Salted Rolo Brownies
These super fudgy Rolo brownies are loaded with chopped Rolo candies, have additional candies pressed into the top of the batter, and include a healthy dose of flaked sea salt for the ultimate balance.
I’m pretty sure that I’ve never met a brownie I didn’t like. It would be really hard to cast aside a supremely chocolatey snack/dessert like a brownie. I never turn eating one, and I rarely come across a new brownie recipe without stashing it away to make at some point. Even though I have my favorites (see: the Baked brownie, better-than-box-mix brownies, and Ina’s outrageous brownies), I can’t resist trying new brownie recipes. Case in point: these salted Rolo brownies.
There’s chocolate, caramel, a little more chocolate and, best of all – flaky sea salt!
These is definitely a fudgy brownie recipe, which is right up my alley.
Take a bunch of Rolo candies (chocolate-covered caramel, for those not familiar!) and chop them up to stir into the batter. This creates amazing little surprise pockets of oozing caramel – the BEST! Additional Rolo candies are pressed into the top of the batter before baking, so you are guaranteed one whole candy along with your brownie :)
This is a supremely easy brownie recipe, especially if you’re looking for that amazing sweet and salty combination that you usually find in salted caramel sauce, but without the work!
I put out a container of these after dinner one Sunday when we had a houseful, and everyone kept going back and eating a half, then another half, and well… that’s definitely my MO when I’m snagging portable desserts!
Bake up these salted Rolo brownies as a surprise after-school treat, for your next bake sale, football party, or whenever you’re just craving something a little sweet and salty. You’ll love them!
Salted Rolo Brownies
These super fudgy brownies are loaded with chopped Rolo candies, have additional candies pressed into the top of the batter, and include a healthy dose of flaked sea salt for the ultimate balance.
- 14 tablespoons (200 grams) unsalted butter
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup (125 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup (125 grams) dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt (such as fleur de sel or maldon)
- ½ cup (63 grams) chopped Rolo candies
- 9 whole Rolo candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl set on top of a small saucepan of barely simmering water and stir occasionally until completely melted and smooth. Remove the bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, dark brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until pale and fluffy. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the melted chocolate mixture to combine. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the chocolate mixture, add the fleur de sel and fold until no streaks of flour remain. Gently fold in the chopped Rolo candies.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Press the whole Rolo candies into the surface of the brownie batter, evenly spaced. Bake until the surface is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely in the pan, then transfer to a cutting board and slice. Leftover brownies should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.