Homemade Shamrock Shake

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!

I wanted to share one more quick, festive recipe with you that can be whipped up in 5 minutes if you’re looking for a last-minute St. Paddy’s Day recipe. The month of March has become synonymous with Shamrock Shakes at McDonald’s – minty, green and wonderfully thick, they definitely lure more than a few people through the drive-thru for a quick shamrock shake fix. As with most favorite store-bought treats, I love being able to recreate them at home with my own ingredients, and this shake is no exception. And since I was already on a bit of a roll with the malted vanilla milkshake, I figured I should keep truckin’ along and whip up one of these shakes.

The best part, of course, is how quickly you can whip up one of these babies. I used my favorite homemade vanilla ice cream with a 2:1 ratio to milk to keep the shake thick, and just enough mint extract for that clean minty flavor, yet not overpowering. You can adjust the amount of green food coloring to make it whatever shade of green you’d like. A swirl of whipped cream, some festive sprinkles, and you’re ready to grab a straw and slurp away!

Hope everyone has a fun, safe and festive day! Would love to hear what’s on your menu!

One year ago: Good Eats in NYC

Homemade Shamrock Shake

Yield: 2 shakes

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

3 cups of your favorite vanilla ice cream
1½ cups whole milk
½ teaspoon mint extract
Green food coloring (enough to get the shade of green you want)

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth and blended. Divide between two glasses, top with whipped cream and enjoy!

(Recipe adapted from The Family Kitchen)

34 Responses to “Homemade Shamrock Shake”

1. Stefania on March 17, 2011 at 2:40 am

Una bella idea con un delizioso colore ♥

2. Lisa (Dishes of Mrs. Fish) on March 17, 2011 at 5:54 am

How delightful! I worked at McDonald’s in college and was definitely guilty of enjoying many Shamrock shakes!

3. Penny Wolf on March 17, 2011 at 6:47 am

That looks so good!
    We may have St. Paddy’s day inspired food all week at our house! Our menu tonight is to be baked cod and oven fries with a horseradish coleslaw. Dessert is a Guinness gingerbread cake with a cider cream filling.

4. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on March 17, 2011 at 6:58 am

I’ve actually never had a Shamrock shake, but I can see why people love them!

5. Melissa on March 17, 2011 at 7:25 am

I was actually thinking of driving through McDonalds for one of these today . . . I think I might just pick up some ice cream & make one at home instead! Happy St. Patty’s Day! :D

6. Katrina on March 17, 2011 at 7:53 am

Aww I love this! A good shamrock shake sounds awesome to me. Mmmm.

7. Katy on March 17, 2011 at 8:49 am

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you, too! :) On my menu today — beef hand pies. I’d describe them as the fictional love child of beef stew and the Polish classic haluski. To die for!

Also, wanted to say thank you for that delicious peanut butter cup crunch brownie recipe. My coworkers and friends raved about them and a 9×13 pan of them barely lasted a day :) Thanks! And, go Pens!!

8. Robyn {Planet Byn} on March 17, 2011 at 9:22 am

happy st. patrick’s day michelle! i made mini irish cream cheesecakes for my co-workers today, and tonight i’m making shepherd’s pie for dinner! if i have time i might try some irish soda bread.

9. Erin A. on March 17, 2011 at 9:22 am

This looks great! I bet you could use Creme De Menthe in place of the extract as well! That might also allow to skip the food coloring.

I posted three green cocktails this morning on my blog. Irish Mojito, Grasshopper and Caramel Apple Martini. Yumm! :)

• Dianna F. on March 13th, 2014 at 1:46 pm

You can use creme de menthe…Excellent adult shake

10. Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen on March 17, 2011 at 10:26 am

I LOVE Shamrock Shakes! Unfortuantely, they’re hard to come by in NYC. I’ll have to give this a try instead! I also like Erin’s idea of adding Creme de Menthe!

11. April @ The 21st Century Housewife on March 17, 2011 at 10:47 am

Thank you for sharing this! I love Shamrock Shakes but McDonald’s don’t do them where I live in England, so this is a very welcome recipe, and I look forward to trying it! (It is also a whole lot more wholesome than the McDonald’s version too!)

12. Annalise on March 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

I was actually planning on making this tonight after dinner, only I was just going to totally wing in. Now I have your recipe as a guide, so thanks! Yum!

13. Chelsea @ Sprinkles of Parsley on March 17, 2011 at 11:28 am

I love shamrock shakes!! I can’t wait to try this homemade version! My husband’s diet is going to get thrown out the window after he sees me whip these up! hehe. Our poor husbands… :)

14. Melissa on March 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I am definitely going to make these tonight for the boyfriend and myself and on Saturday when the family comes over for dinner!!

15. Rachel @ The Avid Appetite on March 17, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Love the shamrock shake! Yours is so pretty. I just might be making these tonight (spiked perhaps?) for hubs and me!

16. Tamara on March 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I’m making this tonight!

17. Firefly on March 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Beautiful and yummy shake!

18. Foodfashionandflow on March 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I have always loved Shamrock shakes…..oh me oh my does this look delicious!

19. Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen on March 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I love me a shamrock shake, although I wonder if they are so good because you can only get them right now? I’ll have to make some at home throughout the year to test this theory!

20. Allison on March 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm

The shamrock shake is such a guilty pleasure. I have not had one in years. I am going to make this for dessert tonight. My kids will love it. Thanks!

21. Christina on March 17, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I love this! The cute little flour-leaf clover sprinkles are just perfect. What a great idea!

22. Peggy on March 17, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I’ve never had a Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s, and I don’t think I want to. I’d rather make this instead!

23. Vera on March 17, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I always get my Shammie Shake mixed, half chocolate and half shamrock…Do you think Chocolate ice cream would create the desired outcome?

• Michelle on March 17th, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Hmm I don’t see why not! Or maybe even mint chocolate chip?

24. Aanya @ A Toast to Taste on March 17, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Ok, mouth is watering. Gotta go make one of these now! Looks fabulous!

25. Happy When Not Hungry on March 17, 2011 at 8:07 pm

These shamrock shakes look amazing! I love that they’re so easy to make too!

26. Sandra on March 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Never had one before but your’s looks way better than Mickey D’s.

27. Lori @ Girl Meets Oven on March 17, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Love Shamrock shakes! This year I made my own variation of homemade mint ice cream instead. I used mint flavoring and green coloring like you did for this shake, and then added a bunch of crushed Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies at the end. Tasted just as good as a Shamrock Shake!

28. Sues on March 17, 2011 at 10:08 pm

This looks like so much fun! I, surprisingly, have never had a Shamrock Shake! But if I did, it would probably have to be a homemade one :)

29. Sarah @ The Pajama Chef on March 17, 2011 at 11:33 pm

i’ve never had a shamrock shake but i’d definitely try this one :)

30. Deborah Dowd on March 19, 2011 at 10:25 pm

This looks yummy, and I love the cute little shamrocks on top!!

31. Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) on March 22, 2011 at 10:20 pm

You’ve made this so pretty! Much more tempting than those at that fast food joint. :)

32. mary on March 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Too much milk. I tried it and only used 1 cup of milk and it was still too runny. I’d recommend 3/4 cup milk.