Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip

What girl doesn’t have a memory of licking the beaters or eating finger-scoops full of chocolate chip cookie batter while their mom was baking cookies? It just felt right. Then, “they” started saying we were going to die from doing that because of raw eggs. Well, that just ruined all the fun. Then last year a friend of mine introduced me to a dip that tastes EXACTLY like cookie dough. All the sinful fun without the raw eggs!

Each month the women in my neighborhood get together for a “girls night” and enjoy some non-men, non-children fun. We rotate host houses and everyone brings a snack to share and their beverage of choice and we sit around and gab. I thought this cookie dough dip would be perfect for such an occasion. And it was – almost every single girl at the get together asked me for the recipe- it was a huge hit!

Be forewarned – this is super sweet and incredibly addicting!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip (adapted from Recipezaar)

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (8-oz) pkg cream cheese
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
3/4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips

1. In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the brown sugar over medium heat. Stir continuously, until the brown sugar dissolves. (You can also do this in the microwave but watch it closely. The butter/sugar mixture will boil over fast. Stir every 30 seconds or so.)

2. Remove from heat, whisk in vanilla extract and set aside to cool.

3. Beat the cream cheese and confectioner’s sugar for 1 minute.

4. Slowly beat in the cooled butter mixture and beat again for another minute.

5. Stir in the chocolate chips.

6. Pour into a serving bowl and refrigerate.

7. Garnish with additional chips, if you choose.

Serve with Nilla wafers (my choice) or graham crackers.

**Note: after refrigerating the dip it will be pretty solid and un-dippable so make sure to remove it from the refrigerator about 15-30 minutes before you plan on serving it, so it has time to soften up.

48 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip”

1. Kayte on July 14, 2007 at 11:07 am

this looks so amazing. i loooove cookie dough so i will have to give this a try sometime. and your girls nights sound like a blast! i need to move to a neighborhood like that ;-)

2. Jigginjessica on July 15, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Yum! I love this recipe. You are right, once you refrigerate it is pretty solid.

One cute thing I do with this is to crunch up the nilla wafers and add some melted butter then I push that into the bottom of a cupcake liner and then put the “dip” on top and refrigerate. I always get raves when I do that!

3. Amber on July 15, 2007 at 12:18 pm

This looks so stinking good. I could go for a big scoop full of it right about now. I will be starring this recipe in my reader.

4. zebe912 on May 25, 2008 at 9:47 pm

I really wish that I could have dairy and sugar! This sounds SOOOO good!

5. PHYLLIS on November 2, 2008 at 7:15 am

Please help me! I have made this dip several times, # 1 it is never white, and # 2 it is never solid it is gooey. Help what can I be doing wrong, I follow the reciepe to a tee.

• Nancy on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Are you using real butter? Not margarine? And Philadelphia Cream Cheese…?

6. Michelle on May 26, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I just made this and I think I want to be your best friend. I lOVE the recipe. So fast and easy and unbelievably delicous!
    Thanks for sharing it!

7. someone on February 5, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Ugh, why not just open up a can of frosting and call it dip? blargh xP

8. Chris on February 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm

This is going on my list of recipes to try!

9. Jessie on February 8, 2010 at 4:22 pm

this was a huge hit at the superbowl party I attended!

10. Pingback: Taco Dip | Brown Eyed Baker

11. Pingback: Cranberry Orange Scones | Brown Eyed Baker

12. Tricia on January 19, 2011 at 9:28 am

This was an awesome recipe! I made it over the weekend. Thanks for sharing!

13. Pingback: 45 Super Bowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLV | Brown Eyed Baker

14. Rhondi on February 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I made this dip for our Super Bowl party yesterday. It was a huge hit by all the chocolate lovers! We used Nilla wafers for dipping, as you said it was your favorite. Thanks for an amazing recipe!

15. Pingback: Valentine’s Day Dessert Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

16. Gretta on February 8, 2011 at 6:20 pm

THIS officially makes YOU my hero.

17. Martha on February 9, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I make a similar version but just soften the butter and cream cheese and blend it all together, then chill and serve with graham crackers or the chocolate wafer cookies sold by the ice cream toppings. I’ll definitely try the nilla wafers !!

18. Sarah on February 16, 2011 at 11:38 am

I made this for a Superbowl party I was going to – even doubled the recipe!! SO GOOD! – Just didn’t need to double it because it was so rich, even with using light butter & FF Cream Cheese! Delicious and will definitely make again – it’s gone into my “Busy Mom’s Cookbook” binder of all my go-to recipes.

19. Pingback: See Lynn Blog » Blog Archive » Dippity Do Dah

20. Pingback: Crack-Laden Dip (with Chocolate Chips) « Feed Me Seymour

21. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies | Brown Eyed Baker

22. Marketta Mckibben on August 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Boa tarde, só hoje tomei conhecimento do seu artigo por um alerta do Google. Descobri que verdadeiramente possui informações relevantes para minha atividade e tenho adicionado aos favoritos para futuras visitas. Parabéns pelo seu esforço!…

23. Debbie on October 26, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I just made this and it tastes great. But mine is a beige color. I am not sure I cooked the brown sugar long enough. How do you know when the sugar/butter mixture has cooked long enough?

• Michelle on October 26th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Hi Debbie, Just until the brown sugar is completely melted.

24. Pingback: 100 Best Summer Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

25. Pingback: New Year’s Eve Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

26. Pingback: 13 Sensational Super Bowl Party Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

27. LILA on December 31, 2011 at 9:29 pm

this looks AMAZING! definitly trying these and the cookie dough brownies next! :D

28. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip «

29. foodislove! on January 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Can this be made ahead of time then frozen? Once needed just thaw it out?

• Michelle on January 30th, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I have never done that, but before freezing I would recommend just making it a day or two in advance and keeping it covered and refrigerated if you need to free up some time.

30. Caitlin on February 5, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I made this recently for a little get together. It is so simple to make and my friends loved it. But I am not sure I did it right… the brown sugar was not dissolving into the butter like I thought it should. It wasn’t a problem, however, once I blended everything together… it still mixed in nicely.

Also, I wanted to use graham cracker sticks but couldn’t find them at the store so I settled on the Nilla Wafers for dipping and LOVED THEM with this recipe. Thanks!

31. Pingback: 75 Valentine’s Day Recipes | Welcome to the Celebrity Bake Book...

32. LB on February 11, 2012 at 9:49 am

Made this for the Super Bowl – so so good!! Didn’t taste like cookie dough to me – you could taste the cream cheese too much. But it was still so delicious!!

My brown sugar melted waaaay before the butter did. Next time (oh yes there will be a next time!) I will cut up the butter so its smaller than a big stick and will melt faster.

33. Pingback: Things To Do on Rainy Spring Days « Food, Faith, and Other Fabulous Finds

34. Pingback: 185 Best Summer Recipes

35. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars

36. Pingback: 4th of July Recipes 2012 | Biz Chicks

37. Allison on July 13, 2012 at 5:45 pm

This looks so tempting. By the way, you’re one of my favorite blogs!
    -Allison

38. Linda Granada on August 25, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I made something similar to this, using 1/2 cup softened butter, 8 oz softened cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 T brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 cup chocolate chips. I just creamed it altogether and thought that’s how I was going to use it but I thought it tasted too much like the cream cheese. So, I saw a post somewhere else that suggested adding flour and white sugar so I did. I added like 1/2 to 3/4 c flour and about 1/2 c of white sugar. It made it more the consistency of regular cookie dough and was it ever yummy. I’m taking it to a church picnic for the first time tomorrow so we’ll see how it goes!

39. Pingback: 75 Super Bowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLVI | Brown Eyed Baker

40. Pingback: A Very Merry Un- Birthday | Life Done Domesti-Cali Blog

41. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip – The Way to His Heart

42. Food, Faith, and Other Fabulous Finds on November 14, 2013 at 5:26 pm

This was incredibly sweet and tasty.

43. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip and Pumpkin Pie Dip | Cookware Store

44. Linda Curtis on December 30, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I’m making this for our New Year’s Eve party. I know this will be an “appetizer” hit with vanilla and chocolate wafers, marshmallows, and sliced bananas on the side. Thanks for a great recipe!

45. faith on June 24, 2014 at 6:58 pm

looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love cookie dough