The Best of Brown Eyed Baker in 2013: 20 of My Favorite Recipes

The Best of Brown Eyed Baker in 2013: 20 of My Favorite Recipes

Yesterday, I shared my annual roundup of the 10 most popular recipes on Brown Eyed Baker that were made during 2013. While many of those on that list were my favorites, there were also a ton of recipes that I fell in love with this year that didn’t make the cut. I want to share my personal favorites with you that weren’t on the previous list, so I put together this follow-up roundup, which features 20 of my favorites from 2013 – 10 sweet and 10 savory. It was agonizing to pare this list down; there are so many more recipes I want to include! (Please note the three honorable mentions at the end, as well!) These are the recipes that I made over and over, tried to hide from others, and cried when they were gone. Enjoy browsing the list, and feel free to share any recipe requests for 2014 in the comments below!

(The recipes are listed in chronological order, January through December.)

Savory Recipes

Sausage Cornbread Stuffing

Sweet Recipes

1. Buckeye Brownies

Buckeye Brownies

2. Chocolate Sugar Cookies

Chocolate Sugar Cookies

3. Six-Layer Chocolate Cake with Toasted Marshmallow Filling & Malted Chocolate Frosting

4. Blueberry Buckle

Cinnamon Babka

9. Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes

Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes

10. Pumpkin-Gingerbread Trifle

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

Honorable Mentions:

It was incredibly hard to narrow down these lists, so here are a few more runner-up recipes from the short list!

Strawberry Pimm’s Cup Cocktail

Strawberry Pimm’s Cup Cocktail

Thin Crust Pizza

Thin Crust Pizza

Frozen Brownie Sundae

Frozen Brownie Sundae

Do you have any recipe requests for Brown Eyed Baker in 2014? Share them below!

40 Responses to “The Best of Brown Eyed Baker in 2013: 20 of My Favorite Recipes”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks on December 31, 2013 at 1:41 am

Yesterday when I was trying to think back to some of your real showstoppers, I was drawing a blank but one that I was trying to remember was the Six-Layer Chocolate Cake with Toasted Marshmallow Filling & Malted Chocolate Frosting! Glad it made your personal faves list. And the bb buckle, the babkas, the coconut choc ice cream, I am so glad they’re all on this list! I can’t wait to see what you make in 2014!

2. Jenna on December 31, 2013 at 4:39 am

how about some oriental dishes :)
    and of course all the recipes you post are ones to drool over!

3. Marcia on December 31, 2013 at 7:11 am

Just made your sausage gravy this past weekend. Love it! I’ve made several of your recipes over the year and share them with both my son and daughter. They love your recipes too.

4. Lori on December 31, 2013 at 8:33 am

I can certainly vouch for the Guinness beef stew! Best beef stew ever! Gonna make a babka real soon!

5. Liz Healy on December 31, 2013 at 8:52 am

I have to agree about the Buckeye Brownies AND the gingerbread trifle. They are both keepers. Although, if I made the trifle again I think I would double the amount of pumpkin pudding!

6. Sara on December 31, 2013 at 8:58 am

i LOVE the Blueberry Buckle Recipe. I made it for our Jewish New Year and everyone went crazy over it. I’ve shared it with so many relatives and friends and they all love it too! Thanks so much for all of your amazing recipes!

7. McKenzie on December 31, 2013 at 9:01 am

I’m glad you posted the chicken pesto salad; I’ve been meaning to make it! I’ve made a ton of BEB dishes the past few months that did not make the cut! Looking forward to a food filled 2014!

8. Marie @ Little Kitchie on December 31, 2013 at 9:21 am

What a delicious list!! Somehow I think I missed that cajun shrimp mac and cheese, but now I am dying to make it! Happy 2014!

9. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on December 31, 2013 at 9:27 am

Oh man, everything looks just amazing! I love your blog and I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us in 2014! Happy New Years!!

10. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} on December 31, 2013 at 9:33 am

I’m having so much fun reading all these best-of lists around the blogging world. So much delicious inspiration! Happy 2014. :)

11. Joso on December 31, 2013 at 10:43 am

Would love to see you do something with chocolate-cream cheese frosting, if you have not already!

12. Emily on December 31, 2013 at 11:05 am

I would love to see Flancita — an Italian cookie one of my mother’s friends used to make, that I don’t have a recipe for — you’ve done such a wonderful job with so many of the recipes that I remember from my childhood.

13. Kira - HealthAble Old Soul on December 31, 2013 at 11:10 am

I love the variety you have created! It makes it easier to find your cravings!

14. Kira - HealthAble Old Soul on December 31, 2013 at 11:11 am

Looking good! The Blueberry Buckle was a hit in my house!

15. Rena on December 31, 2013 at 11:39 am

Love everything you post! Maybe some more healthy supper ideas on the savory side and some cake tutorials on the sweet side? Happy new year!!

16. Yvette on December 31, 2013 at 12:10 pm

The Frozen Brownie Sundae was a winner at our home. My boys call it “brownie from the gods”. Happy New Year from the Bahamas!

17. Mandy on December 31, 2013 at 12:27 pm

The pumpkin spice cupcakes, snickers cake and buckeye brownies were my favorites from your site this year. Also an honorable mention to the mushroom fontina pasta. Hope you have a happy new year!

18. Caiti on December 31, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Michelle, thanks so much for all your posts! This blog was one of my favorite discoveries this year. I love looking at all your recipes and deciding which ones to bookmark (i.e. ALL OF THEM). Keep the baked goods coming! I hope you and your family have a wonderful year!

19. David @ From Ballparks to BBQ on December 31, 2013 at 12:55 pm

The Blueberry Buckle looks incredible!

20. Kathy Winters on December 31, 2013 at 1:26 pm

When I was in Metarie, Louisiana there was a place by the name of Foodies it was absolutely wonderful they had an blue cheese and walnut artisan type bread. I would love it if there was a recipe out in Internet land.

21. Laura Dembowski on December 31, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Blueberry buckle is one of my favorite treats of all time. Not surprised it made your list. I really want to try making that towering chocolate layer cake with carob too.

22. Lynne on December 31, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Great list. I really want to try the apple dumplings, I kept wanting to make them, but always had other things to bake first. I know that they would be great.
    As far as 2014, I recently stumbled on your “My 100″ list, and I was thinking that I couldn’t wait to see what you did with sorbet (I love sorbet, especially mango), short ribs, and egg rolls (I recently made these for the first time myself – a Tex Mex version, and they were awesome!). I also will be interested to see your chicken Parmesan.
    BTW, you have a few items to update on your list! Good job!

23. Sharon on December 31, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I love so many of your recipes! The Russian Pound cake, the pannettone and the Limoncello come to mind with such pleasing memories. Could you please bring a reliable recipe for Springerle? As a child, I remember my father being showered with plates full of these licorice flavored cookies. As an adult I never knew what they were until after a lengthy search for this beloved childhood cookie. I have yet to attempt them but remember the beauty of the embossed cookie that was almost a crime to eat. The ones I remember seemed to have a meringue type crunch giving way to a chewy center and of course I know the flavor to be anise now. Please put your finesse on this and help me out this next year! Thank you for all that you do and Happy New Year!

24. Kristen Ann on January 1, 2014 at 12:00 am

I want to thank you for all the awesome recipes that you have shared with all of us. I came across your website 14 months ago while searching for bread recipes. The American Sandwich Bread recipe is the first recipe I made from your website and have cooked and baked several other recipes that you have posted. Hope you and your family have a happy and healthy 2014, as well as Einstein and Duke. They are so cute together.

25. Alley @ Alley's Recipe Book on January 1, 2014 at 12:35 am

Mmm… Blueberry buckle… how did I miss that post?!? Sounds delicious!

26. Katrina @ WVS on January 1, 2014 at 10:58 am

Both babka’s look so delicious! You had such an amazing year!!

27. Kaylee on January 1, 2014 at 5:32 pm

These look wonderful!! Will definitely try a few!

28. Hanna on January 2, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Buckeye Brownies will. be. mine!

29. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie on January 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Buckeye brownies for the win!

30. Mysterious fan on January 7, 2014 at 10:09 am

Cool recipes look the thin crust pizza

31. Mysterious fan on January 7, 2014 at 10:13 am

I love six layered choclate cake:)

32. zack on February 4, 2014 at 10:00 am

Do you have chocolate indulgence recipe and pecan cake recipe? Can you share it?

• Michelle on February 4th, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Hi Zack, I’m not sure what chocolate indulgence is? Do you have a link or a description? I have a pecan pie recipe, and an apple Bundt cake that includes pecans, but nothing called “pecan cake”.

33. Heather on February 21, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I love, love, love..ok possibly am obsessed with your site. I once went to Lynwood, WA and had THE BEST dish (floating rama) chicken with peanut sauce over some kind of cabbage like veggies. I can’t find it anywhere…help me?! I’m stuck in Minnesota with no hope of that deliciously scrumptious yummm of the thai peanut dish (with the peanut butter and coconut creamy flavor and a bit of spice). OR (and) a mind blowing cupcake…with or without filling :)

34. laloo on March 6, 2014 at 9:04 am

i would like to request strawberry mousse and oreo truffles without cream cheese

35. Emma on March 17, 2014 at 11:04 am

I’d like to request more fish dishes. Ceviches, broiled fish, fried fish, etc. Or sushi!! While living in Hawaii, I got really into fish in general and sushi in particular. I know Pittsburgh probably isn’t bluefin-ahi central (bluefin is the best ahi, imho), but even if you could get your hands on some yellowtail (hibachi) and show us some awesome creativity with that, that would be amazing! I try so many of your recipes and they’re all the bomb. I’m sure you could put a spin on spicy ahi poke (my fave) which would blow everyone’s socks off!

36. super john on April 1, 2014 at 5:14 am

nice list

37. Melanie on April 17, 2014 at 10:30 am

I would love to see more dinner options – maybe a quick, one-pan meal? Thanks for posting such great recipes! You have a wonderful blog.

38. Michelle on June 28, 2014 at 9:22 am

Your blog is incredible! I just discovered it a few weeks ago and have made the buckeye brownies and the strawberry pretzel salad, both out of this world. I was just wondering if you have ever been to Nordstrom’s E-Bar ( if there is one in your area) and had their Italian Mocha (it is amazing) or do you have a recipe? I tried a recipe I found online, but it was not the same. Thanks for all your recipes. Do you have plans for a cookbook? I’ll be the first in line to buy!! Michelle ,Nashville, TN

• Michelle on June 29th, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Hi Michelle, Thanks so much for the sweet comments! There is a Nordstrom’s near me (with an E-Bar), but I’ve never gotten anything from there. I’ll have to check it out and try the Italian Mocha!