Mini Cheesecake Cookies

You all know how much I love cheesecake, right? So picture little 8-year-old me going bananas over these little cookies. I was insane about them then, and still am now. My mom always made these for the holidays, and they were always in the top 3 of cookies I would save room for. Neither one of us has made them in years, and I decided to put an end to the drought this year. I feel they are necessary cookie tray material.

These are one of the easiest cookies to throw together. Line mini-muffin pans with paper cups, drop a Nilla wafer in the bottom of each one, then combine cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla (which takes less than 2 minutes), fill the cups, and pop them in the oven! Once they are cool and chilled, top each one with a little bit of cherry pie filling. And then take a bite. And another bite. And then another. That’s what I do, anyway. For a cheesecake lover, these are the next best thing when everything on a cookie tray is bite size!

What are your favorite holiday cookies to put out on a tray?

Three years ago: Peppermint Bark and Buckeyes

Mini Cheesecake Cookies

Yield: About 40 mini cheesecakes

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

About 40 Nilla wafers
2 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Cherry pie filling

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a mini muffin/cupcake pan with paper liners. Place one Nilla wafer in the bottom of each mini muffin well. Set aside.

2. Cream together the cream cheese and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy, and thoroughly combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined. Mix in the vanilla.

3. Divide the batter evenly among each cup. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the edges and top appear set.

4. Cool completely and then chill for at least a couple of hours. Top with a small amount of cherry pie filling. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

84 Responses to “Mini Cheesecake Cookies”

1. Maggie on December 22, 2010 at 1:15 am

Sounds like just what I’m looking for…quick and easy. I just had surgery and this is ideal for me. Thanks Michelle! Thanks also for posting the info about the Kitchenaid 6qt mixer. Merry Christmas to me ; )

2. Amy @ Serve At Once on December 22, 2010 at 3:00 am

So cute! Talk about a quick and easy way to get cheesecake. I’m in!

My favorite cookies to put on a tray are peanut butter blossoms. Their proper place is not in a jar, as the Hershey’s Kiss will get smooshed; their glory is to be displayed for all the world to see!

3. notyet100 on December 22, 2010 at 3:30 am

feel like picking one

4. linda on December 22, 2010 at 4:00 am

going to need heavy duty exercise of the treadmill kind after i finish baking all your great recipes…this holiday season its all about BEB for me!!
    pecan tassies (super yum), coffee + espresso cheesecake (a staple in my repertoire= fab!), cranberry & pistachio bark, toffee pretzel bark (yippee for both), & cowboy cookies…up next your buckeyes!
    i love all cookies with chocolate!

5. Paula on December 22, 2010 at 4:19 am

They seem easy to cook, and also very delicious, so I’ll save the recipe to try it :)
    Thanks!

6. Lauren at KeepItSweet on December 22, 2010 at 6:23 am

i used to do this with an oreo in place of a nilla wafer, so easy and delicious

7. Amanda on December 22, 2010 at 6:46 am

Michelle – Have you seen these?
    David Lebovitz posted them on facebook, and they look amazing. I’m going to give them a go once I get to my in-laws’ this weekend!

8. Nicole (I have trouble with forward motion) on December 22, 2010 at 7:38 am

This was the first year I did a tray of cookies for both work and family. I made two kinds of rum balls, lemon rosemary thumbprint cookies with strawberry preserves, pfeffernussen, coconut macaroons (plain and dipped in dark chocolate), and your fabulous salted double chocolate peanut butter cookies. I may even make more for the weekend..

9. Tiffany @ Conor & Bella on December 22, 2010 at 7:49 am

Adorable! Little cheesecake cookies are excellent for the holidays.

10. Lynn Brown on December 22, 2010 at 7:52 am

Great looking treat!!! will have to try, love the easy, peasy part!!!

11. Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish on December 22, 2010 at 9:18 am

I’m not a big fan of cherry flavors, so a quick swap with strawberry will make these amazing for me!

For me, it’s buddy bars. A chocolate chip bar cookie with peanut butter and then more chocolate on top. How could you go wrong?

12. Tina from PA on December 22, 2010 at 9:35 am

Too funny!! I’m making these today ,it must be a Pittsburgh thing! I’ve been making these since the early 80′s , my husband loves them, one of his top 3 ,along with mini ladylocks and black bottom cupcakes! Hope you have a Very Merry Christmas!!!!

13. Paula on December 22, 2010 at 9:44 am

These are so pretty, perfect for the holidays!

14. Rhondi on December 22, 2010 at 10:23 am

Pefect little cheesecake bites for the holidays. My family would go crazy for these! Now I have to go back to the store for some cherry pie filling as these are going out on our Christmas eve platters.

15. Maria on December 22, 2010 at 10:25 am

These are so cute! I love mini treats!

16. Katrina on December 22, 2010 at 10:29 am

I love mini cheesecakes!!

17. Step on December 22, 2010 at 10:47 am

You just put the biggest smile on my face! My grandmother always used to make these. She would use cherry, blueberry, apple, and pineapple fillings so we’d have an assortment. My fave was always the apple. She will be 92 in January and hasn’t made these in forever. Thanks for the recipe…now I can make my own!!!!

18. Tammie Perry on December 22, 2010 at 10:56 am

These were always the go to dessert at my house too. I haven’t seen the recipe posted until now but these are super easy and delish. You can also top with peaches and blueberries and they are just as yummy as the cherry ones. :)

19. elizabeth on December 22, 2010 at 11:02 am

How do you think these would fare in the freezer? I am a lifelong cheesecake lover, but I never make it because, well, I don’t want to even attempt to eat a whole cheesecake before it goes bad. But little mini cheesecakes tucked away in the freezer would be so perfect.

• Michelle on February 16th, 2011 at 9:44 pm

These are perfect for the freezer! Just save the topping for when you’re ready to eat them!

20. Kristi on December 22, 2010 at 11:24 am

I used to make these for the holidays, years ago when I was a ‘stay at home’ mom!! They are always a hit!! I would top them with a variety of things…cherry pie filling, blueberry pie filling, whipped cream, strawberry slices….they look beautiful and decadent!!! YUM!!!

21. Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat on December 22, 2010 at 11:53 am

These look fantastic! The perfect bite. The possibilities for fillings are endless- caramel, chocolate, strawberries. Perfection!

22. Delishhh on December 22, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Ohh these are so pretty. Love them. My favorite are lussekatter “safron bread” and swedish pepparkakor “ginger snaps.” When it comes to Christmas i go back to my Swedish traditions, that is the only thing i will not ever give up.

23. Cornelius the Pig on December 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

these look really yummy! so easy too

24. the blissful baker on December 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm

oh those are absolutely darling! they look delish!

25. Amanda@Choc-Chip-Cookie-Recipe.com on December 22, 2010 at 2:26 pm

For me nothing says Christmas like a plate of peanut clusters. My mother’s favorite, so she made SCADS of them every year for friends, family, and neighbors. In fact I found a plate of them in my car yesterday and new Mom had been there!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Amanda

26. RavieNomNoms on December 22, 2010 at 2:29 pm

My mom makes cookies like that at Christmas time but doesn’t add the fruit on top. Yours look super pretty and tasty!

27. Island Vittles on December 22, 2010 at 3:13 pm

like a couple of others said, this is an awesome “quick fix” for holiday cheesecake cravings! Theresa

28. eatgreek.net on December 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm

they are adorable and tasty!!! :D

29. Toby on December 22, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Cuteness! teeny leetle cheesecakes!

30. foodlvr on December 22, 2010 at 5:32 pm

These are just adorable. I don’t bake Christmas cookies, per se. I just make what I feel like making. This time it was a new chocolate chip cookie recipe, from Jessica Seinfeld’s new book. I also made a batch that I added Andes Candies Bits to. Yum. I normally make candy and caramel corn at this time of the year. I made 2 kinds of bark, 2 batches of caramel corn, some applesauce muffins, the cookies and a batch of brownies.

31. TiffKey on December 22, 2010 at 5:41 pm

My favorite cookie to put on the cookie tray is the cookie with sugar in it! :D

32. Liz on December 22, 2010 at 6:17 pm

That dollop of red on top is beautiful! Lovely cookies :)

33. Theresa on December 22, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Ooh those look really cute. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I’m not sure I’d have time left to do any more baking but these would be perfect for Christmas parties. :)

34. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having on December 22, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I love this recipe! It’s so simple but sounds delicious! I’m in charge of bringing cookies for dessert at a New Years pot luck next week. Guess what I’ll be bringing!

35. Kate @ Diethood.com on December 22, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Oh I love cheesecake! These are so cute! Great job!

36. Leslie on December 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Love these little classics!

37. Betty @ scrambled hen fruit on December 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I love these bite sized treats! Who needs a cookie when you can have cheesecake?

38. The Housewife on December 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I love mini anythings and mini versions of cheesecake are just tooo darn tempting to pass up! :P My fave cookies to put out will always be gorgeous chocolatey chocolate chip cookies… nothing store bought can ever match a home made version.

39. Sandra on December 22, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Oh so easy to overeat!

40. bergamot on December 23, 2010 at 2:45 am

These cookies look just great. Love the cherry topping

41. Tes on December 23, 2010 at 7:26 am

Wow these cheesecake cookies look so adorable. I wish I had some of that for my party. Can’t wait to try this :)

42. CaSaundra on December 23, 2010 at 8:22 am

Oh wow–I sure love cheesecake, and am a huge fan of cookies, so combining the two is like the best idea ever in my book! It’d be fun to use all sorts of pie fillings too :-) I think cherry would be my first pick, then blueberry!

43. Irma on December 23, 2010 at 11:18 am

That’s it. I’ve decided: You are a genius!! Sheer genius!! :D

44. torviewtoronto on December 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm

looks wonderful happy holidays

45. Kori on December 23, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Oh, my grandma used to make these each Christmas! She did both cherry and blueberry, and us grandkids always ate them right up! Yum! Happy holidays!

46. Winelady Cooks on December 23, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Like Tina from PA above, I’ve been making these since way back when. A friend brought these to a party and I was so excited at how delicious they were and “easy” to make. I’ve been making them for large gatherings ever since then. They make a great presentation and who could ask for more! And they are flexible, you can choose any topping you like.

Thanks for sharing,
    Happy Holiday!
    Joanne

47. angel van on December 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I have made other versions with chocolate chips in the batter before. Funny enough we just had a Christmas cookie exchange and I made Oreo Truffles but my favorite thing to make are the peanut butter cookies with a Reese cup stuck in the middle.

But I have a quick question. I have a friend that is allergic to eggs but loves cheesecake. What is a good substitute for the eggs since there are no health food stores close to me where I can find the egg replacer? Thanks for the help in advance.

• Michelle on February 16th, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Unfortunately I’m not at all familiar with egg substitutes when it comes to allergies and would hate to steer you in the wrong direction. I’m sorry! :(

48. Rachel on December 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm

These were quick and easy! The only thing I had trouble with was filling the cupcake liners with cheesecake filling. I finally settled on putting the cheesecake filling in a frosting bag and piping it into the cups. Make it less messy!

49. Shannon on December 24, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Another delicious recipe…thanks!!

50. serena @bigapplenosh on December 24, 2010 at 6:51 pm

These look super cute, yummy and easy – thanks for sharing! And congrats on making Top 9!

51. The Pie Guy on December 25, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Very cute dessert. I like the red contrast with the light cake base. I wonder if these can be chilled enoughto be mailed to friends and family?

• Michelle on February 16th, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Unless you could somehow ship in an insulated container and ship overnight, I don’t think that they would stay cool enough to endure shipping.

52. Eva on December 26, 2010 at 10:53 am

Made these for Christmas dinner. Actually made them 2 days ahead and plated them up Christmas Day. Super easy and super delish! I placed them on a glass pedestal cake plate with a glass lid. Made a beautiful presentation.

53. Nour.. on December 29, 2010 at 5:33 am

looks wonderfull…i think the taste will be so great…..i like all your topics…am egyptian by the way ….& happy new year browneyebaker ;-)…..

54. Lisa (With Style and Grace) on December 29, 2010 at 11:27 am

My goodness, you’re right, these are amazing! I hope you don’t mind, I made them and shared on my blog – giving you all the credit of course. Thank you, thank you!

BTW – I love your blog!

55. Shannon on December 30, 2010 at 9:32 am

I was planning on making these today, but am now in a bit of a situation.

The Nilla wafers don’t seem to fit in the mini-muffin liners that I purchased because they are too large. And then in the average size muffin liner they are too small.

Did anyone else have this problem?

• michele on January 6th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

that’s what i was thinking too! maybe they sell mini nilla wafers or something?

• Michelle on February 16th, 2011 at 9:49 pm

They do sell mini Nilla wafers, but you could also just break the wafers in half if they’re not quite fitting. Somehow the Nillas fit absolutely perfectly in my pan – I have the Calphalon non-stick mini muffin pan.

56. Priyanka Naik on January 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I make these exact same ones! But i use reduced fat/fatfree cream cheese to keep is healthy. I also make a chocolate version by adding some melted bittersweet chocolate to the batter and chocolate Nilla Wafers! mmm :)

57. Lisa on January 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I was searching through different recipes and found one with the tollhouse cookie dough at the bottom and the other with the Nilla. I used regular size, not mini and bought the mini Tollhouse cookie that were in little blocks that you can break apart to bake. Easy, so I thought. Well, I prebaked them for about 7 mins per someone’s suggestion but they didn’t spread very well, then the final product actually stuck to the paper so we had to bite the cookie off of the paper! LOL They were delish but I think I’ll give yours a whirl, Michelle! Nillas sound easier!

58. Jordan on January 6, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I wonder if these would still come out well in a normal-sized muffin pan? I don’t have a miniature one unfortunately, but the recipe looks amazing!

• Michelle on January 13th, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Jordan – I’ve never made them in regular-sized muffin pans, but I don’t see why not! You’ll get less of course and you’ll need to increase the baking time, but yum more cheesecake :)

59. Tyler on January 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I love these! My grandma used to make them all the time for us!
    RE: Jordan – I’ve made them before in a normal sized muffin pan. They’re just as good!

60. les 2 gourmands on January 10, 2011 at 8:34 am

They’re the cuttest ever !!!!

61. Sue Palethorpe on January 20, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I grew up with almost exactly the same thing
    only difference is the cookie
    My mom would use grandmas family shortbread recipe & use them as the base!!
    delish!!!

62. Jen on January 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm

These were my absolute favorite growing up. My mom always made them in a normal-sized cupcake pan, and they are what I wanted to bring to school for birthdays and other celebrations. I made them for 4th of July about 5 years ago — half with blueberry pie filling on top, the other half with cherry — but haven’t made them since. I’ll have to dig up her recipe and make some soon! (and also see if her recipe is the same as yours — it seems like it would be)

63. Mrs. Dohpaz on January 31, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Wow, these look so GREAT. I’ve saved this to try sometime!

64. Lindsay on February 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Will these hold up if baked the day before a party or will they get soggy from sitting too long?

• Michelle on February 14th, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Hi Lindsay, No you can definitely make them ahead and keep them in the fridge! My mom would make them for the holidays and keep them in the refrigerator for at least a week in case company showed up!

65. Ashley on February 22, 2011 at 11:57 pm

So simple and so awesome!

66. barbara on April 11, 2011 at 5:34 pm

canyou freeze these

67. Erika on May 20, 2011 at 8:59 pm

hi michelle love your recipes, can you publish the recipe of the cherry pie filling pliss?

• Michelle on May 20th, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Hi Erika, There is no recipe, I use canned cherry pie filling :)

68. Dana on July 3, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I made these and they were absolutely delicious! In place of the cherry filling, I used strawberry. :D

69. Wendy on December 7, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I also had the problem with the Nilla Wafers being too big for my muffin tin. Planning to try mini Nillas…

70. Sandi on December 11, 2012 at 10:23 pm

How well do you think these would fair at a bake sale indoors???

• Michelle on December 12th, 2012 at 10:33 am

They would do well! Highly recommend these!

71. Bernadette on May 20, 2013 at 7:27 am

Hi there. There look delicious and I’d love to try making them. Where do you get your mini cupcake liners, please? I just bought my mini-muffin pan and it’s the same one that you use, but all the mini liners I’ve seen (Michael’s, Joann’s) are too small around the base and too short. Thanks!

• Michelle on May 22nd, 2013 at 12:25 am

Hi Bernadette, I actually got those from my mom… she purchased them from a local bakery supply store. I know what you mean – the ones at the store are never the right size! I checked the packaging on mine and they are just in a cardboard tube – no markings or anything. I’m sorry I can’t be of more help, but if you have a bakery supply shop near you, check that out!

72. Chrish on November 11, 2013 at 7:26 am

Hi,
    These Sounds like Yummy..!!
    This Mini CheeseCake Cookies looks delicious and adorable.
    I love cheesecake most. I read your recipe its really unique and easy to make.
    Thanks For Sharing….

73. Veronica on April 10, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Love your website and love this receipe!!! I tried it twice and my boyfriend loves it!! Thank you!