Friday Things

1. Last Friday my Chief Culinary Consultant and I decided to take a much-needed fun day. We spent the morning watching the Penguins run their own hockey practice (ughhh, NHL lockout!), grabbed lunch at Ditka’s (steakhouse burger!), then caught an afternoon matinee of Skyfall, the new James Bond movie. Ah-MAZING movie! Highly recommend! A few nights ago we went to see Argo, which was also a fantastic movie – my heart my racing the entire time! Next on my to-see list is Lincoln, then Jack Reacher, which was filmed in Pittsburgh. Movies tend to be feast or famine with me – there can be 6 to 8 months where nothing is released that looks remotely interesting to me, and then there’s more than a handful I want to see all at once. What have you seen lately?

2. Good news! Instagram has finally enabled web profiles. That means if you aren’t already following BEB on Instagram, now you can easily do so via the web. Follow, like and comment… all from your computer!

3. I’m not sure how much I’ve mentioned this before, but I am not a coffee drinker. When I say “not a coffee drinker,” I mean that I actually hate the taste of coffee. You have to pour so much cream and sugar into a cup before I’ll even go near it that it’s downright sad. I’ve always equated drinking coffee with being a grown-up, so my total disdain for the drink makes me feel like I’m not quite grown up yet. Save a place for me at the kid’s table next week; I’ll be happy to drink some hot chocolate after dinner!

4. I’m plotting my Christmas picture with Einstein. We rocked reindeer antlers last year, but this year we might need to add lights! ;-)

5. My grandma taught me how to crochet when I was pretty young, and it’s something that I’ve picked up on and off over the years. I haven’t made anything in quite some time, and was thinking that a homemade blanket would be a nice Christmas gift for my Chief Culinary Consultant’s nana. I’ve been poking around for some new and different patterns, but haven’t found anything  I love just yet; feel free to share links below if you have ‘em!

6. Yesterday I walked into Target with the intention of buying iced tea mix and a box of candy canes. I walked out with six bags. I don’t know what happened. I saw Christmas plates in the $1 bins by the door, then bags of Christmas-themed candy, and the rest is a blur. Target, I wish I knew how to quit you.

7. Amen. Hallelujah.

8. I am officially caught up on all episodes of Homeland! It took me less than three weeks, and now I’m totally bummed that I have to wait for a new episode. Such an awesome show!

On another TV note, I caught the first episode of “The Men Who Built America” last weekend. It’s a documentary series on the History Channel that chronicles the business empires of Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Carnegie, J.P. Morgan and Henry Ford, and how their innovations revolutionized the country from the end of the Civil War through the middle of the 20th century. I found it totally fascinating and can’t wait to watch the next one (something new to catch up on!). Definitely check it out if you’re looking for something new and different to watch!

9. I’ve been actively pinning things to my Healthy Living board over the past week or so… things like treadmill workouts and negative calorie foods. Great, right?! Wrong. The problem? I don’t own a treadmill, nor do I belong to a gym. I also don’t really care for most of the foods on that list. I’m really trying to motivate myself to work on a healthier diet and to exercise regularly… maybe Pinterest will lead me to the promised land ;-)

10. TGIF! I so love this print!

32 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Ezen on November 16, 2012 at 12:21 am

I loved Argo!! I haven’t watched Skyfall yet but I doubt it comes close to Argo’s awesomeness! Haha. I soooo feel you on the Target thing. It’s so hard to resist.. ugh!

2. Becca on November 16, 2012 at 1:16 am

I’m the same way with coffee. I’m 26 and can’t stand the stuff and I’m starting to feel left out in the world. I don’t like coffee flavored anything. But I’m starting to warm up to it. I’m feeling adventurous enough to try some super flavored and creamy coffee concoctions.

3. Kristen on November 16, 2012 at 2:35 am

For crocheting patterns have you checked out Ravelry? Love the pattern search on that site!

• Michelle on November 16th, 2012 at 10:51 am

I have not heard of that site, but I am going to check it out right now!

• Carolyn on November 16th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Ravelry is awesome! You will find about 8 million great crochet blanket patterns. :)

4. Angela on November 16, 2012 at 7:15 am

Dogs over diamond any day!!!! Thanks for all your great recipes. We are getting a Target here very soon – I just hope the Canadian version is as awesome as the ones in the USA

5. Tracey on November 16, 2012 at 7:45 am

We saw Argo this week too and really enjoyed it! Skyfall is next on my list, maybe later this weekend. Ditto to everything you said on #3 – even with ridiculous amounts of cream and sugar, I still won’t go near the stuff and I was starting to think I was the only one :) Love, love, love that someecard!

6. Rachel Jaggers on November 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

Michelle #7 is my life! My husband and I just re-located to Baltimore for his work and I’m treating it as a new start for me in terms of my job. I want to do something with baking/food/blogging. You’re an inspiration and I enjoy your blog so much! Happy Friday!

7. Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) on November 16, 2012 at 8:00 am

That holiday photo with the christmas lights is sooooo freaking cute. I HAVE to do that to my dog =) Happy weekend!

8. Lisa from the Burgh on November 16, 2012 at 8:05 am

The golden pup picture made me laugh. My sister-in-law has one and the dog will let her do anything she wants. The first Christmas, she wrapped Sophie in lights and took a picture for the family Christmas card (the kids didn’t make the cut that year!). For Halloween, they dressed her in a squirrel costume, which was fine until a black lab started chewing the costume right off of Sophie. Who needs kids? :-)

9. Ashley P on November 16, 2012 at 8:26 am

I feel like you and I are soul sisters for the following reasons:
    1. I also hate coffee and often feel left out because of it. I’ve become more of a tea drinker lately though, so that helps.
    2. I much prefer appetizers and desserts (especially desserts) over main courses.
    3. I refused to eat vegetables most of my life, and I now definitely prefer them in the cheesiest way possible.
    4. I love love LOVE my dog.

I think we would be great friends haha!

10. Laura Dembowski on November 16, 2012 at 8:47 am

I used to be a serious coffee drinker when I was like 12, but now I don’t touch the stuff. Love the pic of your dog! Target’s Christmas candy is super dangerous. I picked up my first batch this week with more to come.

11. Robby on November 16, 2012 at 9:01 am

Just another voice suggesting you check out Ravelry if you haven’t yet. Knit, crochet, weave? Something will tempt you to start a new project.

12. Amie on November 16, 2012 at 9:09 am

For crochet patterns, check out Ravelry! Free website with an amazing pattern library for knitters and crocheters.

13. Terri on November 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

I too have always associated coffee drinking with being grown up. Well I am old but guess I am not grown up as I still don’t drink coffee. I feel so uncool that I don’t hang out in coffee houses. But on the bright side by not hanging out in coffee houses spending way too much money on a cup of coffee I have more money to spend at Target!! And I totally feel the same about my résumé.
    Have a great weekend!

14. Megan on November 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

Definitely check out Ravelry! I would recommend the Tweed Lap Afghan by Vanna White. You have to buy the pattern book, but it is super easy if you are just getting back to crocheting. If you do use that pattern, make sure you use at least one dark and one light color to make the stripes stand out.

15. Kristen on November 16, 2012 at 9:41 am

Happy Friday!
    I won’t hold the coffee thing against you ;)

And the resume one? YES! Nailed it.

16. Jodi Pavlik on November 16, 2012 at 9:44 am

Can you save me a seat at the kids table?? I feel the same way about coffee as you!!

17. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on November 16, 2012 at 9:52 am

I LOVE the last print, it is so true! Also Einstein in Lights, too cute! I wish my dogs would sit long enough for me to dress them up for Christmas! My Boy Lab gets so excited when I dress him up that he pees. He loves wearing hates, shirts, whatever gets him attention! What a weirdo! My Girl Golden Retriever hates anything on her. It makes her go bonkers and she rips it right off!

Have a great weekend!

18. LB on November 16, 2012 at 10:09 am

I will give a thirds, (fourth?) recommendation for Ravelry, but also Natural Stitches in East Liberty (same plaza as Trader Joe’s) for a local yarn shop. They are super friendly and knowledgeable and can help you pick out yarn. They have couches and chairs to hang out and chat and say “hey, am I doing this right?” which is so helpful when you are re-learning.

• Michelle on November 16th, 2012 at 10:56 am

I didn’t know about Natural Stitches, I will have to check out, it sounds like a fun shop! Thank you for the recommendation!

19. Jendeis on November 16, 2012 at 10:52 am

We loved Skyfall, and I’m dying to see Argo next.
    I watched The Men Who Built America last weekend too. While I thought the show is well done, the images from the Jonestown flood and the attempted assassination on Henry Frick scared the beejesus out of me. I had to stay up and watch some late-night Food Network to calm myself down for sleep. :)

20. Kristine on November 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I love a good documentary and will have to check out that series of shows on the History Channel. My current addiction is Downton Abbey on PBS. I suppose you’ve seen it, but if not, I think you would enjoy it. I was able to get the first two seasons from the library. Season 3 starts January 6 – I am looking forward to it! Oh and by the way, I really enjoy your blog! Right now I am off to Target – honest. Last but not least, I have never been able to drink coffee, even when I worked the night shift. But why does it smell so good?!

• Michelle on November 17th, 2012 at 11:53 am

I have not seen Downton Abbey, but have seen it mentioned in many places. I’ll have to check it out!

21. Aly on November 16, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Do you dislike coffee in recipes, too, like when people add it with chocolate? I don’t like coffee straight or as a drink that much, but I love it in food.

• Michelle on November 17th, 2012 at 11:53 am

I actually like coffee in recipes, strangely enough. I just don’t like to drink it :)

22. buttercream bakehouse on November 16, 2012 at 5:18 pm

love the dogs

23. Katie @ Blonde Ambition on November 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm

If I had one, I would most definitely dress up my dog for the holidays!!
    I am not a coffee drinker either, but my issue isn’t the taste – it just makes me super jittery and then I crash and get a massive stomach ache. Womp womp. Tea for me!

24. Anita at Hungry Couple on November 17, 2012 at 8:48 am

Amen to the doggie print. Even though there’s no hope of dressing her up because, in a nanosecond, she will hurl herself to the floor and roll until she’s removed the offending garment, she’s still my little doll. I love my doggie. :)

25. Georgie T on November 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Besides Ravelry (love), check out Lionbrand.com for free patterns.

26. Becky @ Olives n Wine on November 18, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I love the Christmas photos of the dogs! I attempted something similar tonight and failed miserably! If you figure it out, I’d love to learn your tricks. My dog was not having it :)

27. Trina on November 19, 2012 at 9:12 am

I always think granny squares are the way to go for crocheted afghans. You crochet them one at a time (therefore they are very portable for commuting on the subway and/or bus) and then comes the tedious part of stitching them all together.

Actually, my favorite crocheted afghan pattern is the Harlequin Afghan in Jan Eaton’s Crochet Basics. It’s made up of hexagons, and on the last row of the hexagon you stitch them together (avoiding the tedious end-of-project sewing together). It’s also portable, since you can complete most of a hexagon (except for the final round) while commuting.