The Chocolate Chip Cookie

For the better part of my baking life (at least 10 years now) I have been haunted by the chocolate chip cookie. It’s the most simple of all baking recipes, yet I have struggled to find the perfect recipe and successfully make a cookie that didn’t turn into a rock within 5 minutes of coming out of the oven.

The classic Nestle recipe? Forget it.
The much-loved BBFCCC? Totally screwed them up.

Earlier this year I came upon the recipe that adds vanilla pudding mix to the cookie dough. While this resulted in a chewy cookie, it was a little cakey and missing the ooey gooey goodness that I have always dreamed of achieving.

Last night I kept eating chocolate chips out of a large bag that I had sitting in the pantry, and in an attempt to get them out of my reach I decided to give the elusive chocolate chip cookie another shot. The recipe below has elements from a lot of different recipes and tips that I have read online, so I am honestly not sure who to credit for it. I would like to think that I finally created something on my own :) The result of this recipe is what I have always longed for from my chocolate chip cookie – thin, not cakey, soft, chewy and gooey. I am in love :)

Mission Accomplished!!

Chelle’s Soft & Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Microwave butter for 30 seconds, stir and set aside. Do not worry if it is not completely melted.

3. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

4. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla on medium-high speed until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk and beat until combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture, beating just until combined (do NOT overmix!). Stir in chocolate chips.

5. Refrigerate dough for 15-30 minutes.

6. Drop by rounded spoonful (I used a Pampered Chef cookie scoop that holds approximately 2 tablespoons) onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are just brown and middle is not quite set yet. Cool on pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.

7. Before adding more dough to warm cookie sheets, place sheet in freezer for 5-7 minutes to cool.

Store in an airtight container. Recipe yielded 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

32 Responses to “The Chocolate Chip Cookie”

1. Aud on September 4, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Oh man! Now I want cookies! Can you send some over to my job? :) I’m going to have to try your recipe. I, too, have been in search of the elusive perfect chocolate chip cookie!

2. Julia & Tyler on September 4, 2007 at 2:20 pm

I may have to give those a try! I had success with the BFCCC cookies until I tried to double the recipe, it was a disaster. My husband really hates the “pudding cookies” so that recipe is out as well! That tollhouse recipe is terrible and I’ve never been able to get them to come out right (they are always crispy little rocks). Who would think such a simple cookie would be so complicated?

3. Deborah on September 4, 2007 at 3:15 pm

I will admit that I have found that the best recipe for me is the Tollhouse recipe. After trying many others, I always go back to that one. My one trick is to use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening – I know lots of people are against shortening these days, but they make my cookies just how I like them!!

4. JANET on September 4, 2007 at 4:56 pm

I will have to try your recipe! Mine are always too crisp and not chewy enough!

5. Carrie on September 4, 2007 at 7:06 pm

Congratulations on your cookie baking success!

6. Amber on September 4, 2007 at 8:30 pm

Your cookies look absolutely wonderful Chelle! Great job. My husband is a chocolate chip cookie lover so I will have to make these for him.

7. Jigginjessica on September 5, 2007 at 11:19 am

Score one for Chelle! They look great!

8. DeborahSW on September 5, 2007 at 1:37 pm

Yay for finding a recipe that works for you! I’ve struggled with chocolate chip cookies too, they’re not as easy as they look! :)

9. Bev and Ollie "O" on September 28, 2007 at 10:50 am

Never mind the cookie qeustion I asked earler, I found these! will definately try them and let you know! x

10. bakingblonde on November 18, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Dang girl! Those look divine. I will add these to my MUST make list. I love your blog so much, your pictures are great and the way you describe the food makes my tummy growl!

11. Casey on February 25, 2008 at 7:36 pm

These look delicious! One thing that I do with my chocolate chip cookies is to substitute in 1/4 cup of oat flour for the all purpose flour. Gives the cookies a nice nutty flavor while at the same time making them chewy!

12. Carrie on March 14, 2008 at 8:27 pm

I made these tonight, they are SOOO good! http://adamswife.blogspot.com/2008/03/cherry-m-cookies.html Thanks for sharing the recipe

13. Paula on December 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Was searching for a new c.c. cookie recipe so I came to you! Missed the part about chilling the dough, it certainly mixed up nicely. At nine minutes I was afraid they were burning, took out and then felt that the middle was definitely not done, so back in for another two minutes (sides were getting dark at eight). Delicious, will now refrigerate rest of dough and continue baking. I knew I’d find a yummy choice here, thanks again!

14. Elizabeth on August 7, 2011 at 11:08 pm

These are delicious, fluffy, and gooey all at once. I made mine fairly large and 12 minutes at 375 was still too long so keep an eye on them! I’ve heard from here as well as other sources that refrigerating the cookie dough is all the difference and this time I had patience and listened, at least 20 minutes! All your recipes are wonderful and because of you I’m getting the reputation of being a master baker with my friends and family.

15. Marie-Claude on September 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I just re-posted it. Best chocolate cookies ever. Thank you very much for sharing. What a great discovery!

16. Anna Lisa on September 23, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Hi there! I love your site, and find it very helpful! I am going to try your pumpkin muffins tomorrow for a tailgate. I tried this cookie recipe, but was somewhat disappointed by the outcome. I followed directions perfectly, but my cookies came out pretty cake like. Do you know what may have gone wrong? Thanks!

17. Melissa R. on October 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I’m in the process of making these cookies for my O.R. Staff and I must say the batter seemed too loose at first. I’ve let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes & the first batch smelled heavenly. I’m hoping they make it to the hospital tomorrow. Yum!

18. Elaina on February 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I just made these and they are by far the best chocolate chip cookies ever! I will be using this recipe again very soon :)

19. Kate on March 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Holy Cow! I just made these and sampled the first one after letting it cool for a few minutes. Awesome, awesome awesome. Thanks!

20. erin on April 5, 2012 at 11:18 pm

These came out a bit cakey but still good. Great thing my husband likes cakey cookies haha.

21. Ranissa on April 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm

These are by far THE BEST chocolate chip cookies I have ever made. From now on this is the only recipe I ever make. YUMMMMMMMYYYYYY

22. Tish on June 16, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Man O Man these cookies are perfect!!! I printed this recipe around christmas time and with all my other christmas baking Chocolate chip cookies got backed up. Anyway I had a major chocolate chip cookie craving so I decided to try this recipe. AMAzING thanks for all your work finding the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe I really wish I would have made them earlier.

23. Nikki Dope on July 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Foodspiration. YAS!! I’ve been searching for a good batch of cookies, because the last ones I made were a grand fail.

24. Jenn on September 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I have made these cookies several times, and I just wanted to comment to say how amazingly delicious they are. I usually use heavy cream instead of milk for extra deliciousness. <3

25. Pingback: Soft & Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies – The Way to His Heart

26. Pingback: Until we have a real oven… | Miscellaneous Musings and More

27. Erika on December 26, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Could I add pecans to these if so how much?

• Erika on December 26th, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Also are you supposed to microwave softened butter for 30 seconds or is it cold butter?

• Michelle on December 27th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Hi Erika, Start with cold butter. Enjoy!

• Erika on December 27th, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Thank you so much for clarifying! Can’t wait to try these out! Everyone of your recipes I’ve tried, from your Snickerdoodles to your Banana Bread, they’ve always came out as a success! Keep them coming for sure! ;)

• Michelle on December 27th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Hi Erika, You can add them; I probably wouldn’t add more than 1 cup.

28. Erika on January 1, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Hey Michelle, so I made these cookies today and they were so DELICIOUS! My family really enjoyed them!! One thing I noticed though, is 375 for my oven made the cookies brown a little too much for my liking at 12 minutes. However my family loved the color, so next time I make these I might try to adjust the temperature. Other than that, AMAZING flavor, texture, yummy in my tummy!! Thanks again for another killer recipe! :)