Top 10 List: Favorite Main Dishes

Man cannot live on bread dessert alone. At least I guess we shouldn’t ;-)

As much as I love churning out cookies and sweet treats, I also need to eat “regular” food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don’t typically cook any type of complicated or gourmet meals; I lean much more toward a comfort and simple style of food. For this next installment of my Top 10 lists, I thought sharing some of my all-time favorite meals would be appreciated. I’m sure you all don’t eat dessert for three meals a day either ;-)  I hope you enjoy browsing through the foods that I enjoy cooking for myself; feel free to share your favorites as well!

1. Baked Macaroni and Cheese – My all-time favorite homemade macaroni and cheese – classic elbows in a cheesy homemade sauce, topped with crispy breadcrumbs.

2. Basic Pizza Dough – This is my go-to pizza crust; absolutely perfect – crispy on the bottom and chewy inside. I use it for everything from pepperoni pizza to portobello pesto pizza.

3. Cheesy Baked Ziti with Sausage – An Italian classic and one of my favorites for entertaining because it can be made ahead of time and is always a hit – lots of cheese and sausage! (helloooooo old photography!)

4. French Onion Soup – Better than I’ve ever had at a restaurant, one of my absolute favorite soups. Great for those chilly fall and winter evenings.

5. Grilled Fish Tacos – These are a newfound love for me, and the flavors in this recipes can’t be beat – so light and fresh, they’re a great summer meal.

6. Hearty Beef Stew – I make this at least a handful of times every fall and winter, the best stew recipe I have ever come across.

7. Italian Sausage, Red Pepper & Mushroom Risotto – My mom requests this every year for her birthday – so filling and delicious.

8. Soba Noodle Stir-Fry with Spicy Almond Butter Sauce – One of my new favorite vegetarian meals, it’s quick and easy and really filling.

9. Sweet and Sour Chicken – Tastes just like take-out (if not better) – the most popular main dish recipe among Brown Eyed Baker readers.

10. Thick and Hearty Chili – I love, love, love chili once the cooler weather hits, and I sop up every last bite of this with crusty bread. Mmm!

What’s your favorite weeknight dinner, or favorite Brown Eyed Baker meal?

24 Responses to “Top 10 List: Favorite Main Dishes”

1. Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking on July 11, 2011 at 1:22 am

All the photos look SO good! That chili is calling out to me, but I’m thinking I’ll have to make the Sausage, Pepper and Mushroom Risotto as it’s something we’ve never had before.
    Thanks for tomorrow night’s dinner, Michelle!

2. Katrina on July 11, 2011 at 4:05 am

All of these look so tasty. Great recipe!

3. Abby on July 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

I am now dying to try that sweet and sour chicken. I can see why it’s a top recipe if it tastes as good as the picture looks! The fish tacos are calling my name, as well.

4. Laura on July 11, 2011 at 8:00 am

I tend to be kind of lazy when it comes to week night dinners. I love throwing together a pizza with homemade dough or just grilled cheese with soup or salad. If I want to put in a little extra effort – barley or quinoa-stuffed peppers.

5. The Café Sucré Farine on July 11, 2011 at 8:32 am

I’m having a hard time knowing where to start here, these recipes all look fantastic! The Portobello Pesto pizza is making me drool! Thanks for this wonderful collection!

6. sherri lynn on July 11, 2011 at 9:02 am

I have a hard time finding new main dish recipes to try, because I get too distracted by all the delicious dessert recipes I find! I definitely am going to try this risotto and the sweet & sour chicken! They both look great!

7. Dede on July 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I made the Portabello Pesto pizza and it was to die for! We went to Sarasota for the weekend to visit our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter and this was a huge hit. My son was a little skeptical at first (no red sauce) until he took his first bite :- )
    Thanks for sharing…I love your website.

8. Lori @ RecipeGirl on July 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Soba noodles and sweet & sour chicken?? YUMMY! Loving some new dinner ideas here.

9. Maria on July 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Great round up! I now have a few new dinner ideas. Thanks!

10. Jenny Flake on July 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Great list of main dish dinners! I am officially starving :)

11. Samantha @ HecticGourmet on July 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm

What a great-looking list! My favorite weeknight meal is definitely pizza, because I can eat leftovers for lunch the next day and it definitely still tastes good reheated! I want to try your Sweet and Sour Chicken!

12. janet@fromcupcakestocaviar on July 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm

There was not one thing on that list that I wouldn’t happily gobble up :-D YUM! Sooooo buzzed this post!!

13. Emily Malloy @Cleanliness on July 11, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I’d have to agree with you! They would be my top 10, too!

14. Cookin' Canuck on July 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm

There are so many wonderful recipes on this list but, above all, I would love a big bowl of that risotto.

15. Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance on July 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Sooooo…
    I’m going to say that I have the next 10 meals that I’m cooking all planned out ;)

16. Mariah on July 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Its so hard to find a good beef stew recipe that doesn’t use tomatoes! Thanks for sharing it! I love some good homemade mexican, be it quesadillas, enchiladas, or even just tacos. A little heat and a little cheese, I’m good to go!

17. Lindsey @ Gluten-Free Lindsey on July 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm

these all look fantastic!! i love the idea of using almond butter to make a spicy stir fry sauce.. definitely trying that out soon!!

18. Tracy on July 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Mmm, you’ve reminded me that your sweet and sour chicken is on my list of things to try. ;-) Can’t wait!

19. Ann on July 11, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I love your list…if I was to add anything – it would be a big, chef salad!

20. Gen on July 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

I’m new to your blog, but all of these recipes look fabulous!! Can’t wait to check out some more!

21. Christine on July 13, 2011 at 7:54 am

Well that’s a whole lot of deliciousness in one post! I’m soo drooling at all the pics hehe

22. Skylar on July 13, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Makes me hungry, I love mac and cheese (not to mention all the other things on the list)

23. Rescie on August 1, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Love, love your recipes. I found you on Foodbuzz, went on the ‘steal’ a couple of your Top Ten Sides recipes and now I’m working your Top 10 Main Dish Dinner recipes. I favor Asian dishes so you have two that I’m particularly dying to try. I adore baked beans and made your Barbecued Baked Beans and your Best Potato Salad last night and not a bit was left.

24. Kai Morton on September 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm

These are the best recipes in the world i always had to go through the struggle of how i am going to entertain family ,guest and my kids friends but this website here help with all my problems
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!