Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark by @browneyedbaker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

I am 100% guilty of going way, way overboard with the holiday baking. My list of things to make is always ridiculously long, and I’m always thinking of just one more thing that I could make. While my focus is overwhelmingly on cookies, chocolate bark is second in line as my next-favorite holiday sweet to make. I have made peppermint bark an annual tradition for nearly 10 years now, and a few years ago added a cranberry-pistachio white chocolate bark to the rotation. Since Christmas is notoriously a little light on the chocolate/peanut butter combinations (we have buckeyes, peanut butter blossoms and peanut butter cup cookies in our standard rotation), I thought I would add another to the mix. There’s always room for a little more chocolate and peanut butter, right?!

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark by @browneyedbaker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

I love making bark, in part, because of how incredibly quick and easy it is to throw together. Simply melt down some good-quality chocolate, spread on some parchment paper, then layer on more chocolate, sprinkle on some goodies, and pop it in the fridge to set up. I’ve kept peppermint bark in the refrigerator for up to three weeks, and it stays just fine. Just beware – you’ll find yourself sneaking into the fridge for just another little bite. “Oh look – no one will eat these little pieces, they’re virtually crumbs, I’ll just eat them now.” It’s a slippery slope, but I’m not sorry for overindulging at the holidays!

Like all other bark, this chocolate/peanut butter version is just as easy and, thanks to the peanut butter, it tastes just like a peanut butter cup. If you’re as big of a peanut butter fan as I am, you should just go ahead and make two pans – one for yourself, and one for everyone else!

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark by @browneyedbaker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

One year ago: Snowball Cookies
Two years ago: Eggnog Fudge
Three years ago: Homemade Peanut Brittle
Four years ago: Date Nut Spice Bread
Six years ago: Roasted Red Potatoes

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark

Yield: 1½ pound of chocolate bark

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

A layer of semisweet chocolate topped with a swirl of melted peanut butter and milk chocolate.

Ingredients:

16 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
¼ cup creamy peanut butter

Directions:

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

2. In a medium heat-proof bowl set above a small saucepan of barely simmering water, melt the semisweet chocolate, stirring occasionally, until completely smooth. Pour the chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet and use an offset spatula to spread the chocolate into a 9x13-inch rectangle. Set aside.

3. In a small heat-proof bowl set above a small saucepan of barely simmering water, melt together the milk chocolate and peanut butter, stirring occasionally, until completely smooth. Dollop the peanut butter mixture over the surface of the semisweet chocolate, then use a toothpick to swirl it together. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Slice or break into pieces and serve. The bark can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

(Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart Living)

38 Responses to “Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark”

1. Patty K on December 12, 2013 at 12:17 am

I make your peppermint bark every year now, it is a hit with my family and co workers. I am eager to try this recipe. Do you use a specific brand of peanut butter?

• Michelle on December 12th, 2013 at 8:12 am

Hi Patty, I use Skippy creamy peanut butter.

• Whitney Davis on December 12th, 2013 at 8:43 pm

My family LOVE that recipe I made it last year and for Thanksgiving Dinner and they said that it was AMAZING and that I should make it more often. My mom said that she was going to try that recipe for Christmas Dinner and we have it when we have Family Night with my grandma and grandpa.

2. Averie @ Averie Cooks on December 12, 2013 at 12:47 am

PB & chocolate…my two fave food groups AND an easy recipe. Love it! Pinned

3. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on December 12, 2013 at 1:46 am

I love anything chocolate and PB – a perfect bark!

4. Cassie on December 12, 2013 at 3:23 am

This looks great! Would it survive in the post for a week?

• Michelle on December 12th, 2013 at 8:13 am

Hi Cassie, At this time of year, if you’re sending it somewhere cold, I think it would. The top layer of milk chocolate and peanut butter gets a little soft at room temperature, which is why I store it in the fridge, but I think as long as it’s not terribly hot out, it should be okay to be shipped.

5. Kristi on December 12, 2013 at 4:27 am

You cannot go wrong with a little peanut butter and chocolate.

6. Kerry @ Kerry Cooks on December 12, 2013 at 5:31 am

Why have I never thought of this before – amazing!!

7. Tammy on December 12, 2013 at 6:51 am

Can’t wait to make this!!!

8. Mindy on December 12, 2013 at 7:18 am

Can’t wait to try this recipe.

9. Anna on December 12, 2013 at 8:08 am

can i use crunchy peanut butter?

• Michelle on December 12th, 2013 at 8:15 am

Hi Anna, You can if you’d like!

• anna on December 12th, 2013 at 8:20 am

thanks!!! i’ll try then!!!

10. Erin | The Law Student's Wife on December 12, 2013 at 8:52 am

Bark is for lovers! Chocolate+PB is pretty much my food group numero uno, so I love everything about this recipe. Oh the holidays are the best. Yay for baking binges!

11. Marcia on December 12, 2013 at 9:04 am

Yummy, I think I’ll try a batch using Nutella as I don’t have that flavor in any of my Christmas treats.

12. Rachel Parker on December 12, 2013 at 9:40 am

Um, yes, this is perfect for taking to my coworkers! I can’t wait to make bark for the first time. Is it weird to call it pretty? Because it totally is!

13. Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes on December 12, 2013 at 10:17 am

I don’t usually buy creamy peanut butter, but I had to get some for Peanut Butter Ice Cream last week so I think it’s just asking to be made into peanut butter bark! Thank you for sharing!

14. Moira @ Hearth and Homefront on December 12, 2013 at 10:43 am

I’ve never tried making bark before, but this looks perfect for a cookie/treat exchange I’m going to next week! Can’t wait to try it :)

15. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet on December 12, 2013 at 10:47 am

Your peppermint bark it part of our annual baking day and we always do way to much baking but it is so fun! This looks delicious!

16. Hari Chandana on December 12, 2013 at 10:57 am

Sounds really good.. thanks for sharing :)

17. Jaclyn on December 12, 2013 at 10:58 am

This bark looks beautiful and it sounds amazing!!

18. Susan on December 12, 2013 at 11:05 am

I love your bark recipes! What are your favorite brands of chocolate to use for bark? Thanks!

• Michelle on December 12th, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Hi Susan, I use either Valrhona, Callebaut, or Ghiradelli (and sometimes Lindt for white chocolate).

19. Graham @ Glazed & Confused on December 12, 2013 at 2:11 pm

WHY?! Why are you doing this to me?!?!?

I swear, chocolate and peanut butter is my absolute weakness. I’ve been looking for a fun bark recipe! I’ll have to try this one out!

20. Rebecca @ Dorm Room Baker on December 12, 2013 at 3:04 pm

This looks delicious! It’s nice to see a simpler recipe after being bombarded with all the sugary holiday goodness that’s been going around recently.

21. Cate @ Chez CateyLou on December 12, 2013 at 4:12 pm

There is ALWAYS room for PB and chocolate! This looks delicious, and the swirls are so pretty!

22. Melissa on December 12, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Mmm! Sounds delish! I will try these sprinkled with chopped pieces of Reese’s peanut butter cups on top. :)

23. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on December 12, 2013 at 7:19 pm

This is dangerous! I could probably eat the whole thing!!!! Awesome recipe!!

24. Sokehah Cheah on December 12, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I’m enjoying your clicks and amazed at these choco barks. Must certainly spend some time to look thru your blog.

25. Tieghan on December 12, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Nothing is much better than this!

26. Melanie on December 13, 2013 at 8:54 am

So funny that you posted this–I just made a pb chocolate bark myself, and with the same technique. I actually tempered the dark though because I was using Trader Joe’s chocolate and strangely it tempers like a dream. Not sure where you are in PGH but the East Liberty store has a ton of the “Pound Plus” bars, and they’re less than $5/pound (it’s still Belgian though).
    I was a little too adventurous and added freeze-dried banana (I saw it with berries on Love & Olive Oil and I love banana with peanut butter), and that bit was a little weird…I’ll stick to the classic pb-chocolate from now on!

27. Emily @ Life on Food on December 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm

The more the merrier is my motto. This looks fantastic!

28. joan on December 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm

well all i got was a layer of dark chocolate, then globs of peanut butter mixed with milk chocolate. i followed the recipe exactly to the dot. mine looked nothing like your photo. the peanut butter globs with thick and did not spread at all. hope everyone had better luck

29. Cheryl on December 16, 2013 at 10:28 am

I made it and it tastes great! The only problem though, is that it doesn’t quite crack. It was a bit soft though it’s been in the fridge for 2-3 hours, so I had to cut it.

Do I actually need to temper the chocolate properly?

• Michelle on December 16th, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Hi Cheryl, Mine was soft as well at room temperature, but I think it’s just due to the peanut butter in the top layer. I have kept mine in the fridge, and it’s just fine.

30. Nikki @Seeded at the Table on December 16, 2013 at 10:35 am

Oh wow! Another great way to bring chocolate and peanut butter together!

31. Donna on December 17, 2013 at 8:04 am

I made this peanut butter and chocolate swirl candy the other day and it was just sinful! Amazing how many little bits of broken up goodness never made it into the treat bags for distribution! Loved how simple the recipe was and the end product looked beautiful. I used a fork to swirl the peanut butter topping so the candy looked very “bark like”! Already passed this recipe on to a couple co-workers who enjoyed the candy too! Thanks for sharing!