ Savour the Senses on January 29, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Drooling over this! This would be a great snack for a Super Bowl party.

40. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on January 29, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Yum! These look absolutely incredible! Like jalapeño poppers, but so much better.

41. Vivian Cardinale on January 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Perfect party food -LOVE!!!

42. Courtney on January 31, 2011 at 9:38 am

These look so incredibly tasty! I’m not really into football (don’t hate me!), but I love all the food that comes along with it. :)

43. Pretty. Good. Food. on February 2, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Mmmmm, these look soooooooooo good! I’m so glad I have the Super Bowl as an excuse to make these ;)!!!!

44. jennnnnnn on February 4, 2011 at 11:12 am

Did you bake them on the cooling rack? It looks like you did, but I’ve never put my rack into the oven before. Thanks!

• Michelle on February 14th, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I did bake them on the cooling rack – I have used it before for breaded baked chicken and things like that.

45. Jillian Babbel on February 8, 2011 at 11:06 pm

These look sooo yummy! I’ve been looking at quite a few popper recipes and these just moved to the top of my list!

46. Kathe on October 22, 2011 at 6:00 pm

We make these and they are SOOOO delish! We mix sharp shredded cheddar into the cream cheese and instead of slicing the peppers lengthwise we cut the tops off, stuff them, wrap them in bacon being sure to pin the end of the bacon over the opening in the top with a toothpick and then we grill them on the outdoor grill. OMGosh, they are the bomb grilled.

47. Reed Robinson on November 6, 2011 at 9:12 am

I’m a novice in the kitchen, but did these for a group of 6 last night. They were easy and everyone loved them. I did them on the green egg and used straight cream cheese. Didn’t watch the time too closely; just pulled them off a couple minutes after the bacon started turning crispy.

48. laurenh on November 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm

tried this recipe and loved it, this the best recipe yet! what a hit!!

49. Anja on December 3, 2012 at 10:32 pm

These are the best with maple bacon! Love!

50. Jeff B on January 15, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I make these the same but add BBQ sauce on top when baking. Sometime I put a little bit of minced garlic in the cream cheese too. The BBQ sauce really makes a difference!

51. Evelyn @ My Turn for us on January 28, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Just dropping in to check out these awesome jalapenos!!! Just pinned to my Super Bowl Board!!

Now I am off to follow via Facebook!!

52. lekeesha p on February 17, 2013 at 8:55 pm

When i make these i like to season my cream cheese with garlic powder put as much as you want depends on how much you like garlic and i dont use the sheredded cheese only cream cheese it is very very good that way i have made plenty of folks fall in love with them..

53. Robert Chavez on February 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Try completly covering them in bacon and securing with a few toothpicks, then deep fry them at 375 for a couple of minutes. The peppers are a little crisp ( al dente), very tasty and fast.

54. Sarah A on March 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Does anyone know if these would work with turkey bacon? Would the baking time or temp need to be adjusted?

55. Cindee on June 23, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I make these quite often and have for years. My family loves them. They also work well grilled on the bbq. For a little less fat from the bacon, I adapted the recipe a bit. I cook the bacon and drain it on paper towels. Then crumble it. I soften the cream cheese and whip it with a hand mixer. I then add the crumbled bacon and fold it in. We like it spicy, so I add jalapenos seeds to the mixture. I then spoon the mixture into a zip-lock bag and cut the end piece off, large enough so the bacon pieces will fit through. Bake until the jalapenos are soft. The cream cheese mixture goes brown and a bit crusty, which adds a bit of texture. Delicious!

• Cindee on June 23rd, 2013 at 8:34 pm

One more thing, I use a melon baller to remove the seeds and membrane, works fantastic!

56. Katherine on July 27, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I used to make these a lot and they were always a hit.

57. Jan on December 26, 2013 at 11:42 am

sprinkle a little brown sugar on the cream cheese before wrapping the bacon. delicious!

58. Kim on January 19, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Love these but they trashed by oven!!!!! Doing on the grill from now on!! Have to clean oven tomorrow now…

59. Jennifer on January 30, 2014 at 2:08 pm

How far in advance can I prepare these?

• Michelle on January 30th, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Hi Jennifer, I think you could probably assemble them the morning the prepare to serve them, then place them on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake. They might need an extra couple of minutes in the oven.

60. Jimmy on June 17, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Love bacon wrapped poppers, my wife and I have been making them for years. The only difference is we add 4oz of either blue cheese or gorganzola. Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed.