Christmas Baking: Biscotti – A New Recipe

img_7704-2.jpg

Behold the beautiful biscotti that will be gracing my gift tins to family and friends. Now I know that I just posted a biscotti recipe not too long ago, but I wanted to share this one as well because they have somewhat different properties. The previous biscotti recipe produced a soft and tender cookie, which was very good. This recipe, however, mimics what I have grown up to know and love about the biscotti – hard, crunchy, and it withstands multiple dips into a cup of coffee without falling apart. So both of these are good; if you want one that’s a little softer to enjoy eating with your tea I would suggest my previous entry. However, if you’re Italian or a dunker, you’ll want to use this recipe, as I feel it’s much more authentic. Also, the previous recipe made significantly smaller biscotti, whereas these are substantially larger and look like they came from a coffee shop. A little drizzle of chocolate and they were ready for my tins!

Basic Biscotti

(Adapted from The Feast Within)

1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3/4 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat your oven to 375F.

Cream the sugar and butter together until fluffy, add the eggs one at a time along, and then add the extract.  Scrape your bowl if needed to make sure everything is smoothly mixed and incorporated. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl. Add it gradually to the creamed mixture and mix just until a dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and rub your hands with a little flour. Divide the dough in two and form each half into a log about 4 inches wide by 10 inches long. Bake on parchment lined baking sheets until lightly browned and small cracks form on top, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly on the baking sheets. Transfer the logs to a cutting board. Slice on the diagonal in generous 1/2 inch slices – this is easiest by using a straight down chopping motion with a good santuko or chef’s knife. Place them with the cut side up on parchment lined baking trays and bake another approximately 16-20 minutes or until slightly browned, turning over half way through the baking. Cool completely on a wire rack.

23 Responses to “Christmas Baking: Biscotti – A New Recipe”

1. Amber on December 27, 2007 at 10:47 am

Your biscotti look perfect. Great job.

• Fran on October 23rd, 2012 at 1:48 pm

What did you use for the chocolate on the biscotti?

• Michelle on October 25th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Hi Fran, I probably just melted semisweet chocolate chips and drizzled. It’s been so long!

2. Angela9011 on November 15, 2009 at 8:43 pm

How many total slices does this recipe make? email me at ams9011@yahoo.com THANX

3. jacket potato oven on September 3, 2010 at 3:33 pm

hmm……….. looks like it`s yummy!! hehehhe…

4. Lisa on December 3, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Hi Michelle,

Getting oodles of ideas from you for my Christmas baking! I haven’t made biscotti in years but since I’m Italian, perhaps I should make some again. I see there is already salt is in this recipe. Usually if it’s unsalted butter, it specifically states it. Did you use salted or unsalted for this recipe. When it just says “butter”, I usually just go with salted since that’s what I usually have on hand. Thanks!!

• Lisa on December 3rd, 2010 at 5:01 pm

One more thing…also printed your Cranberry White Chocolate Biscotti. Should I make these and just alter them or make that recipe? Trying to avoid my own trial and error….or should I call it “gaining weight while doing my own side by side taste testing!” :)

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Ah, thanks for the catch on the butter Lisa! This is a recipe I wrote a looong time ago and wasn’t as good at it ;-) Definitely use unsalted butter. I would go ahead with the recipe you printed out for the cranberry biscotti – that one takes into account some extra moisture from the cranberries. Happy Baking!

5. Alicia Marie on May 20, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Thanks for this basic recipe. It looks great. I’m going to try a second batch substituting some cocoa powder for some of the flour to make chocolate biscotti.

6. Francesca on December 16, 2011 at 12:31 pm

This looks great! Do you think that I could add a cup of shelled, toasted hazelnuts to this? Also, how long is it’s shelf life?

• Michelle on December 16th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Hi Francesca, Yes you could definitely add hazelnuts, yum! The biscotti can stay for a few weeks.

7. Susan C. on January 6, 2012 at 1:12 am

I just finished making these amazing creatures. So easy. I added choco chips to the dough and they were fabulous. Thank you!

8. Li-Anne on May 5, 2012 at 6:13 am

How long will these keep for, and what’s the best way to keep them?

• Michelle on May 7th, 2012 at 9:27 am

Hi Li-Anne, You can store them in tins or airtight containers at room temperature. Biscotti keep for a long time, I would easily a few weeks to a month.

9. Christine R. on May 10, 2013 at 2:31 pm

These are the perfect basic biscotti! I upped the extract to 1 tsp and used anise instead of vanilla and they came out absolutely picture perfect. Thank you for the recipe!

10. Rose D'Amario on June 13, 2013 at 11:25 pm

HI, nice blog, very interesting. Great recipes and of course Einstein….
    how adorable. I have an English Bull Dog and love him to death….
    I too am Italian from Naples, what part of Italy is your family from
    if you don’t mind me asking that is…..I live in Canada.
    ciao

• Michelle on June 15th, 2013 at 9:58 am

Hi Rose, My grandfather grew up in the mountains outside of Rome.

11. gail koch on June 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm

You mention your soft biscotti recipe but I have’nt been able to find it. please snd if you have the time. Thanks

12. Kristine on October 24, 2013 at 10:30 am

I would love the recipe link for the softer biscotti! I love coffee and biscotti, but my family does not like coffee and prefer softer cookies. Thanks!

13. pat broussard on November 15, 2013 at 7:47 pm

loved your recipe but didn’t like the idea that I had to print 12 pages to get the recipe which was on just 1 of the pages .

14. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » Yule Log [Bûche de Noël] with Espresso Mascarpone Filling and Ganache Icing

15. Pingback: Yule Log [Bûche de Noël] with Espresso Mascarpone Filling and Ganache Icing | Devil0S' Blog

16. MIranda on May 12, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Thank you for this recipe I will be using it for a school project.