Top 10 List: Favorite Bar Dessert Recipes

For this next installment of my Top 10 series, I was originally planning on combining bars and brownies, but I soon realized that I definitely had more than enough favorites of both to create separate lists. Stay tuned next Monday for the Top 10 brownies! In the meantime, feast your eyes on all of these wonderful bars. I love bar desserts because of their simplicity. Not only are they typically quite easy to make, but they are also easy to slice, pack up to take somewhere, and eat with your hands, no fork required. (The one exception to the no-fork rule might be the strawberry pretzel squares, but they are worth that extra little effort!) Below are my 10 favorite bar dessert recipes – enjoy!! (And don’t forget to share your favorites in the comments!)

1. Blackberry Pie Bars – One of my all-time favorite pie bars, they have a custard pie base full of blackberries and topped with a pie crumb topping. A definite summer picnic must-have.

2. Chewy, Chunky Blondies – This is my go-to blondie recipe that I switch up with different add-ins from time to time, but this original recipe is fabulous as-is.

3. Chunky Pecan Pie Bars – The very first dessert recipe that I can remember baking on my own, this is my grandma’s recipe for pecan pie bars with chocolate chunks mixed in. I still get totally addicted to these every time I make them!

4. Peach Crumb Bars – Another favorite summer bar, these are fabulous with fresh peaches. You can also mix and match other fruit, but the peach version definitely holds a special place in my heart.

5. Peanut Butter and Jelly Pie Bars – I know I just made these last week, but they automatically had a top spot from the get go. These are amazing and I can’t stop eating them. (Tip: These are amazing straight from the freezer!)

6. Peanut Butter Cup Bars – I’ve been making a version of these since college – they are easy, no-bake and taste just like a Reese’s peanut butter cup!

7. Salted Peanut Chews – These seem to have been around for years, but I just discovered them recently and fell in love. Kind of a cross between a rice krispy treat and peanut brittle – delicious!

8. Snickerdoodle Blondies – All of the amazing flavor of a snickerdoodle in the body of a blondie. Definitely a favorite, and great for the fall!

9. Snickery Squares – A bar version of a Snickers candy bar with a layer of dulce de leche. Yet another peanut-based favorite, but can you blame me? :)

10. Strawberry Pretzel Squares – This is definitely an oldie but goodie. It’s been made by members of my family since I was kid and it’s a staple at summer parties. The combination of sweet and salty is unbelievable.

What are your favorite bar desserts? Can’t wait to hear about more ideas and add recipes to my baking list :)

40 Responses to “Top 10 List: Favorite Bar Dessert Recipes”

1. Heather (Heather's Dish) on June 13, 2011 at 12:14 am

yes, please, i’ll take a dozen of each!

2. Jen of My Tiny Oven on June 13, 2011 at 1:07 am

I seriously need to stop reading your blog before bed… I am so hungry now!
    Those peanut butter cup bars and insane!! YUM!

3. Meryl on June 13, 2011 at 4:12 am

These are great – I use regular limes:
    Key Lime Cheesecake Squares:

4. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga on June 13, 2011 at 5:27 am

I just opened like 9 links. Omg. Thank you for this post.

(wipes drool)

5. Katrina on June 13, 2011 at 5:57 am

All of these look so tasty. Here’s a secret: I like bars better than cookies. Shhhh! lol

6. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on June 13, 2011 at 6:02 am

I think I want to make every single one of those recipes!

7. Teri@thefreshmancook.com on June 13, 2011 at 8:31 am

Oh my goodness! Snickerdoodle blondies?! I have never had these, but that will soon be remedied. Can’t wait to make them! Thanks!!!

8. Ann on June 13, 2011 at 9:07 am

YOU, my friend, are a genius! I can’t wait to see the next installment!

9. Karissa on June 13, 2011 at 9:46 am

Gosh, I might have to make it my summer project to make all of these…and possibly veganize some of them. *drooling*

10. Amy @ The Savvy Kitchen on June 13, 2011 at 9:54 am

Yum! You can’t go wrong with bar desserts. I made one recently called Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars and it was just divine! Thanks for compiling all of these!

11. Cindy B. on June 13, 2011 at 10:41 am

I love ALL your recipes!

12. Lori @ RecipeGirl on June 13, 2011 at 10:44 am

I’ll take a dozen of those snickery squares!

13. Dana Salvo on June 13, 2011 at 10:57 am

I think I just gained 10 pounds reading this post. I want to snatch each one off the screen and devour them!

14. Jess Wakasugi on June 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Wow, I wouldn’t mind stuffing my face with any of these bars! :) The crumb bars all look especially fantastic, I can imagine how wonderful fresh fruit would be in them!

15. alex on June 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I LOVE bar recipes! Nice way to adapt cookie recipes that you like. One that I love, it’s no bake, has peanut butter, corn flakes, and chocolate! Yum!

16. madge @ vegetariancasserolequeen on June 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Oooh Peach Crumb! That is the first one I’ll be bookmarking…

Don’t you just love utilizing seasonal foods into your baking/cooking?

17. Sharlene Simon on June 13, 2011 at 1:52 pm

My favorite (up until I try all of these!!!) is Hello Dolly bars from Southern Living. Had them at my birthday party this year instead of cake and what a hit they were! Yummy! Easy to make! All your fav flavors right in one bar! Enjoy!!!!

18. Cookin' Canuck on June 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm

They all look so good, but I think I’d have to start with the Blackberry Pie Bars and the Snickerdoodle Bars.

19. Ksenia on June 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I just came across your blog, and I’m absolutely in love with you! I couldn’t stop myself from going further and further back bookmarking pretty much every recipe. Looking forward to more delicious yummies from you!

20. Ems on June 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

One of my favorites is a cookie base, middle layer of sweetened condensed milk mixed with peanut butter, and mini M&Ms on top! The most addicting bars I’ve ever eaten!

21. Tricia on June 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Wow. Those are beautiful bars. I want them all.

I love any variation on 7 layer/magic bars like those Hello Dollys that Sharlene mentioned. Yum. Raspberry Crumble Bars are delicious, too. Oh, and Toffee Bars and Lemon Bars. Mmmm.

22. Mandy on June 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Thanks for the post! These are by far my favorite bar cookies!

23. The Chocolate Priestess on June 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I notice a square shape theme here… on purpose or on accident?

• Michelle on June 13th, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Well, most bars are baked in a square pan or 9×13 and usually serve 16 (in a square pan) or 24 – it’s easy to just cut them up into squares and serve!

24. Maria on June 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Dorie’s Chewy Chunky Blondies are my all time favorite! Love them!

25. Melanie on June 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Those all look so good. I’d go for any peanut butter/chocolate combo too! I actually make a bar similar to the Hello Dollys but melt chocolate and peanut butter and pour in a layer over top (rather than the morsels/pecans) after baking. It’s a great variation!

26. Michelle on June 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I’ve never had the Hello Dolly bars, I must make them!

27. Tracy on June 13, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Those peach crumb bars look incredible; I still have yet to try them. My favorite bar to make are my chocolate chip jam bars though…I think they may just be my all-time favorite dessert. :-)

28. Steph@stephsbitebybite on June 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I guess I’ll have to start at the top and work my way down, because there is no way I can pick just one of these to start with! I want them all

29. Jen on June 13, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Those all sound yummy but I have two favorites, Congo Bars from http://www.bakerella.com and Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cheese Bars (great for Christmas!) http://desertdrivelblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/chocolate-chip-cranberry-cheese-bars.html

30. Paula on June 13, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Great listing of fabulous bars. Those pecan pie bars are putting me in the baking mood!

31. Chris on June 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I have some baking to do! After making the Peanut Butter Cup Bars, I became everyone’s best friend! I think the peach crumb bars are next. :)

32. leslie on June 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Ohhh wow…this is heaven all in one post!!!

33. hobby baker on June 14, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Mmmmmmm! I always liked pecan pie BARS better than pecan pie anyway…

34. Susan on June 16, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Ummm can I have them all, like right now? ;)

35. Connie on June 16, 2011 at 12:44 pm

What is the best way to store the blackberry pie bars? Do they need refrigeration or will they be okay wrapped on the counter?

Thanks!

• Michelle on June 16th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Hi Connie, Because the pie bar is custard-based, I would store it in the refrigerator. I actually thought that straight of the fridge, these made an excellent breakfast :)

• Connie on June 17th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I bet! I’m looking forward to making them for a 4th of July event. Thank you!!

36. BlondeBomber on November 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Looking at this list is making me drool. Those peanut butter and jelly bars looks scrumptious.

37. heather c on June 22, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Just made ur snickerdoodle blondies. They are fantastic! I love your recipes, never a bad one. Thanks!