Friday Things #350
1. Over the last couple of weeks, there has been a virus going through Joseph’s preschool class that’s an awful cough with a fever and a number of kids have ended up with ear infections. Joseph had it all of last week and ended up at the doctor’s with an ear infection and bronchitis last Saturday. That was right around when Dominic and Isabelle came down with the cough and while Dominic seemed to get over it in a few days, I had to take Isabelle to the doctor yesterday afternoon where SHE was also diagnosed with an ear infection. We’re definitely limping into the holidays over here 😭 BUT, she was a total sweetheart sitting through both of her brothers’ preschool Christmas programs yesterday morning.
2. It was such a joy to watch Dominic at school, with his friends, singing their little songs. He seemed to really enjoy it! I’ve gotten used to seeing Joseph running around with his friends, and forget sometimes how new it all is for Dominic, and it made my heart so happy to see him content in his environment.
3. I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this here yet (I have talked about it over on Instagram), but Joseph began OIT (oral immunotherapy) treatments for his peanut allergy at the end of August and this week he ate an actual piece of peanut (0.08 grams) for the very first time! He began with a tiny amount of diluted peanut powder, and takes a dose every single day, gradually increasing the amount every two weeks. Earlier this week we got to actual peanut! We still have a ways to go to be safe from cross-contamination (that’s eating 3 whole peanuts)… fingers crossed for continued success 🙏
4. Over the last three weeks, I have accidentally knocked not one, but TWO 16-ounce bottles of vanilla extract off a shelf in my pantry. As I look at the puddle of vanilla extract on the floor, all I can think is 💸💸💸💸😭 I have now put them in a bin at the back, ugh.
5. I’m a total mom now because watching this Travelers commercial with a mom and daughter singing “Hold Me Now” gave me alllllll the feels…
6. Need a super easy holiday snack for parties or gifting? My favorite ever >> Reindeer Chow
7. Can I just say how much I love watching Jennifer Garner’s Instagram stories when she bakes late at night? She is so adorable!
8. If you could only eat ONE Christmas cookie, which would it be?
9. I can’t believe that by this time next week, Christmas will be OVER! Insane! I wish you a wonderfully Merry Christmas, filled with joy and peace in your heart ❤️️
10. Did I ever tell you that these two were born only one day apart? (Judith 10/3/16 and Dominic 10/4/16) – Kindred spirits!
Happy New Year to you Michelle & your simply beautiful family 🎉
I look forward to your weekly posts not only for the always fab recipe content but your lovely family’s latest news.
My 2 towering teenage boys & suddenly grown up 21 year old daughter were just like your children 5 mins ago .😃
Thank you for helping me to rekindle those special early years!! ❤
Dominick is wearing one of my son’s favorite train shirts. :-). I love how soft the shirt is!
Wishing you and your family a blessed, safe and happy Christmas filled with good food and great memories.
Hope no one else gets sick!
Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family! ( Dogs included of course!). Yikes, on the vanilla bottles dropped! I cannot believe how pricey my favorite vanilla is now! You are one very busy mother! I also had three children close in age. I survived it all, and wouldn’t trade a moment of those days when they were growing up! Now they beginning their own families, and bringing me grandchildren at Christmas. My heart is happy! Thank you for sharing your stories, and recipes, of course! Favorite Christmas cookie…..I like them all! 😀🎄
Short and sweet….last pic of Judith laying with Dominic…omg. sweet and touching beyond words. What an amazing picture.
My favorite Christmas Cookie-Fiesta Fudge. They are also one of the easiest to make (starts with a bag of sugar cookie mix).
The thought of Christmas being “over” by this time next week has really been bothering me for a few years now. Growing up, Christmas was only beginning on Christmas Eve and there were still Christmas dinners, parties, get-togethers to be had in the days following. Our tree was never put up much before a few days before Christmas Day. Nobody thinks about the 12 days of Christmas any more and that they begin with Christmas Day. This year I’m determining that at our house we still have 12 glorious days to celebrate Christmas. I hope a lot of people begin to think about the 12 days of Christmas once again. There was always the preparations leading up to Christmas, but the celebrations only began at the earliest Christmas Eve. The earlier Christmas appears the quicker everyone is tired of it and wants it to be over Dec. 26th. So sad . . . .
Thank you for sharing recipes and your life with us. Over the years I have baked, cooked, and laughed and cried through your shared experiences. Happy holidays to your entire family. Oh, my favorite Christmas cookie to eat is Rugelach filled with mini chocolate chips, pecans and cinnamon sugar.
Well said. I so agree.
Luckily my vanilla extract comes in a plastic bottle! Got it in Mexico. My fave Christmas cookie is still shortbread.
Fav cookie—thin frosted cutouts….😋
Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family.
Joy in 2020!,
Make your own vanilla extract. Bottle of vodka, some vanilla beans and some time…
Easy to do, but since one would want the *good* vodka, also expensive, as vanilla beans can be quite pricey too. I’ve been saving my dried out vanilla beans (used to flavor sugar) and have been stuffing them in a bottle to make vanilla extract. Fortunately I’ve a friend who didn’t mind filling my bottle with her good vodka when I started. Now to go splurge on a bottle myself….
Thank you for sharing those delicious recipes! Your children are precious and I enjoy seeing them growing up!Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family! Hoping the children are getting much better!🎄🎄🎄♥️🥰
I love your recipes and always look forward to Friday Things and Weekend Dish. Merry Christmas!
My all time favorite anytime cookie, including Christmas, is a sour cream sugar cookie. I’ve had the recipe for close to 50 years. My favorite thing about it is that it can be made as a drop cookie, or, with the addition of more flour to the dough and on the counter, a rolled cookie. Frost with a buttercream icing and add sprinkles . Over the years instead of the buttercream frosting I’ve made a drizzle with confectioner’s sugar and heavy cream. I just mix until I get the right consistency, then dip the cookies . I set cooling racks on a half sheet pans and let any excess drip off. I always make the drop cookie as I have no patience or skill at rolling cookies.
I did not know there was a therapy program to help someone with a peanut allergy. That is totally awesome. Glad you’re having success with it. Your children are adorable and I trust you all are healthy, and yes I do love your reindeer chow!
Merry Christmas to you, too! And to your family! So much fun with little ones. I feel your vanilla extract pain. I knocked over my uncapped 16 oz bottle. Same as you. All I saw were dollars in a puddle ! You made me tear up with the one cookie because I immediately thought of my aunt, gone only a few years. I never even liked her gingerbread but what I wouldn’t give to sit with her and have one. Ahhh, the holidays. Filled with so many memories that make us cry. And smile.