Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
Caramel Apple Bundt Cake – An easy cake recipe baked up in a gorgeous Bundt pan, and topped with a perfect caramel glaze.
When you’re fresh out of college and just learning the ropes when it comes to cooking and baking on your own, you’re probably not going to dive head-first into a triple layer cake right out of the gate, right? At least, I didn’t. So what do you do when there is company coming over and you want to make dessert? If you’re like me, you leaned heavily on easy, semi-homemade recipes, like this amazing caramel apple cake, which was one of the first cakes that I ever made on my own as an adult.
One Saturday, my mom had my grandparents over for lunch and I wanted to make dessert. It was in September or October, and I immediately pulled out some issues of Kraft’s Food and Family magazine (my go-to in the early days of learning how to navigate the kitchen on my own!) and found this cake. I baked it up (my first Bundt!), served it, and it was a huge hit with everyone. That little recipe clipping has followed me through four moves and I thought it was high time I shared it with you!
This isn’t terribly fancy, it’s not complicated, and it’s not made 100% from scratch, but it is incredibly delicious, and has been met with rave reviews every single time I’ve made it.
I’ve said it before – while I love to bake from scratch, I definitely think it’s great to keep a few really easy, semi-homemade recipes in your arsenal for when you need something that’s not too time-consuming and still makes a great presentation. This cake absolutely fits that bill.
If you’re planning a trip to the local apple orchard, grab some Granny Smiths (or even your favorite variety – I think any would work well!) and make this for afternoon company, a weekend dinner party, or just something to make your regular run-of-the-mill Tuesday dinner a little bit more special.
One year ago: Sausage, Mushroom & Pepper Risotto
Two years ago: Beef Enchiladas
Five years ago: Honey Cake
Six years ago: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Maple-Cream Cheese Filling
Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 2-layer size package yellow cake mix
- 1 4-serving size instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup (72.67 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
For the Caramel Glaze:
- 10 ounces (283.5 g) caramel candy squares, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Make the Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat the cake mix, pudding mix, water, eggs and oil in a large bowl until blended, about 30 seconds. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat for 2 minutes. Gently stir in the chopped apples and transfer the batter to the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes, then turn the cake out of the pan and onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the Caramel Glaze: In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels and heavy cream. Microwave on high until the caramels are melted, stirring every 20 seconds. This will take about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes, until thickened. Slowly drizzle over the top of the cooled cake and let it drip down the sides. Allow to set for about 30 minutes before serving.