Friday Things

Duke at 8, 9 and 10 weeks old

1. Duke is growing! He will be 11 weeks old on Sunday, and is definitely developing his own little personality (as well as some super long legs). He’s starting to look more and more like a “grown-up”. Last week a couple of you suggested some side by side photos (awesome idea!) so you could see his progress, so I made a little collage. I’ve been taking a photo of Duke every Monday, so above are pictures of him at eight, nine and ten weeks. So much change already!

2. Duke and Einstein have been getting along well and playing quite a bit. Sometimes Duke takes his puppy raucousness too far and takes one bite too many out of Einstein’s ear, face, mouth, tail (you name it), and Einstein has to put him in his place. We dubbed this photo “The Honeymoon Is Over”:

"They Honeymoon's Over"

3. Thanks to everyone who weighed in last week on the “Chief Culinary Consultant vs husband” debate. Your responses have been tallied and the result was… an overwhelming 70% of you would like me to keep referring to my husband as my Chief Culinary Consultant. And so it shall be :)

4. I know many of you have been asking for some details about our wedding… a post is coming soon, I promise!

5. I went to Target yesterday and came home with Apple Berry Spice and Apple & Pumpkin Picking Yankee candles, as well as an Apple Berry Spice reed diffuser for the bathroom. I’m going all-in on fall. I’ve officially bid adieu to summer.

6. I don’t feel like I ate nearly enough soft serve ice cream cones this summer. Maybe I can remedy that during fall since most of the soft serve places around here stay open into November. We’ll call it Operation Sprinkles.

7. Fall shows are finally on their way back! We caught the season premiere of Boardwalk Empire a couple of nights ago, and I’m counting the days until the Homeland premiere. What shows are you watching this fall?

8. I went to Costco last week and it was stacked with Christmas decorations. Did I miss Halloween? That being said, I can’t wait to deck the halls in our new house this year!

9. We moved into our new house at the end of May. It’s only 3.5 miles (less than 10 minutes) from a Chick-fil-A, and I have yet to get food from there. I just realized yesterday how absolutely ridiculous that is, and I vowed to remedy it today. Waffle fries, here I come!

10. TGIF! Here’s to learning something new this weekend!

Mini Me!

45 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Nicole @ Mediterranean Baby on September 13, 2013 at 12:25 am

Have a great weekend!! Enjoy the waffle fries!

2. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on September 13, 2013 at 12:39 am

Duke looks all grown up now – he looks so wise! :)
    Target always does that to me, the store in general is a addiction. I go for 2 things and I walk out with 16 items. it happens every time!

3. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen on September 13, 2013 at 12:43 am

Awww…love all the pics of Duke and Einstein! So stinkin’ cute. But, he’s growing up so fast and losing his chubby puppy looks. Still, just precious! Thanks for sharing, girl. xo

4. Becca @ Crumbs on September 13, 2013 at 3:12 am

Aw he’s growing so fast!! Really starting to grow up and into his paws, how cute!

5. Averie @ Averie Cooks on September 13, 2013 at 3:28 am

Your trip to Target sounds like a good one. I walk into Target for deodorant and 1 pair of jeans for my daughter and come out with $223 worth of stuff. Happened to me this week. Whoops :)

Duke is so adorable and growing like a weed.

And Chief C.C. – interesting that 70% of ppl wanted it to stay! I like that you kept stats on it!

6. Pieliekamais on September 13, 2013 at 4:02 am

Awww, that last picture!

7. barbara on September 13, 2013 at 6:07 am

LOVE THE PICTURES, THEY ARE SO CUTE

8. Jean on September 13, 2013 at 6:22 am

Always love seeing the new photos of Einstein and Duke. Duke is really growing. Happy Fall y’all !

9. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on September 13, 2013 at 7:10 am

Ohhhhhh Einstein and Duke are just so dam cute! I am so happy you got Einstein a friend!!!

10. Jamie @lifelovelemons on September 13, 2013 at 7:23 am

Oh my gosh, I can’t even handle that last picture. So freaking cute.

11. Missy on September 13, 2013 at 7:52 am

I never miss Friday’s pictures…giggles..The honeymoon is over…too cute!

12. Pru on September 13, 2013 at 8:23 am

I know I keep saying this, but you’re absolutely adorable. I really look forward to your Friday Things sitting in my inbox when I get to work. I sit here and drink a cup of tea, and enjoy your blog. Thank you for this…especially on this rainy and chilly Friday the 13th!!

You have a lovely weekend, and enjoy those puppies. They’re so cute. I have a 1 year old black lab named Sophie, and I know that love that you have for Einstein and Duke…she’s the love of my life. I’d love to get a puppy for her, but my husband keeps saying that she would be so unhappy. I need to show him your blog!!

• Michelle on September 13th, 2013 at 11:14 am

I definitely say go for a second dog! I would never have considered it except that I lived with my mom for a few years with Einstein and she had a dog… they became the best of friends. You could really see how they enjoyed each other. Dogs are pack animals, so I tend to think they do better in pairs.

13. Debbie on September 13, 2013 at 8:32 am

Those pictures of your beautiful dogs! It really makes me miss my golden “Jake”. Funny, my son and I are going to Chick-fil-a this morning. I would never want to move too far from one!

14. nancy K on September 13, 2013 at 8:54 am

I love, love love the “growing puppy” collage. I hope you continue to post pictures of Duke as he grows. It is amazing how quickly pups change. Duke has the best face…those soulful eyes and his little downturned mouth. He is precious.
    And good for Einstein…sometimes those little upstarts need a reminder as to who is is boss!

15. martha on September 13, 2013 at 9:04 am

how fortunate you are to have these two beautiful dogs in your life. young and old together, what joy they will give you !

16. Stephanie B. on September 13, 2013 at 10:25 am

The cuteness in those pictures is killing me, and I am not really even big on cute animal pictures! Why won’t my husband let me get a cute little new puppy for the other 2 to fight with?! :)

17. Laura on September 13, 2013 at 10:35 am

love your pictures of your dogs, brings back memories of ours. Lucky, and Indiana(kids were huge Indiana Jones fans at the time). They were best buds, not immediately, but after maybe a few days, Lucky was taking Indiana under his wing and making him mind, but also taking care of him. love your blog, congratulations on your marriage, new home and new life together. best of luck and enjoy.
    since I’ve been following your blog I think I’ve gained 10 pounds. love it, not the weight but the recipes. making snickers cake this weekend for my daughters 22nd birthday. thanks have a great weekend.

18. Becca from ItsYummi.com on September 13, 2013 at 11:04 am

Duke lost his baby face already?! How did THAT happen? I know that Einstein was probably just letting Duke know who the Alpha dog is, but MAN, that photo of Einstein growling scares the bejeezus out of me!

19. Betsy on September 13, 2013 at 11:07 am

Makes me want to get my golden a playmate. I’m sure he would have different thoughts of that, however! CUTE PUPPY!!! I currently have my third golden and there will be more…….love them to pieces!

20. Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion on September 13, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I LOVE PUPPIES… mine is 11monthold…. I miss the fluffy fur, but not the training!
    SO cute

21. Rebecca on September 13, 2013 at 2:54 pm

As a life-long Southerner and, therefore, lover of Chik-Fil-A, I have to say welcome to the wonderful world of real chicken, waffle fries, awesome fruit cups, and the BEST banana pudding milkshakes on earth! Be sure to go for breakfast one day and get the chicken minis — their chicken nuggets on small yeast rolls….heaven!

22. Janice on September 13, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Your last pic of the “guys” is soooooo gosh darn adorable!!! Just love it!!

23. Adrienne J on September 13, 2013 at 3:06 pm

My Friday is not complete until I see a picture of the dog…now doggies! I am waiting for Scandal to start!!!! Gladiators Unite!!!

24. Michelle Pannullo on September 13, 2013 at 3:11 pm

HAHA! Love the honeymoon is over….and your recipe for zucchini banana bread…and that CCC wins!

25. Steph in Lex on September 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I LOVE “The Honeymoon Is Over”! Hilarious!
    Personally, I think Chik-Fil-A is way overrated. We have Raising Cane’s and Zaxby’s, which are waaaaay better. I guess Chik-Fil-A can hold you over until those places keep on moving Northeast! (And I know you’ll be pleased to hear that Raising Cane’s mascot is a Golden!)

26. Beth on September 13, 2013 at 6:37 pm

It’s obvious Einstein is well trained. How are you keeping Duke so “perfectly poised” as well, lucky shots ? Do you take Duke to class or are you doing it on your own?

• Michelle on September 13th, 2013 at 9:09 pm

The pictures outside are just lucky; he tends to want to run towards the camera as soon as I’m ready to take a picture ;-) But, we have taught him to sit (I think it worked quickly because he followed Einstein’s lead). No puppy classes for him yet.

27. Kathie on September 13, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Duke is so cute and cuddly…but I also love Einstein’s letting him know who is alpha dog! The last picture of them sitting is wonderful! It looks like Duke is copying Einstein; or beautifully trained or a lucky shot. Makes me miss mine.

28. Becky on September 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Shows this fall: Once Upon A Time, Survivor (always) and Downton Abbey (not till January. Sad).

29. Natalie S. on September 13, 2013 at 9:40 pm

That last picture just made my heart melt! We have two Labs and they are best buds. I’m sure Einstein and Duke will be the same way :)

30. Bake Play Smile on September 14, 2013 at 5:00 am

I am loving your photos of Duke and Einstein! As a golden retriever lover (and owner), I am a little biased but they are just the cutest ever! Thanks :-)

31. Effie on September 14, 2013 at 5:36 am

You should take a photo everyday and make a short video/gif at the end. It would be fun ^^

32. Beth B on September 14, 2013 at 8:38 am

Yea for waffle fries! And I forgot to weigh in on last weeks baked bacon question. It turns out amazing. It stays meatier but doesn’t get crispy. So we still do it both ways depending on the day.

33. Rowena on September 14, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Your blog is one of my fave cooking blogs! I enjoyed reading this post and laughed as I was reading about your new home as I finished off my Chick-fil-A waffle fries. :) Congrats and many blessings on everything in your life!

34. Marcia on September 14, 2013 at 3:58 pm

You take the best doggie pics!

35. Cindy Rosborough on September 14, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Too, too cute! Especially the one where they are sitting at attention.

36. Patti Z on September 15, 2013 at 3:36 pm

How did you get that last picture? So cute!!

• Michelle on September 16th, 2013 at 2:14 pm

My husband was standing to the left of me with little training treats… they both stood at attention and waited patiently :)

37. Anita at Hungry Couple on September 16, 2013 at 8:10 am

Awe…both your “boys” are adorable! When my Hadley (now 4 years old) was a puppy, I also took her photo every week and wrote a separate blog documenting the raising of my first puppy. It was a great experience and I still love to go back and see all the photos. I’ve always thought that the older dog actually helps raise the puppy by training it on proper behavior and it sounds like Einstein is doing exactly that when he puts Duke in his place. Someday Hadley will get a little “sister” and I hope she’ll help train her to be as good as she is. Oh, and don’t get me started on the Christmas decorations at Costco or anywhere else. One holiday at a time, people! :)

38. Lucy on September 16, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I’ve been so busy this week I am just now getting to my Friday things!!! I too have gone into Target on numerous occasions and have walked out spending much more than I anticipated but really love all the great deals! If my daughter goes with me I am toast, I’ll easily spend over $100! I love burning candles all year long and love the lingering fragrance they welcome me with the next time I come home so I’ll have to go sniff these out next time I go, I just don’t like that many of the autumn candles smell so artifically sweet and not like autumn at all. So what happned to the boot purchase, did you buy them? Enjoy your week! :)

• Michelle on September 16th, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Hi Lucy, I didn’t yet, but I do plan to! I actually still have a Nordstrom gift card my mom got me for Christmas for boots last year that I never used! It will be put to good use this month :)

39. Mia on September 16, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I missed the Chief Culinary Consultant v. Husband debate, but I would have gone with the majority. I like the quirkiness of it. Good choice!

I’m super excited for Scandal to come back, and also Revenge and some random sitcoms. I’m so sad that Whitney was cancelled :(

40. Laura Dembowski on September 16, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I’m so looking forward to fall TV. Bring on Homeland and Grey’s Anatomy along with the other 20 or 30 shows I’m sure I’ll watch. I picked up my Christmas cards at Costco this weekend.

41. Lauren on October 19, 2013 at 12:27 am

I love that last picture of Einstein and Duke – very The Lion King. “Everything the light touches is our kingdom”….