Top 10 List: Favorite Yeast Bread Recipes

I’m finishing up my Top 10 series with all of my favorite yeast breads. This was a particularly hard category to narrow down because making homemade yeast bread is one of the most relaxing and satisfying things for me in the kitchen. I love the smell of the yeasted dough, how it feels in my hands while I knead it, seeing it raise, watching it puff in the oven, and then slicing through a crust, through a wonderful crumb, and taking that first warm bite. I love everything about the process, and could easily eat all of these over and over again. I did narrow it down, since this is a Top 10 list after all! I hope you enjoy my favorites, and take the time to explore the rest of my yeast breads on the site.

1. American Sandwich Bread – This is the ultimate homemade white bread – perfect for your favorite sandwiches and breakfast toast.

2. Bagels – Bagels are one of my all-time favorite treats to make at home. To date, I have made plain bagels, blueberry bagels (pictured below), cinnamon-raisin bagels, Asiago bagels and everything bagels.

3. Chocolate Babka – Absolutely sinful, a great breakfast (or dessert) treat around the holidays!

4. Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread – This is ah-mazing bread – cinnamon-spiked dough with swirls of raisins and walnuts. It’s an incredible breakfast bread.

5. English Muffins – Much like bagels, English muffins are an awesome store-bought item to make at home. They aren’t too difficult, and a million times better than anything you’ll buy!

6. Honey-Oatmeal Sandwich Bread – This runs a close second to the American Sandwich Bread in terms of favorite breads. It also makes a fabulous sandwich bread – soft and light but full of flavor!

7. Italian Bread – An amazing loaf of Italian bread! It has a hard crust and a melt-in-your-mouth soft crumb. It’s a perfect bread to make on a lazy Sunday along with some spaghetti and meatballs.

8. Potato Rosemary Bread – This one ranks up there in the top 3 for me – so much flavor and such a wonderfully light crumb. This is a great one to make around Thanksgiving for leftover turkey sandwiches!

9. Soft Cheese and Pepperoni Bread – Pepperoni bread is one of my absolute favorite things in the world. My grandma would make them all the time… she used Rhodes frozen bread dough (still delicious!), but this is a great from-scratch alternative.

10. Sweet Dinner Rolls – This is one of the oldest recipes on the blog, and they are still my favorite dinner roll recipe. I love eating them alongside some hearty beef stew!

What are some of your favorite bread recipes? Feel free to include links if you’d like!

33 Responses to “Top 10 List: Favorite Yeast Bread Recipes”

1. Jen of My Tiny Oven on August 8, 2011 at 12:43 am

Bread is my life… I will take any or all of these right now!

2. Katrina on August 8, 2011 at 12:51 am

I need to try the bagels and english muffins. Yum!

3. Sasha (The Procrastobaker) on August 8, 2011 at 3:54 am

Oh you know how much i love your top 10′s, it saddens me this is the last but what a GREAT collection to go out on, truly so many of them I would love to try out. That chocolate babka and cinnamon raisin walnut bread are especialy appealing to my sweet tooth :) lovely!

(ps i made your hidden berry cream cheese torte yesterday, i will comment on it with a link to my post when its up incase you fancy a look, jus to say ITS AMAZING! truly scrumptious :) thank you!)

4. Lisa Maria on August 8, 2011 at 6:51 am

Oooh.. these look so good and this is so timely for me because I just made the decision that come what may I need to start making my own bread again. Just last night I made some Garlic Cheese Bread.. one loaf disappeared as it came out of the oven. Nothing like bread fresh out of the oven!

Thank you so much. I’ll have to send you the recipe because its written into one of my notebooks. Will get back to you with that one.

5. Becca on August 8, 2011 at 7:55 am

I’ve never tasted chocolate babka bread… Come to think of it, maybe I’ve been hiding under a rock for the past 40-something years, because I’ve never even heard of it! Well, thanks to you, that’s about to change… This looks to die for!

6. Barbara Bakes on August 8, 2011 at 8:49 am

I’d love to have a slice of each!

7. annie on August 8, 2011 at 9:44 am

I’m loving all the top 10 lists. There are so many recipes that I’ve forgotten or missed. It’s given me the opportunity to bookmark some incredible recipes. Thanks Michelle.

8. Lori Lange on August 8, 2011 at 9:57 am

I need to make that sandwich bread… and I’ve always wanted to make English Muffins!

9. Heather S on August 8, 2011 at 11:49 am

They all look delicious! I have finally conquered my fears of baking yeasted breads and love it!

I love making french bread rolls: http://joinuspullupachair.blogspot.com/2010/12/french-bread-rolls.html

10. CouponClippingCook on August 8, 2011 at 11:51 am

All of these recipes look delicious. Bread makes the house smell so good when it’s cooking.

11. Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} on August 8, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Another great recipe roundup! That babka is especially catching my eye, what is that like anyway?!

• Michelle on August 8th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

It is heaven! Light and fluffy sweet bread with swirls and swirls of chocolate filling. Decadent and delicious!

12. Paula Jo @ Home and Garden Decor on August 8, 2011 at 1:08 pm

All of those breads look delicious. I love to make homemade breads, and just last week I made some homemade cinnamon rolls. The aroma in the house is just out of this world.

13. NanaBread on August 8, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Gah! I had to immediately print out the English Muffin recipe. I’ve been craving them lately. And while I was here, I figured I might as well print off the sweet dinner rolls recipe, too. Yet another one of my bread-based weaknesses.

14. DessertForTwo on August 8, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I’ve never had babka. I can imagine yeast + chocolate is life-changing though. Gotta make that!

15. Lottrup on August 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm

They truly look delicios.
    I am missing some bread with out yeast. Does anyone know some good recipies?

16. Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) on August 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Great line up! My fave are the english muffins. There just something so satisfying about “baking” bread on a griddle!

17. The Culinary Lens on August 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm

This is such an impressive top ten. I have little experience beyond pizza dough when it comes to working with yeast. Something I should really explore

18. janet@fromcupcakestocaviar on August 8, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Great looking top ten. I love to bake bread but don’t do it as often as I’d like. This round up of recipes makes me want to again; especially the chocolate babka. YUM!!

19. Ann on August 8, 2011 at 8:06 pm

What a list….I have drool all over my computer!

20. Ally on August 8, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Chocolate Babka is on my to-do list! x

21. Lisa Maria on August 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Hi, these breads were so awesome I just had to share a link to them on my blog. Here is the Garlic Cheese Bread recipe I promised you..http://shinebrightlyforjesus.blogspot.com/2011/08/garlic-cheese-bread.html

Thank you again for these awesome recipes!

God bless!

22. zeba islam on November 1, 2012 at 6:01 am

I want the recipe of all top 10 list of yeast bread immediately. Iliked them very much and want to make it in home for my family please send me the same .

• Michelle on November 1st, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Just click on the link for each recipe and you will be taken to the recipe page.

23. julie on November 6, 2012 at 3:13 pm

They all look great!…..One of my all-time favorites is Yeast Raised Irish Soda Bread (minus the suggested caraway seeds). I originally found it in a Fleichmann’s yeast cookbook, but is also found here:
    It also makes lovely, soft dinner rolls. Sometimes I’ll throw pecans into the dough, along with the raisins…..When baking as loaves, I recently started shaping it for bread pans instead of on a flat sheet. I like the extra height it gives the loaf.

24. Jenn on February 4, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Although this is not a recent post, I am thankful for it! Lots of recipes to try! Thank you! :-)

25. ir thermometer on August 16, 2013 at 5:43 am

When I initially commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I recieve four emails with the same comment.
    Is there a means you are able to remove me from that service?
    Many thanks!

26. Guadalupe on September 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Hurrah! At last I got a weblog from where I be capable of actually take useful facts concerning my study and
    knowledge.

27. Derrick Brewer on October 20, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Love these recipes. Will be trying them myself. Here is a recipe for French Bread that I made today and it turned out awesome. My advice would be to let it sit for 2 hours after rolled into the loaf. Mine did not rise completely.

28. breville mixer on October 23, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your postss as long as I
    providecredit and sources back to your blog? My website is in the very same area oof interest
    as yours and my visitors would really benefit from some of
    the information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you.
    Regards!

29. Jennie on December 15, 2013 at 6:26 am

Kеeρ on working, greаtt ϳob!

30. Yvonne (Bread Fun) on March 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I am a great Bread Love. I just died and went to Bread Heaven. AWESOME!!!!!