Homemade Pineapple Ice Cream Topping

The celebration of ice cream continues this week! After sharing my favorite ice cream recipes, then a strawberry ice cream topping, I’m rolling out a fabulous homemade pineapple topping. Pineapple isn’t one of the most common sundae toppings (at least, not in my little corner of the world, a.k.a. “the bubble”), but everyone knows that pineapple topping is an absolute must when it comes to making a killer banana split. I have seen some store-bought versions in the store before, but unfortunately, just as in the case with the strawberry toppings, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup are two of the first three ingredients. When it takes less time to make something homemade than it takes to go to the store and buy it, I’m sold each and every time.

This topping is crazy easy to make – it only involves four ingredients and you can have the whole project completed in less than 30 minutes… prep, cook and cleanup included. Fresh pineapple is chopped up and combined with some lemon juice, brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon, and then cooked down until the liquid is thickened slightly and reduced to a syrup consistency. The result is a chunky sauce that’s a little tart, a little sweet and a little spicy. In other words, it’s utterly perfect. The ideal topping for a cold, smooth and creamy bowl of vanilla ice cream. Summer just got a little sassier!

(Psst… did you notice that I’ve already made hot fudge, and this week we’ve crossed off strawberry and pineapple toppings? You definitely want to check back for what I have in store for tomorrow! :))

One year ago: S’mores Cupcakes

Ingredients:

2 cups finely chopped fresh pineapple
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
Pinch ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. Combine the pineapple, lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.

2. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the juice is reduced, 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly before using. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

(Recipe adapted from Food Network)

13 Responses to “Homemade Pineapple Ice Cream Topping”

1. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on July 11, 2012 at 1:11 am

Yum – keep the ice cream toppings coming! This looks so delicious and easy…

2. Athena R on July 11, 2012 at 8:00 am

This looks great! Can’t wait to try this in some Greek yogurt too.

3. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on July 11, 2012 at 9:59 am

I love how easy this is! No more excuses for using the store bought stuff! :)

4. Jane Starling on July 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

This looks amazing & it just so happens I have some pineapple that needs using up. This looks like the perfect thing to do with it!

5. Riley on July 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

I thought that strawberry sauce looked good! I love that this is kind of chunky and not a smooth sauce! This is a must make.

6. Pat on July 11, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Very delightful recipe. Love ice-cream with different toppings.
    This looks delicious.

7. Michael @ BlueberryChuckle on July 11, 2012 at 9:01 pm

You’re timing is impeccable. My pineapple is ripe and ready to be cut. Here’s the first recipe I make!

8. Joy on July 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Great recipe. Thank you for sharing. I never thought of making my own pineapple topping. I have a feeling I will like it better then the stuff at the ice cream stores.

9. Maja on July 14, 2012 at 7:39 am

Just bought a pineapple and after reading this recipe I know what to do with it! Can’t wait to try it.

10. Ramona Collins on July 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Michelle, thank you so much for sharing this delicious ice cream topper! The pineapple is a perfect addition to just about anything during these hot summer months. Please, keep the fabulous recipes coming! – Ramona from Sam’s Club

11. Tracy on August 7, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Looks great. I can’t wait to try. Can you tell me how long this pineapple topping should last in the refrigerator?

• Michelle on August 9th, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hi Tracy, I’d say you could keep it for 1 to 2 weeks.

12. Elie on July 17, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I made this last night! It was sooo good and I’m usually not a fan of pineapple on ice cream. We had a pineapple that was getting overripe and I didn’t want to throw it out. I came across this recipe which saved our super ripe pineapple and put it to yummy use. I ended up using fresh lemon juice from our juicer because our local store only offered imitation lemon juice (nasty!) and I used raw honey in place of the brown sugar. I doubled the recipe because our pineapple ended up yielding just about 4 cups. This will be my “go to” recipe from now on, it was so delicious!