Cinco de Mayo Recipes

This coming Thursday marks one of the best foodie holidays behind Thanksgiving and Christmas – Cinco de Mayo! A day when it is perfectly acceptable to eat chips and salsa/gaucamole for each meal and wash them down with margaritas? Count me in! Cinco de Mayo actually commemorates the Mexican’s army victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Ironically, it is not a Mexican holiday and is actually primarily celebrated in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. I love learning the history behind holidays such as this – I always learn something new!

Below are a handful of Brown Eyed Baker recipes that are perfect for celebrating Cinco de Mayo, with more to follow this coming week!

Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix

Guacamole

Seven Layer Dip

Tres Leches Cake

Chicken Fajita Enchiladas

Grilled Fish Tacos

Caramel-Topped Flan

What are your favorite Cinco de Mayo recipes??

25 Responses to “Cinco de Mayo Recipes”

1. Nisrine on May 1, 2011 at 7:50 am

I loove Hispanic food. Guacamole and flan have to be my favorite actually. Yours look great!

2. Amanda V on May 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

I’m making Horchata, arroz con leche, pico de gallo, fruit salsa and pinto beans along with tortilla chips and cinnamon tortilla chips.
    I made tres leches cake last year, though, so good!

3. Katrina on May 1, 2011 at 9:16 am

I love all of these. I’m going to try out your taco seasoning soon. I’m in Switzerland and they dont sell it here!

• Dinah Garcia on May 1st, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Dont worry, I’m from Mexico, they dont sell “taco seasoning” here either LOL :P

4. T. on May 1, 2011 at 11:12 am

Ah, bless you for this! I always use my own seasonings for tacos, but I’ve never managed to get the taste *just right*. I’m so excited to try it now!

5. Marilyn on May 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I really like your taco seasoning and always have some mixed up. For some time know I’ve been wanting to try your tres leches cake, so hopefully Cinco de Mayo will get me motivated.

6. Sherry Greek on May 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I have made tres leches quite a few times from your recipe and I love it! I will be heading to the Market District Cinco de Mayo event in Pittsburgh that evening! Woohoo! Guacamole is a must=)

7. Krissy @ Make It Naked on May 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I love anything with avocado!I just made a mango salsa that I put on top of pretty much everything I ate for the week. Great collection of recipes!

8. Sarah on May 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm

My favorite Cinco de Mayo recipe is for birthday cake — because it’s my birthday! :-D

9. chelsi on May 2, 2011 at 2:24 am

Churros are great! But too hard to make (frying / grease scares me) I wonder if there are any good recipes out there for churros that don’t require the oil and the frying pan

10. chelsi on May 2, 2011 at 2:26 am

I decided to investigate and pillsbury has a recipe for baked crescent churros. I might have to give them a try. Thank you for the cinco de mayo inspiration! :)

11. Paula on May 2, 2011 at 10:00 am

Cinco de Mayo celebrations at your house must be delicious and fun! Great post.

12. Jenny Flake on May 2, 2011 at 10:25 am

Great cinco de mayo recipes!!

13. CathyN on May 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Cinco de Mayo is my birthday and this year will be the big 5-0!!! I love to tell people that the whole country celebrates my birthday!

14. Yaneri -Sweet Baker on May 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm

For me I love celebrating with a nice icy cold beer, some ceviche and tostadas! Mexican music in the back ground and celebrating with family and friends!!!

Yaneri

15. kitchenarian on May 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I don’t know yet what I am going to make, except I know that guacamole is on the menu. And yours looks so good. Thanks for all the ideas.

16. Lisa @ The Cooking Bride on May 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Seven layer did is one of my favorites and I haven’t made it in – like – FOREVER!

17. Tracy on May 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I just love guacamole…and that flan looks lovely too!!

18. Maria on May 2, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I’ve been eating a lot of Mexican food lately. This baby really likes it:) Great roundup here!

19. Erin on May 2, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I love anything with avocado! I am stocked up for a week full of Mexican inspired dishes. Going to make Chicken Burrito Pizza later this week, excited to try that!

20. Juanita on May 3, 2011 at 4:53 am

Oh lawd…please let me live in a country where I can celebrate Cinco de Mayo too!
    “A day when it is perfectly acceptable to eat chips and salsa/gaucamole for each meal and wash them down with margaritas?” Yes please!!!!!!!

21. Maja on May 3, 2011 at 6:45 am

This collection of recipes looks amazing ! Especially the enchiladas !

22. Sprinkling of Sugar on May 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Cinco de Mayo is my absolute favorite holiday of the year!!!!!!!!!!! What’s not to love, really? Thanks for sharing these delicious looking recipes, I’ve been looking for some inspiration!

23. Kelli H on May 3, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I love mexican casserole bakes. Yum! Love one pot meals.

24. Cookin' Canuck on May 4, 2011 at 10:41 am

Great round-up, Michelle. I liked to dive right into those grilled fish tacos.