Skillet Meatball Parm
An easy skillet meal – awesome meatballs simmered in a tomato sauce and topped with lots of fresh mozzarella.
Before I start talking about this recipe, I have to thank you all so much, from the bottom of my heart, for all of the amazing heartfelt comments you’ve left about Einstein’s passing… From here on the blog, to the hundreds of emails, Facebook and Instagram messages… we’re reading them all, and we thank you for all of your prayers and good thoughts as we go through this process.
I could think of no other time that comfort food is more appreciated, and this recipe is the epitome of comfort food, so I’m sharing it with you today. While we usually just eat meatballs with pasta, I saw a recipe awhile back for a skillet meatball parmesan that I could absolutely not pass up. What could make spaghetti and meatballs any better? Spaghetti with meatballs that are covered in a layer of ooey, gooey, melted fresh mozzarella. SOLD.
I used my favorite meatball recipe, courtesy of my father-in-law, but instead of baking them in the oven, they are briefly sautéed in a skillet until browned, then simmered in sauce until cooked through.
And then, the best part… cover them in fresh mozzarella and pop them in the oven under the broiler until the cheese is melted and blistered and looking totally ooey gooey and delicious.
For an easy, delicious spin on regular old spaghetti and meatballs, you can always count on loads of cheese for taking a meal up a notch!
And if you’re not in the mood for spaghetti, make this meatball parmesan and then heap them onto rolls for a meatball parmesan sandwich. Perfect for game day meals!
Skillet Meatball Parm
For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound (453.59 g) meatloaf mix, mixture of ground beef, pork and veal
- ⅓ cup (40 g) talian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely minced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) dried parsley
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Remaining Dish:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ (0.5) small onion, finely chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 28 ounce (793.79 g) can whole peeled tomatoes, pureed
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- 8 ounces (226.8 g) fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Make the Meatballs: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix with your hands until thoroughly combined. Shape into 2-inch meatballs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning frequently, until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the meatballs to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and basil leaves; reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Return the meatballs (and any accumulated juices) to the skillet, cover and simmer, turning once, until the meatballs are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Arrange the mozzarella slices on top of the meatballs. Broil until the mozzarella is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with additional fresh basil, if desired. Serve warm.