Peanut Butter Blossoms
When I think of Christmas cookies, peanut butter blossoms is always the very first thing to come to mind. They were a staple in my house each and every Christmas, and were one of the first cookies that my mom would churn out in early December. I loved helping her in the kitchen, and pressing the Hershey’s kisses into the middle of the soft peanut butter cookies was by far my favorite Christmas baking task!
While I’m sure that just about everyone has a recipe for these iconic Christmas cookies, I just had to give the photos a facelift and share them again… they’re just too good not to give them the respect they deserve!
I got this recipe straight from my mom’s recipe box, but I think it’s the same exact recipe for peanut butter blossoms that you’ll find on the back of a bag of Hershey’s kisses. I mean, is there any other version?! I don’t do any tinkering or tweaking; the classics are the classics for a reason!
I hope my kids love these cookies as much as I do, and that they’ll be excited to leave a few on a plate for Santa when the time comes. I’m sure that Santa would greatly appreciate them! :)
Peanut Butter Blossoms
Peanut butter cookies topped with a Hershey’s kiss – the most iconic of Christmas cookies!
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar, for rolling
- 48 Hershey’s kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the peanut butter and shortening on medium speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar, and beat until fluffy. Add the egg, milk and vanilla extract, and beat well. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually beat the flour into peanut butter mixture until just combined.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in granulated sugar to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie (the cookie will crack around edges). Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.