1. Duke has been taking a very serious interest in whatever Joseph is doing, especially now that he’s awake a little bit more, kicking around and making all kinds of noises. I have a feeling they’re going to be the best of friends! Einstein takes a passing interest, sniffs around, and then goes back to his spot on the floor :)
2. Joseph is 6 weeks old this week! He’s been smiling and is much more alert and aware of his surroundings. He loves gazing at new things, and he’s finally started to notice to his furry brothers, as well :)
3. In the month or so leading up to my due date, my mom started making meals for us to stash in the freezer so I wouldn’t have to worry about cooking after the baby was born. She made wedding soup, my favorite chili, baked ziti, meatloaf and spaghetti sauce. Both she and my in-laws brought us tons of food in the weeks after Joseph was born; once all of the hubbub died down and we started to settle into a routine, being able to pull those things out of the freezer was a godsend on nights when we were starving but had no energy to make anything ourselves. I came across these posts on The Kitchn, which are great starting points for stocking the freezer with make-ahead meals: A Week of Dinner from the Freezer and 10 Freezer Meal Plans from Real Home Cooks.
4. In related news, I actually cooked dinner for the first time since Joseph was born last Friday. I made cheesesteaks, which are one of our favorites… quick and easy, and it helped me feel normal again. It didn’t dawn on me until they were in the oven that it was Friday and it was Lent… oops. My brain is currently a shell of its former self.
5. I have to laugh every time I see schools announce their snow delay or closing on Twitter… I still remember hanging out by the radio listening to the long list of schools, waiting to hear ours. I think I was probably in high school before they started reading them on TV… even then, the ticker across the bottom was still a couple of years away!
6. Speaking of snow days, March definitely came in like a lion in my neck of the woods! I love snow, but I’m definitely ready for it to warm up. My birthday is at the end of March; sometimes it’s 70 degrees and sometimes it snows… always a toss-up!
7. Have you seen any of the Oscar-nominated movies? Tell me what I should add to my Netflix queue!
8. Do you fill out a bracket for March Madness? I never watch college basketball (or any basketball, for that matter), but I’ve filled out a bracket for the last handful of years, and it totally brings out the competitive nature in me, ha. I get obsessed with following the scores for the first couple of days and seeing if any of the upsets I picked actually happen.
9. We’re still chugging through episodes of 24 in the evenings – right now we’re not quite halfway through season two. I love it, however every time I hear David Palmer talk I feel like I’m watching an Allstate commercial ;-)
10. TGIF! My boys and I wish you an awesome weekend!
Ah, yes, I remember watching the school closings on TV just hoping to see mine and being crushed when it wasn’t there. I’ve seen a lot of the Oscar movies. Enjoyed Birdman, loved Whiplash and Wild. Currently halfway through The Imitation Game and it’s the best!
Loved the beautiful photographs of you, Joseph and the dogs. It reminds me of my daughter when she was a baby and toddler; there was always a dog or cat close by, adoring her and protecting her. Like you, our pets are close members of our family (we’ve got a Golden Retriever too). Glad you are allowing them to bond and connect; it’s healthy and nurturing for both animals and children. Now my daughter is 7, she is fanatical about and adores all animals. They are her best friends and favourite playmates. Enjoy every magical, beautiful moment with your baby and animals. They are all gifts.
Gorgeous family, sweet little face, and your dog is handsome too! Enjoy every minute. Little Joseph will grow up so face you won’t believe it. :)
I am sorry to say, but I think this is very irresponsible of you. It makes me so mad to see so many pictures online with infants put in precarious situations with dogs. I am sure you know your dog but what would happen if your baby would make a weird noise and your dog bit him or even stepped on him. Who would be a fault here your dog or you? You would be furious with your dog but in reality it is you who made the choice to lay your newborn baby on the ground to let your dog smell him. Plus, why would you want your dog’s mouth directly on your infants face? Come on, dogs are dogs and need to be treated as such. I am a proud owner of two German Shepherds that are a part of my family. They live in my home and go everywhere with me. With that said, I still would never allow my dogs that I trust with my life go face to face with a brand new baby.
last photo where you all sleeping is so great, beauty of human and animal
I always look forward with delight to Friday’s photos. That green towel around your sweet pea looks so cute. And the Golden is certainly tying up a close bond with Baby Joseph. There’s something about the fragrance of a newborn, right? You are certainly blessed!
Gorgeous baby! After seeing your goldens, I’m going to get another (lost mine many years ago). I loved Whiplash too, but it is very intense, and if you’re not up to that, and just want a really good love story with intrigue and vile villains, beautiful clothes and extremely good-looking actors, try Grand Hotel. It’s known as the Spanish Downton Abbey, but I found it so much better.
Sweet, sweet photos. Thank you for sharing them with us. Love the love.
THOSE are the photos I’ve been waiting for! Now that’s a family.
We are chugging though episodes of 24 as well and I think the same exact thing every time I hear David Palmer!
He is TOO cute! I hope you are doing well! Sounds like you’ve got this mama thing down! xo
Absolutely heart-melting! Am thinking of getting a setter, thanks to all these cozy pictures! Bravo, Mom :D !
You all look so cozy :))) Happy weekend!
Hello. I used to be able to login and save your recipes.There were many that I saved.
I don’t see where I can find the recipes I saved in the past (I believe I may have moved it to a different site, but can’t remember which one) and is it not possible to save recipes in a “recipe box” today?
Hi Evelyn, I’m so sorry for the inconvenience! The company that delivered this service ceased operations a couple of months ago, and so far I have not found a replacement. I’m still looking though and working on getting something else in place!
Your boys are so adorable. So glad you’re adjusting so well to being a Mom.
In other news, I am so ready for the snow and frigid temps to be over this season. Have a great weekend.
Oh I love puppy and baby pics!
Lucky lady!! But now you need some more estrogen around your home-time for another soon!!! My kids are 30 and 31 and I am retired. I still prep and freeze food. I have lasagna and turkey enchiladas in my freezer in individual portions-that way my hubby and I don’t have to eat the same thing if we don’t want to. I also take my ground turkey and freeze it in 4 oz balls (in a muffin tin that i put saran wrap on so i don’t have to wash it). They will defrost fast should i need emergency dinner. You will still be doing this 30 years from now!!
What a sweet beautiful boy! Thanks for sharing. Yes, getting ready for the brackets!
Since we live on Tobacco Road in NC(home of UNC- NC State- Duke-Wake Forest)
we watch a lot of college basketball and love it!
Baby and dog photos are all adorable, they will have such a good time together when he is older!
I would love to hear what you think of season 6 of 24 when you get that far. It’s considered the worst season by most 24 fans, but I was/am obsessed with the Mike Doyle character (played by Ricky Schroder.)
Love your posts, the pics make me smile. Too cute for words! Stay toasty warm, and enjoy every second. Babies grow so fast.
Lol! I have a hard time with the Allstate commercials! Why would the president make a car insurance commercial? :)
What a cutie! And when the brackets come out, the gloves come off!
Homemade lasagna or other casserole in a disposable baking dish is my go-to gift for new parents. New babies leave no time and energy for cooking real meals!
Your pictures are so sweet!! This is the first year my husband and I watched all 8 films nominated for the Oscars! Whiplash, Imitation Game, and American Sniper was my favorites. Birdman is very unusual but all four are great for a night in.
So beautiful…so precious….so generous of you to share your beauty. These precious moments are so fleeting. How wise of you to capture them in the hearts of many. The world is a far better place for your love and beauty. I look forward to Friday for this. This old granny thanks you and loves your family.
Thanks for sharing ‘Friday Things’. It really helps us keep connected to your family. Such wonderful pictures and memories to look back on when Joseph is older. I love looking back at baby pictures. My babies are 25 and 22. Yikes! Where did the time go?
First of all he is adorable and I want to squeeze him. Love that your furry babies are smitten too!
Second of all, she totally got shafted but if you have the chance definitely watch Cake with Jennifer Anniston. It was the best I have ever seen her act. American Sniper was also amazing. Happy Netflix-ing!!
A handsome dog + a cute baby = amazing pictures!
Great pics of Joseph and the doggies…have not seen any of the movies from the Oscars….usually I do but this year just haven’t for some reason…Thanks for the link on the freezer meals…will be going to my sister to help her since she hurt herself and I might need those posts for leaving some food for her:)
What a gorgeous baby. He seems so alert for his little age. Congrats again to you and hubby for your little man. Thank you for the lovely pictures you post of your little family, and take care of each other.
Ohhh your Joseph is darling! I have a Joseph too….love love his name:)) March came in like a lion here in Kansas too! But we are supposed to have a warm up this weekend! So excited….and as for March madness… I am ready! I’m a pretty huge Jayhawk fan so this time of year is always fun!
Seriously, your Joseph is so cute it makes my uterus hurt! I can hardly stand it!
ADORable pictures!! Happy 6-week Birthday, Joseph! Michelle, Thanks so much for sharing your joy (and food stuff!) with the world, and me… Blessings!
Six weeks old? WOW! Time really flies! Joseph is going to have a very special best friend in that Duke. Nothing like growing up with a precious dog – Einstein may get more interested as Joseph gets older.
Thanks so much for sharing your sweet pictures with us – I really look forward to your “Friday Things.”
It’s been crazy here in Arkansas this year – we have had major snow events THREE times this year! I live in Hot Springs where we have Oaklawn, a famous horse racing track, and they are very close to record closing days this year! I love snow, so I’m not complaining a bit, but a lot of folks around here are threatening to kill the groundhog! LOL
Have a fabulous weekend with your little family! Stay warm!
That firs tpicture reminds me of my babies and our pets. Every cat or dog thought the children were theirs. They always let me know if a baby needed me. Much too often the dog thought the baby needed me more than he or she really did.
Your blessings are abundant. So happy for you.
Your baby is just beautiful, and your dog so loving.
Great blessings, both.
What a cutie Joseph is! That last picture is absolutely heart melting. So precious. And 24 is the perfect binge watching TV show. I’ll warn you, after Season 3 things get a little rough, and by rough I just mean really predictable, but we just enjoyed watching it and being able to guess exactly what Jack was going to do (yell at someone, threaten to shoot their kneecaps, or disobey orders).
Joseph is so dang cute. Enjoy every minute with him and congratulations!
Joseph is absolutely beautiful! I can see why Duke is so fascinated with him; Einstein is just more mature and cool about his fascination ;) Isn’t it a great moment when you get a glimpse of “normalcy” when you make your first meal after the birth of your baby? I remember that feeling (not what I made though) after having my first child . . . and that was 24 years ago!! “Normal” is completely redefined after the birth of a baby as you settle into different routines. My mantra: the days are long, but the years are oh! so short . . . . Enjoy those long days . . . they are filled with so many blessings. Have a wonderful weekend with your family!
Goodness, that is one cute baby!
Happy Friday! It’s funny that you just mentioned the snow day alerts. I refused to get text alerts when I was in college. I liked the anticipation of turning on the television to watch our school pop up on the ticker. As a teacher, I still like to obsessively check the television instead of receiving texts to my phone about the news. I saw “Boyhood” and really enjoyed it. It was slightly longer than it had to be, but I liked the concept of taking the same actors and working with them for ten + years. I also saw “Grand Budapest Hotel”; if you like Wes Anderson movies, you’ll enjoy it. It’s very witty and entertaining.
I remember those early weeks with a baby, (x3 eventually!), and they’re wonderful, exhilarating, and exhausting. What a Godsend those meals are for you and hubby. I’d recommend The Imitation Game too. Loved the film.
Happy Friday Michelle! The picture of Duke and Joseph is too cute. I too am so ready for warmer weather. Only Oscar movie I saw was The Imitation Game and it was excellent.
I loved whiplash. So so good! You have a beautiful family :)
OMG…Just watched.Whiplash last night…it was a great movie! A little hard to watch at times but a great movie.
I think the dogs love your precious baby! How adorable! I was grandkid sitting and dog sitting for most of this week! Loads of fun! Have a great weekend!
What a cutie!! I am due any day now. Maybe I have time to make a loaf of that meatloaf??
All the pictures are sooo beautiful :) LOVE IT!
love the last photo, you are truly blessed.:)
Nice pics! You are blessed. And your mom made you freezer meals to stash away? You are a lucky girl! I had to hit up Taco Bell. Wife was too tired to cook. Anyhow, like how Duke is kissing baby. I think it’s great that the pets are still getting love and your not all paranoid about germs.