DIY Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
Confession time. I really love the idea of making as much as possible from scratch. Not only do I know exactly what is in something, but 99.9% of the time, the homemade version contains significantly less processed ingredients (and usually none at all). From body scrubs to taco seasoning mix and hot chocolate mix, I’ve been working on transforming the convenience packages for homemade versions. The truth is, that the from-scratch versions of these things take literally minutes to make and are infinitely cheaper, not to mention healthier.
My search for a DIY instant pudding mix spun off of my search for a from-scratch version of a favorite family cake. The problem? The “recipe” was basically a box cake mix with a box of instant pudding and a few other ingredients. I knew I wanted to make the cake from scratch, but boy does that box of pudding do wonders to a cake, right? Makes it so moist and melt-in-your-mouth fantastic. I needed to somehow mimic those characteristics, when lo and behold, I actually found a formula for instant pudding mix!
Whether you want to make a cake that calls for pudding mix, banana pudding, an icebox cake or lush dessert, you’re going to love this DIY hack!
I was able to throw this together in 5 minutes, and now I have a stash of instant pudding for whenever I see a recipe that calls for a mix. Not only do I not have to run to the store, but I can keep from-scratch recipes just that.
In addition to using it in your own recipes, this would make a great gift for the holidays. Maybe a basket of this, some homemade cocoa mix, homemade vanilla extract, and other goodies. I am working on a chocolate version as well, so stay tuned!
Now just wait until you see what I have up my sleeve. I think you’re going to love the cake that I used this mix in! It’s an oldie but a goodie, and reinvented to be completely homemade. Be sure to check back tomorrow!
If You Like This Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix, Try These Recipes:
- Banana Pudding
- Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- Best Butterscotch Pudding
- Pineapple Icebox Cake
- Grandma’s Icebox Cake
DIY Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (96 g) cornstarch
- ¾ cup (96 g) nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 whole vanilla beans
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, milk powder, and salt; set aside.
- Split open the vanilla beans and use the back of a knife to scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds to the sugar mixture, and again whisk well to evenly combine, using a fork or the back of the spoon to break up any chunks of vanilla bean seeds. Cut the empty vanilla bean pods into two or three pieces each.
- Place the vanilla bean pieces into an airtight container or jar, and add the sugar mixture. Seal it, and then give it a few good shakes to distribute the vanilla bean pieces evenly. Store in a cool, dry place.
- To make pudding: Combine 2 cups of milk with ½ cup of the instant pudding mix in a medium saucepan over high heat, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, and then immediately reduce the heat to a simmer and continue whisking until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (about 3 to 5 minutes). Let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.