Friday Things #411
1. On most mornings, these two take themselves downstairs, fill up water bottles, and take out a game to play. I love their little routine and finding them playing (mostly!) so nicely when I come down the steps. It totally warms my heart.
2. I think Dominic picked up the term “your majesty” from watching Mr. Rogers and he now uses it in hilarious ways but says “THE” instead of “your”. For instance, I’ll call to him from another room, “Dominic!” and he’ll answer, “Yes, the majesty?” Or I’ll ask him to do something and he replies, “Okay the majesty!” I seriously die every single time 🤣
3. We had a little glimpse of warm weather this week and we all enjoyed getting out to enjoy it!
4. Thank you so much to everyone who recommended The Modern Mrs. Darcy to me last week! I did a huge deep dive into her site and reading lists and came up with a list of books to read for the year. I doubt I’ll get through all of them, but just having a little plan feels good. I’m starting with Unbroken because it has literally been sitting on a shelf in our office for 7 years, then next in line is The Four Winds.
5. The caption of this Katharine Hepburn photo inspires me to be a better person.
6. If you’re celebrating St. Patrick’s Day this weekend or next week, these Guinness, Jameson & Baileys cupcakes are a long-time reader favorite!
7. I found an unopened container of Trader Joe’s Cucumber Avocado Body Butter in one of my bathroom drawers and started using it last week. As soon as I opened it, the smell hit me and I was immediately transported back to middle school and early high school days when all of the girls smelled like cucumber melon or Sunflowers (and most of the boys smelled like Cool Water, ha!).
8. A great read for anyone who spends any amount of time online >> 12 Rules for Navigating the Internet Intentionally
9. I totally didn’t even realize that we change the clocks already this weekend until I heard Dominic’s preschool teacher telling the class during calendar time yesterday. Let the crazy kid sleeping atrocities commence 😭
10. TGIF! These two are truly one in the same soul; it’s no wonder they were born less than 24 hours apart 😍
the majesty!!! so CUTE
For more reading ideas, you might also like the blog everyday-reading.com. She’s a former children’s librarian, now mom of four who has great recommendations for books for all ages of kids, and moms too.
The pic of your little guy and his dog just melted me. I think it’s so important for children to love and care for animals. Dogs can teach us so much. What a precious pic!
I loved the book Unbroken. It is interesting to read about the author. Reading about her is almost as good as the book. She is amazing. She has an illness that keeps her homebound and it takes a great deal of effort to write her books. Her research is astounding! She clips notecards at eye level so she doesn’t look up and down because otherwise, it makes her really dizzy. Just thought I would share the idea to learn about the author. Like everyone else, I enjoy your blog very much. I remember when you had your first kiddo! That is how long I have been following. That surprises me when I think about how fast time is flying by.
Oh wow, I am definitely going to go read more about her! Thank you!
“The Majesty!!” LOVE it!! I also love that they watch Mr. Rogers. He is a hero of mine and I recall those days of watching with my kids, now teens/adults. You have your blog to recall sweet statements like Dominic’s but since I am not big on journaling or lots of writing, I had used index cards and wrote down quotes like that one and the date. They are in an index box. My kids like to pull those out occasionally and read them. It was an easy way for me to remember those moments without the pressure of a journal or blog. Each birthday I used to ask them all their favorites and write them on an index card and have them sign it. Fave movie, friend, book, food, etc. It’s an easy way to document memories.
Thank you for sharing about your kids and family traditions.
This is such a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing! :)
REALlY loved this one ! Had never heard of the Modern Mrs. Darcy site and found a wealth of new books etc. Yay. Also LOVED the Katherine Hepburn photo/caption. So sweet. The Internet blurb was so timely and appropros. Great food for thought this week. Kudos
Awwww..sweet boys. Heart melting at them filling their water bottles together in the morning. Little partners. They’re all so close your kids. Reflecting such care n love from their parents❤
Sweet pic of doggie standing next to your son like a hooman lol.
The Katharine Hepburn quote isn’t hers, unfortunately. I look forward to your posts and miss them on the rare occasions when you can’t make them – for whatever reason!
Hi! I’m a faithful fan. 😁 Today I made the strawberry cupcakes & they came out perfectly. But the strawberry meringue was a failure. 🤔☹ It got to 160°, beat to a beautiful gloss with stiff peaks. Still warm, so I cooled in fridge for 5 mins & began sowly adding the cubed, room temp 1-1/2 (3 sticks) of softened unsalted butter, It seemed like an awful lot. The frosting turned liquidy. I staunchly continued & added the 8oz of pureed strawberries. As you mentioned, it might curdle, but I continued. No luck. All that work & failure. I have made marshmallows and 7-min frosting & never had a problem. Can you tell me what might have gone wrong?
Oh no! You mentioned you put the bowl in the fridge for 5 minutes, but was it totally cool when you took it out? Did you attempt any of the troubleshooting tips in that blog post? I’m sorry the frosting gave you issues!
Dominic is truly a wise, old soul. I enjoy your stories about his antics, the Majesty. Thanks for sharing.
“Just precious!!”….oops! Sorry
The picture of Dominic & your puppy…oh my gosh…just previous!!
Thanks for sharing! I look forward to Friday to see your blog.
Just like LE SHANE, I too look forward to Friday Things. I come to work stressed thinking TGIF! Then I open my e-mail and there it is, Friday Things. What a special way to start the day!
Thank you for sharing your life with us! I look forward to Friday Things every week and is my favorite way to start my day.