Rocky Road Chocolate Bark

It’s likely that for most people, rocky road was an ice cream flavor that was introduced early and loved often. I am the exception to the rule. Never once did I have rocky road ice cream growing up. Maybe it was due to our family’s love of soft serve vs. “regular” ice cream, or maybe because I overwhelmingly preferred vanilla ice cream to chocolate. Whatever the case, rocky road never made it onto my radar until I was in my late 20′s. This is shaping up like a Greek tragedy, isn’t it? Don’t worry, it has a happy ending! Almost four years ago, I made my very first trek to visit my Chief Culinary Consultant. One of the first things I noticed was that if you looked out the living room window of his apartment, directly across the street, lit up in all of its neon-sign glory, was Marble Slab. Ice cream heaven within walking distance?! This was downright magical. We made the most of that walk across the street many, many, many times. Summer, spring, fall or winter, it didn’t matter. We ran across one cold night in the middle of January during halftime of a Steelers playoff game. They went on to win that game, and then the Super Bowl a few weeks later. I think it was the ice cream magic. My Chief Culinary Consultant’s favorite concoction there was the rocky road. He almost died when I said I’d never had it, so he insisted I try it. It was a mixture of incredibly rich chocolate ice cream, tons of mini marshmallows, chunks of walnuts and chocolate chips. I was in love. I can’t even tell you how many waffle bowls of rocky road ice cream we demolished over the course of a few years, but the number is sizable. As is the number of white shirts that now bear chocolate ice cream stains (oops).

The thing is, the amazing deliciousness that is rocky road should not be confined to ice cream alone. It has so much potential.

You’ve probably figured out by now that I have a serious thing for chocolate bark. It started many, many years ago when I began making a simple peppermint bark for the holidays and has blossomed into “what other flavor combinations can I turn into chocolate bark?!” I’ve done pistachio and cranberry, toffee pretzel, salted caramel cashew, and even one with leftover Halloween candy. Even though I’ve eaten it all year round, rocky road definitely makes me think of summer. Maybe it’s the combination of marshmallows and chocolate, which I naturally associate with s’mores. Something made a light bulb go off this week, connecting rocky road and chocolate bark. Isn’t it beautiful how food ideas can come together?!

Now, since my first foray into rocky road included walnuts, I naturally assumed that was the norm for rocky road. Then all of a sudden, I started seeing the ice cream at the store and almost all of it had almonds in it. Which was right?! My foodie head hurt. One quick trip to Wikipedia and it was all sorted out… apparently William Dreyer (one-half of the original partnership behind what is now Edy’s ice cream) used his wife’s sewing scissors to cut up walnuts and marshmallows and added them to his chocolate ice cream. Later, the walnuts would be replaced by almonds.

So, there you have it! Walnuts or almonds, it’s up to you! Or maybe you prefer peanuts? Throw those in! The only rule I have, which I feel very strongly about when making any kind of bark, is to use the absolute best chocolate you can find/afford. With such a pronounced amount of chocolate, you want the good stuff !

One year ago: Jalapeño Popper Dip
Two years ago: How to Make Perfect Homemade Popcorn
Three years ago: The Signature Salad
Four years ago: Black-and-White Banana Loaf

Rocky Road Chocolate Bark

Yield: About 1 pound of bark

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

16 ounces good-quality milk or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Directions:

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler (or in 30-second intervals in the microwave on 50% power, stirring after each). Once the chocolate is melted, remove from the heat and let sit for a few minutes to cool slightly, stirring occasionally. Add the marshmallows and walnuts and stir to combine.

3. Spread the chocolate mixture onto the prepared pan in an even layer, covering about a 7x7-inch space. It doesn't have to be perfect, but that's a good guideline.

4. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until set.

5. Using a sharp knife, cut the bark into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Note: I recommend Ghiradelli or Lindt chocolate.

34 Responses to “Rocky Road Chocolate Bark”

1. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on August 3, 2012 at 12:56 am

Ghiradell is the best chocolate..gotta use the good stuff! I’m with you on strongly preferring vanilla to chocolate ice cream.

2. Karina on August 3, 2012 at 12:57 am

I watch Masterchef Australia and the episode I watched today they made Rocky Road.. I was expecting ice cream but it turns out.. their version is completely just a bark kind of like this.. or something a little more involved.
    Also, I found this picture and explanation on Wiki!

3. Lizzi on August 3, 2012 at 1:32 am

This is so bizarre to me – I live in Australia, where rocky road as an ice cream flavour is a totally weird and new occurrence, occasionally made by more ‘up market’/’trendy’ ice cream brands. A big part of this is probably due to Darrell Lea and their ‘Rocklea Road’, which is pretty much a staple food.

Anyway, I’m the biggest rocky road freak, and my main contribution to society is the ridiculous number of varieties I make for every event/birthday/celebration/whatever.
    Some of my favourite types I made: tropical (white choc, marshmallows, coconut, macadamia nuts, dried pineapple), snack-fest (potato chips, spicy nuts, gummi bears, choc chip cookies, caramel popcorn), two christmas versions (one was mostly christmas cake type ingredients.. almost rum & raisin flavoured. The other had crushed candy canes + red and green m&ms), and “the breakfast edition” – milk chocolate base + dark choc coated coffee beans + marshmallows + vienna almonds + candied bacon + white choc drizzle. Toootally excessive/totally awesome.

Moral of the story: mix chocolate with a bunch of stuff and your life will kick ass.

4. Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana on August 3, 2012 at 3:20 am

I love the cutaway shot with those puffy marshmallows…only 3 ingredients, and yet so amazing!

5. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on August 3, 2012 at 8:14 am

This is so simple! Rocky Road and Heavenly Hash used to be my favorite ice cream. I haven’t had rocky road anything since I was a kid, I must make this bark!!

6. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet on August 3, 2012 at 10:01 am

Looove this bark! We are big fans of rocky road ice cream so this bark will be huge hit here. Thanks, Michelle!

7. Kristy on August 3, 2012 at 10:09 am

Mmmm, this looks so delicious!!

just-another-day1.blogspot.ca

8. Jessica on August 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

Looks Delish!

9. ally on August 3, 2012 at 11:57 am

what a brilliant potluck or any occasion treat!!
    xo

10. Susan Sunde on August 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Could you replace the nuts with bits of Graham Crackers and have S’mores Bark?

• Michelle on August 3rd, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Absolutely! Yum!

11. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on August 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Rocky road in easy to make chocolate bark?! Please!

12. Emily @ www.main-eats.com on August 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Oh my goodness…I’m going to need some of that! It looks great!!! It would make for a perfect hostess gift!

13. natalie@thesweetslife on August 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

the nut doesn’t matter to me, so long as chocolate and marshmallow are present! delish!

14. Kristall on August 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I grew up knowing Rocky Road as being a type of fudgey sqaure candy similar to bark but with sweetened condensed milk mixed with the chocolate and peanuts rather than the (sore inducing) walnuts. I thought Rocky Road ice cream was a major let down after having made the fudge for eons. Such a disappointment!

• Michelle on August 3rd, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Oooh, now I feel like I need to make that! Sounds delicious with the sweetened condensed milk and peanuts!

15. Aubri on August 3, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I started making rocky road candies years ago, and it’s soooo yummy! I always roast whole almonds to give them a little more flavor, and then chop them up before adding to the chocolate. Also, it’s easy to spoon the melted chocolate mixture into little candy cups (like a small muffin papers) and have individual rocky roads. I also sprinkle the tops with a little of the chopped almonds to make it pretty. Your pictures look delicious!

16. Rebecca on August 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Followed a really similar recipe a few months ago on http://www.biggirlssmallkitchen.com! Great party idea!

17. Lizzy on August 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm

My family makes this at Christmas, so it has a different seasonal connotation for me. I’ve never heard of using almonds, I’ll totally have to try it!

18. Maria on August 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I could eat at least a pound of this bark!

19. Naomi on August 3, 2012 at 10:19 pm

You had me at Rocky Road then you paired with bark. I’m so there! Great recipe! :)

20. Charlotte on August 4, 2012 at 8:38 am

I read your comment about Marble Slab and then about the Steelers. I figured you were from Pittsburgh. When I was a kid and had to go visit my grandmother every summer in Pittsburgh, my favorite ice cream parlor there was Isaly’s. That was when they made real ice cream and not just Klondikes. They wer the best. I plan to try this recipe for my son’s 16th birthday. The usual request is fudge, so this will be a change.

21. Tara on August 4, 2012 at 9:37 am

We’ve made this at home before, but using cashews instead. Yummy! Homemade candies are the best and your looks delicous, as always:)

22. eloise on August 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm

just wandering what size baking dish you used. 1/4 sheet? 1/2 sheet?

• Michelle on August 9th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Hi Eloise, I used a regular cookie sheet that I lined with parchment paper. I didn’t use the entire surface area, as I said in the recipe, about a 7-inch square area.

23. Riley on August 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Believe it or not, I’ve never had rocky road ice cream. This, however, I will definitely be trying!

24. Amanda on August 4, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Ohhhh how fabulous! This would be so awesome for Christmas and Valentine’s too, pinning to try later!

25. Sues on August 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm

These look SO SO incredible. I didn’t like Rocky Road growing up because I didn’t like nuts…But now I love them!

26. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking on August 5, 2012 at 10:34 pm

i’m one of the few people that didn’t had rocky road ice-cream until 30′s, mainly because we didn’t have it in Romania.
    I love the idea of rocky road bark, makes it easy to just grab and go enjoying it on the road.

27. shelly (cookies and cups) on August 6, 2012 at 8:23 am

This is my kinda food! Pinned!!

28. Jen @ Savory Simple on August 6, 2012 at 8:39 am

I would devour all of this! Delicious.

29. Rich Stevens on August 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Wow these are just delicious and it’s something I could actually get the kids to help me make without complaining. We eat fairly healthy so when it’s time for the sweet treats we don’t hold back :)

Great recipe and easy to make!

30. Rebecca on April 28, 2013 at 5:05 am

This is actually the traditional way of preparing rocky road in countries such as Australia and the UK (though we don’t call it bark). Add cherries and it is AMAZING. :D

31. River on November 7, 2013 at 10:19 am

I made this bark and loved it! I was silly enough to buy large marshmallows and chop them into little pieces for this recipe – never again! Sticky little devils! Thanks for sharing! I blogged about them here: http://www.wingitvegan.com/2013/11/rocky-road-chocolate-bark.html