1. These two have been total cuddle bugs for the last couple of days. Duke has started to lose his manic puppy energy and is settling in as a super sweet, awesome dog. At the same time, Einstein has been feeling a little more feisty since losing some weight, so they’ve been getting along really well.
2. In more Duke news, last we started giving him some freedom outside of his crate when we leave the house. We did it the first time during a quick 45-minute errand and he did great, so we kept with it. We’ve left him four or five times since and we haven’t had any issues – no accidents, nothing chewed, a perfectly-behaved pup! I’m so proud of him :) I’ll admit that I was totally nervous the first time, just as I was when I started easing Einstein out of crate long ago, but I feel better knowing he’s not stuck in there if we’re gone for a long time. He’s still sleeping in there at night, and while we have tried twice to get him to sleep in our room (Einstein sleeps in there on his own dog bed), he just paces and whines and wants to go back down to his crate. Baby steps!
3. I’ve been working on trying new slow cooker recipes recently since they’re easy and usually result in a hearty comfort food-type meal. Yesterday, I tried making ribs, which I haven’t made in the slow cooker before, so I held my breath. They were AMAZING! I’ll be sharing the recipe next week, so stay tuned! In the meantime, do you have any tried and true favorite slow cooker meals? If so, feel free to share them below! I have a feeling I’ll be using it a lot more in the coming months.
4. I don’t know about you, but I absolutely adore Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps. I usually buy a big bag from Costco and have them as a snack, as well as use them for dipping – hummus, guacamole, random dips – they’re fabulous for this purpose! This week, I saw Carrian tweet about new holiday flavors and I almost fell off my chair. Peppermint bark-flavored pretzel crisps?! I will eat the entire bag in one setting, I guarantee it.
5. I’m now almost through my 27th week, which means that I’ll officially be into my third trimester on Monday. I can’t believe it! Time is FLYING, and I have a feeling that these last few months are going to go even quicker, with a baby shower, holidays, and getting everything ready for the baby. I feel like I have grown a ton almost overnight this week… I took this picture last Saturday. Whoa belly! At least I can still see my feet (I swear there are actual legs in those boots!) ;-)
The little guy has been moving around like crazy lately… when I first felt him moving, it was only very low in my abdomen. Now, he’s all over the place – low, right in the middle of my belly, my sides, my ribs… I think he’s trying to bust out! Wednesday and yesterday were pretty much the most uncomfortable I’ve felt so far during this pregnancy. On top of the growing my belly has been doing, I haven’t slept all that well, and I’ve been having some bouts of “round ligament pain”. So, I’ve prescribed myself lots of couch time these last couple of days!
6. I got to see my mom for a little girls’ lunch on Saturday… she was diagnosed with shingles a little over a month ago, and both her doctor and mine advised us not to be around each other for an entire month to be on the safe side. I was able to go to her 60th birthday dinner two weeks ago, but we had to sit on opposite ends of the room and I couldn’t have any contact with her. The quarantine is finally over!
7. I’ve been starting to poke around for ideas on what to wear to my baby shower in the middle of November. If you had one during the winter months, what did you wear? I’m thinking a comfortable dress with maybe tights and boots and some pretty accessories? I’m fashion-challenged, so absolutely share your ideas! Also, feel free to share any stores (online or brick and mortar) that might have some good options for a dressier occasion (I’ve been living in tshirts and comfy clothes from Old Navy and Target!).
8. Dara from Cookin’ Canuck wrote an amazing post this week on how to write a business plan for your blog. While it’s geared toward blogging, I think you could absolutely tweak it and use it for any small business venture you might be working on… such a great resource!
9. Thanks for all of the recommendations on cases for my new iPhone! I decided to go with a Zagg Glass screen protector and a Spigen Neo Hybrid case. I got the screen protector already – it was incredibly easy to install and looks great. The case was back-ordered and should arrive early next week. Hopefully I can keep my phone in one piece until then :)
10. TGIF! These guys hope you have an awesome weekend!
I had a lot of troubles with my back pain, as well, during my pregnancy. I survived with prenatal yoga (which helps with labor, too) and gentle water aerobics. When I got further along, I went to a Physical Therapist. I had tried a Chiropractor, but honestly my experience was not a positive one.
I look forward to your Friday things for pictures of Duke and Einstein! But I also absolutely love your recipes.
Best of luck with the remainder of your pregnancy!!
Seraphine Maternity has a nice selection of well made dresses. I believe they have free shipping!
My baby shower was early November and I had been eyeing a cute sweater dress from Gap. But it ended up being a pretty mild fall that year so I still wore a dress, from Gap, but it was just a shirt dress made from t shirt material and flats. Very comfortable! And I think both were on sale. Definitely check sale racks!
I love your Friday Things. Mostly because I love seeing the pictures of Duke and Einstein. We’re getting a baby Golden in 3 weeks and cannot wait! We lost 10.5 year old Golden, Eddy, in July. It has been so rough but the new one coming is making it easier. I just hope he is as well behaved as our old guy.
For your shower go with what is comfortable! I love tights and boots with a dress or skirt. Have fun!
Christine, I’m so sorry about the passing of your Eddy. I hope that the new little fur ball hopes to heal your heart.
How old is Duke now? I have a 9 month old lab mix that I am anxiously waiting for the “manic puppy” phase to end. I can barely let her roam around when I am home… lol
I made some delicious BBQ chicken in the crockpot a few weeks ago. 2lbs of raw chicken and 1 large bottle of BBQ sauce. I made sandwiches out of it with some fancy bread from the co-op and cheddar/Colby cheese. I toasted it in the oven and it turned out really good. I was going to use some of the left overs for BBQ chicken pizza. Maybe next time.
Hi Erica, Duke is 1 year 4 months now. We’ve really started to notice a difference in the last two months or so. He’s still very much puppy (curious, hyper), but a lot more manageable :) I would say I noticed the biggest “calm down” with Einstein when he was 3-4 years old. He was still playful, but finally stopped getting into stuff like shoes, socks, etc.
Always enjoy your posts!!! One of my favorite crock pot recipes is: 1 beef roast (any size, cheap cut is fine), 1 jar medium picante sauce. That’s it! Let it cook on high till tender. Soooo good with mashed potatoes or egg noodles. You may have to thicken the “gravy”. Also, it is a little spicy, but the MILD picante isn’t as flavorful. Try it!!!
You look so good!! I would recommend you splurge on a super cute baby shower dress that is NOT from target or old navy, you deserve it!
I’m usually just a lurker and not a commenter…but the baby bump picture is so adorable! Love your dogs, love your recipes, love your writing style! Glad your mom is doing better..shingles can be a long nightmare! Truly, best wishes to you and yours!
We make a lot of pulled pork/beef in our crock pot, along w ribs, pot roast, chicken tacos, chili, venison steak sandwiches & I’m intrigued about crock pot lasagna.
Here’s a yummy balsalmic pulled beef recipe http://addapinch.com/cooking/balsamic-roast-beef-recipe/
I make a slightly modified version of this for out steak sandwiches
So happy to hear you’re enjoying your pregnancy… It’s a pretty incredible experience!
If you haven’t tried those pretzel crisps with Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter, you absolutely must. It’s my favorite combination :)
I love reading and seeing pictures of your dogs. Their just too cute!! I love how you share about your pregnancy. I loved being pregnant 5x’s (23, 16, 12, 9, 14months) and mommy to each one of my littles ones
The Pretzel Crisps are fantastic! Keep an eye out for the peanut butter coated ones! I know you love peanut butter and these are so delicious! Sweet and Salty!
Your puppy dogs, which are usually always my favorites pictures on your Friday Things, place second today to your baby BALL! That ain’t a bump any longer! I know it’s beginning to be real excitement now!
I’ve been following your blog for years now having stumbled upon it when searching for doggie treats for my yellow lab. Congrats on your pregnancy! This is such an exciting time! I’m expecting a little girl and am now 30 weeks along. I wanted to mention that there are some super cute pregnancy sashes sold on ETSY. I got one for my shower at the store called simplycutieful. Here is the link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/simplycutieful?ref=l2-shopheader-name I think it’s a really nice addition to any outfit and especially a maternity dress (which I wear tons of being located in the Pacific Northwest).
Try making mashed potatoes in a crock pot. It is the best way to cook them. After about four hours, they are cooked through and through. It’s easy to mash them … and, more importantly, they stay very warm. And for an event like Thanksgiving, a lot of the work is done in advance. The recipe I use calls for cubed potatoes, chicken broth, and butter in the crock pot. The liquid is absorbed. You mash with sour cream, cream cheese, and milk. I would love to see one of your perfected versions.
If you find a chiropractor that specializes in the Webster Technique it will work wonders on your round ligament pain! Icpa4kids.com
It’s been a while now (almost 8 yrs!) but i found a ton of cute clothes during my pregnancy on the JC Penney website. I wore dressy pants and a cardigan and cami from there to my shower. Congrats on the active little guy powering through that anterior placenta! He must be like a little ninja in there!
I love your Goldens! I also share the same addiction to the pretzel crisps and have also found a product called SNAPPERS at Costco~my advice don’t even eat one! They are pretzels, caramel, and dark chocolate~total yumminess. I so enjoy your posts about your dogs and cooking. Keep up the good work and have a wonderful weekend.
Your puppies are so sweet, makes me want a 2nd dog so my puppy can have a pal. Baby shower outfit ideas, I have no business giving you ideas because I’ve never been pregnant or had a baby shower. But I recently did some online shopping via Old Navy and they have a lot of really cute long sleeve jersey dresses that pair adorably with leggings and boots, I would imagine there are some maternity options in that arena. Good Luck, your baby bump is as cute as your pups :)
I just found your site!!!! Soooo excited! I found you through one of your dog recipes for either a BD for Duke or Einstein! Can’t wait to try it!! I love your Fridays posts and recipes! Yay!
I don’t have a recipe suggestion, but I do have a pregnancy suggestion. Find a good maternity chiropractor. I started going to one in my third trimester and it was life changing. It helped my back, tailbone pain, round ligament pain, everything! I was skeptical at first- I had never been before, but I am so glad that I went!
Ahhh, tailbone pain! I forgot to mention that, I’ve had it for at least a month now. It’s AWFUL! So hard to get comfortable!
Hi Michelle! Baby showers are so special. I wimped out and wore pants to mine because I figured it was my time and I wanted to be comfortable. I dislike dresses and skirts. However I just had my second baby a few weeks ago and almost went to a wedding with her. I got a cute maxi skirt from Old Navy that was flattering and I almost kept it to wear even after her. Dresses made me look huge! I shopped mainly at the gap and old navy. Good luck…its hard to find clothes when you arent your normal self but remember you will look beautiful no matter what you choose.
My nine year old collie was trained to stay only in certain areas of the house. When invited to venture into off limits places, she comes, but at first opportunity she exits for her section of the house. She’s downstairs with us, not sequestered, so she gets lots of interaction. Was crate trained too as a puppy. She returns to where she’s comfortable as does your Duke, I’m guessing.
So glad to hear that Duke is calming down! I have a 10 month old golden, Gibbs, who is quite active!! I am working with a trainer and it has been amazing to see how she has redirected some of his bad habits. I hate to seem him get out of puppyhood but will be relieved to have a calmer dog. Love seeing the pictures of Einstein and Duke!!
I highly recommend a chiropractor, especially during pregnancy. Once a week visits will help those little aches and pains from carrying the heavy front load weight ;)
Old Navy has the cutest clothes, and aren’t too pricey!! Love the idea of a dress, leggings and boots! You’ll want to be comfortable for your baby shower!!
I love love love my crock pots! Soups, stews, chilis, lasagne, roasts!!! I use them (yes I have several! lol) almost every day!!
Here’s an easy, delicious, hearty, relatively good for you crockpot dinner:
And it makes a ton so you could eat it for dinner, have some leftovers, and there’d still be plenty to freeze. As for your shower outfit, what you are thinking is exactly what I wore to mine in January (three weeks before my Feb. 15th baby). Just make sure the dress is long enough to be modest during all the sitting you’ll be doing while opening gifts and you’re good to go!
Those two boys are just adorable!
For your baby shower I think you’d look super cute in a dress with leggings and boots. Comfort is the name of the game and dresses are sooooo comfortable! (The baby bump is adorable too!)
I am pregnant too! Hit 30 weeks on Wednesday. Seriously, stay as far away from sick people as you can… when you’re in 28 weeks and up, I don’t think you’re allowed to take ANYTHING! I need to call my doctor this morning just to make sure though; can’t trust the Internet for stuff like this! :) I have been sick since Tuesday and I am about to lose my mind. I hope you continue to be happy and healthy throughout the rest of your pregnancy, and I’m looking forward to hearing about what outfit you choose for your shower! Do you know when and what your event will entail– afternoon/evening, at someone’s house or out at a place? Can’t wait to hear all about it!
Hi Stephanie, At my very first doctor’s appointment at 6 weeks, I got a list a mile long of things I wasn’t allowed to take. Pretty much, just Tylenol. I’ve taken it less than a handful of times for bad headaches, but that’s it. I hope you feel better! The shower is going to be at a restaurant.
Are you familiar with lularoe? I have several of their pieces and i’m obsessed. Incredibly comfortable and reasonably priced. Check them out on Instagram.
I was also going to suggest taking up yoga for these last few months. As that little guy keeps growing, so much of your connective and supporting tissues/structures get stretched and yoga will keep you not only more comfortable but hopefully help you avoid some of the more common ailments like sciatica, out of joint SI, etc. Love the idea of a sweater dress – you look adorable no matter what :) Glad you love your ZAGG, can’t wait for you to get the Neo Hybrid!
Both of my kids were born in February, so I was pregnant during the winter as well. For my shower, I wore just like you said and it worked out well. I had a comfortable dress that looked good at all angles (gotta think of pictures), plus tights and boots. The dress was actually short sleeved and I was fine, but I also was rather warm all winter long. I always joked to others when they complained about being cold, that they should just get a baby to keep them warm like I had. :)
I love to see the bump pics! It does seem like it’s flying by!! He will be here before you know it :) I cannot wait to try the crockpot ribs! My husband loves them but I have alway been intimidated by them so hopefully the ease of the crockpot will entice me to make them. OMG, be warned…the peppermint bark pretzel crisps are amazing!! I had them last year. I hid them from my kids so I didn’t have to share ;)
Enjoyed reading your Friday Things post.. thank you.
Hmmm now you can wear for your baby shower and you’re huge :) I love the idea of a winter dress that’s long sleeves with perhaps tights or stocking.. You could definitely use long flat boots or even a close front wedge heel? Or you can use tights / leggings, a longish style winter top and flat boots? Im sure accessories you will manage to choose perfectly… Have a wonderful weekend xx
Loft has some great maternity things and their sales are amazing. I’ve only seen online though…
Happy Friday! :)
I follow @jscott24 on Instagram for style inspiration. She’s currently pregnant and has been posting some gorgeous pregnancy outfits! It’s worth checking out her profile and scrolling through. She always looks really classy and put together, so you might enjoy it. She also has a blog, the link is in her IG profile (I mostly follow on IG though). P.S. I’m looking forward to the ribs recipe!
Something that might help at this point in your pregnancy is prenatal yoga. It really made a difference for me in the last few months. I could tell when I hadn’t done it in a couple days – tight back, sore hips, etc. I found a DVD that I liked:http://www.amazon.com/Prenatal-Yoga-Shiva-Rea/dp/B0000BYNMH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413521524&sr=8-1&keywords=shiva+rea+prenatal+yoga
You might feel silly at first (“Imagine that your baby is enjoying your yoga with you.”) but it helps!
Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll definitely check out that DVD!
I also love those Pretzel crisps! The first time I tried them was with a “dip”… Miller’s Mustard poured over a softened block of cream cheese. I hate regular mustard, but the sweet, hot, tanginess of this is perfect, especially with the cream cheese and salty pretzels.
Ina Garten’s “Company Pot Roast” is my favorite crock pot meal! Her recipe involves cooking it in the oven, but a slow cooker is perfect.