Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
Merry Christmas Eve!
I wanted to share one more recipe with you before the holiday because I loved this so, so much last year. Growing up, we always, always, always went to church on Christmas Eve. My parents were big advocates of relaxing, lazy Christmas mornings. We could sleep in, take our time opening presents, my mom would cook breakfast, and we could hang out in our pajamas playing with our new toys until it was time to go to my grandma’s. There was no rush to hurry up and get ready for church, and I always loved that.
As a grown-up, I still love having relaxing, laid-back Christmas mornings, and something warm for breakfast is an absolute must. I made this overnight breakfast casserole at my mom’s last year, and after we woke up and opened our presents, my mom, sister, and I dug into the Crock Pot for a wonderfully warm breakfast that had cooked itself and was waiting for us!
I had cooked the sausage, shredded the cheese, and sliced the onions early in the morning on Christmas Eve, and had just stored them in the refrigerator until later that night. Before bed, I layered everything together in the Crock Pot, turned it on, and went to bed. I woke up to such a delicious smell, and I couldn’t wait to eat. This turns out to be a massive baked omelet with layers of breakfast sausage, hash browns, cheddar cheese, and green onions. The edges get a little crusty, and I would be lying if I denied standing over the Crock Pot, picking off all of the crusty pieces, and piling them on my plate. So good!
If you love the classic hashbrown casserole side dish, you are going to LOVE this version all amped up for breakfast!
This is a great casserole, especially if you have particularly busy Christmas mornings and want a warm breakfast. It’s also great if you have lazy, relaxing Christmas mornings and just want more time to play with your toys instead of standing in the kitchen :)
I wish you a wonderful, warm Christmas Eve with those you love.
More Delicious Breakfast Casseroles:
- Baked French Toast with Praline Topping
- Cheesy Bacon, Mushroom & Spinach Breakfast Strata
- Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Breakfast Casserole
- Cheesy Sausage Spinach Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Casserole
Slow Cooker Sausage, Hash Brown & Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
- 32 ounces (907.19 g) frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 16 ounces (453.59 g) breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 12 ounces (340.2 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 eggs
- ¼ cup (61 ml) milk
- ¼ teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) pepper
- Additional salt and pepper to season the hash brown layers
- Grease the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer ⅓ of the hashbrowns on the bottom, then season with salt and pepper. Top with ⅓ of the cooked sausage, then ⅓ each of the green onions and cheddar cheese. Repeat the layers two more times, ending with the cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the hash brown, sausage and cheese layers in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (the edges will brown). Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.