Chocolate Italian Cream Soda

Italian Cream Soda Recipe by Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

This past weekend was rolling right along… we celebrated my grandpap’s birthday on Saturday, and on Sunday my Chief Culinary Consultant’s parents came over because his dad was helping him with some garage projects. While they guys were working in the garage, his mom and I put together a recipe she had brought over for stuffed chicken breasts. We were getting ready to eat and I was cutting the twine off the chicken breasts. I was on the last one when an ominous slip of the hand sent me to MedExpress faster than you can say “ouch”. Five stitches and a tetanus shot later, I was back home.

Needless to say, absolutely nothing happened in my kitchen yesterday, but my awesome Chief Culinary Consultant ran to the grocery store to pick up a few things, including ingredients to make chocolate-flavored Italian cream sodas. They were the perfect little pick-me-up I needed after a long day of doing nothing but sitting on the couch with my laptop, watching Wimbledon, Barefoot Contessa and flipping through magazines.

I love how easy these sodas are to make; if you have 5 minutes, you can stir up one of these bad boys! The best part is the flavor possibilities are pretty much endless. Torani sells dozens of different flavors of syrup, and you could even use your own homemade syrups. I, however, was definitely in need of a chocolate fix!

Here’s how to make them:

Take a glass filled with ice and pour in your club soda…

Italian Cream Soda Recipe by Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

Then drizzle in the chocolate syrup…

Italian Cream Soda Recipe by Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

Then the half-and-half. I love how the white swirls in there!

Italian Cream Soda Recipe by Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

Stir it up and sip away!

Italian Cream Soda Recipe by Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

This tastes like a bubbly chocolate milk, which means that the kid in you is going to absolutely love it!

It’s the perfect drink to share with someone who has taken such good care of you for the last couple of days, and who even helped pull your hair into a ponytail. ♥

Italian Cream Soda Recipe by Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

One year ago: S’mores Ice Cream
Two years ago: Dried Apricot-Pistachio Ice Cream

Chocolate Italian Cream Soda

Yield: 1 drink

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

An easy recipe for Chocolate Italian Cream Soda.

Ingredients:

Ice
½ cup club soda
3 tablespoons Torani chocolate syrup (or flavor of your choice)
2 tablespoons half-and-half
Whipped cream for topping (optional)

Directions:

1. Fill a glass three-quarters full of ice.

2. Pour the club soda into the glass, followed by the chocolate syrup and the half-and-half. Stir it up, top with whipped cream if you'd like, and enjoy!

46 Responses to “Chocolate Italian Cream Soda”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks on June 25, 2013 at 12:14 am

Ugh so sorry to hear about your mishap in the kitchen. Glad to hear you’re okay now but I know how painful, throbby and awful hand injuries and cuts are. Take care of yourself, Michelle!

2. Marcie @ flavor the moments on June 25, 2013 at 12:31 am

So sorry to hear about your finger, Michelle. I wish you a very speedy recovery!

3. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on June 25, 2013 at 12:32 am

Sorry to hear about your finger, hope you are feeling better!

This soda looks great.. so easy, I have to try it!

4. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com on June 25, 2013 at 2:19 am

Ouch! So sorry about the injury — hope it’s healing up nicely. Take care, Michelle.
    Love this ice cream soda recipe. So delish and easy!

5. Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box on June 25, 2013 at 3:22 am

Sounds amazing! I can tell how thick it’s going to be just from looking :)

6. Jamie @lifelovelemons on June 25, 2013 at 6:02 am

I can get on board with this

7. Tieghan on June 25, 2013 at 6:27 am

So sorry to hear about your hand! At least you got to drink this awesome soda!! I love the chocolate favor and how easy it!

8. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on June 25, 2013 at 6:43 am

Eck, so sorry about your finger! :( But your Italian Cream Soda looks amazing!!!

9. Diana on June 25, 2013 at 7:07 am

Ouch! Heal up quick!! BTW I have never had this drink – looks like I need to try it…Yum!! Thank you for posting this even when injured!

10. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat on June 25, 2013 at 7:22 am

Ouch…that stinks! Love the cream soda though!

11. Lori on June 25, 2013 at 8:00 am

Michelle, Sorry to hear about your mishap. I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for posting this delicious, quick treat!

12. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on June 25, 2013 at 8:12 am

Yum! I had one of these a looooong time ago, and LOVE that you posted the recipe for it! What a fabulous drink!

13. Dawn McPherson on June 25, 2013 at 8:14 am

feel better Michelle~ ps Love the part when you said he helped you put your
    hair in a ponytail… Awe

14. Jenna on June 25, 2013 at 8:24 am

looks good! I want to try it , but do you know if Hershey’s chocolate syrup would work? ..sorry to hear about a painful injury, I hope your better now
    Thanks again :)

• Carmel on June 25th, 2013 at 11:02 am

This is an “egg cream” that has been around forever…definitely better with Hershey’s syrup! Should almost look like a milkshake. You can make a low-cal one with Lite Hershey’s or for low-carb, find sugar-free syrup…and use a nice helping of whipped cream on top!

• Michelle on June 25th, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Hi Jenna, I think Hershey’s syrup would work!

15. vicky tavares on June 25, 2013 at 8:33 am

sorry to hear about your accident………… glad you’re doing well. Thanks for posting this recipe !!!

16. marie @ little kitchie on June 25, 2013 at 8:46 am

Sorry to hear about your kitchen accident! Hope you’re better! This drink looks delicious!

17. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet on June 25, 2013 at 8:59 am

Oh gosh! Hope you are feeling better today! This drink would definitely cheer me up!

18. Mary Ann on June 25, 2013 at 9:29 am

These look great, and so easy! And when I pinned it… it SAID Brown Eyed Baker!!! YAYYYYY!

19. Cookin Canuck on June 25, 2013 at 9:49 am

Ugh, I’m so sorry to hear about your kitchen mishap! I’ll be that Italian soda made you feel better!

20. ashley - baker by nature on June 25, 2013 at 10:01 am

We grew up drinking Italian cream sodas and now that I see them here, I know I need to make one asap! Wishing you a quick recovery for that finger :) xo

21. Erin F. on June 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

Oh man, sorry about your injury!! Being in the kitchen is dangerous work!! ;) Feel better!! This drink looks delicious, and since I just bought a bottle of club soda the other day I might just have to try it. I only have caramel syrup on hand at the moment, so I will give that a try.

22. sarita on June 25, 2013 at 10:53 am

Looks great, It’s basically an Italian egg cream! Been drinking these since I was a kid here in NYC, but with regular chocolate syrup and milk instead of the half & half. will have to give it try

23. Birdy& Bambi on June 25, 2013 at 10:56 am

This looks really adorable!

Greetings from Europe from a fellow brown eyed baker!

Bambi

24. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on June 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I hope your finger feels better soon!! I’ll have to give this one a try!

25. Jamie @ BHV on June 25, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Glad to hear you came out okay with kitchen accident. But that ice cream soda is so worth it and might try to do that recipe this weekend.

26. David at From Ballparks to BBQ on June 25, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I’m looking forward to trying this out!

27. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious on June 25, 2013 at 4:39 pm

These are so fun! My niece and nephews would LOVE THEM!

28. The Bearfoot Baker on June 25, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I am so sorry! OUCH is right! You poor thing. I am glad you had a chocolate Italian cream soda to comfort you! Thanks for sharing and hope you get better soon.

29. Nessa on June 25, 2013 at 6:42 pm

So sorry! Hope it all heals well :)
    This soda looks terrific!

30. Courtney@BakeMeBetter on June 25, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Hope you heal quickly! I would love one of these drinks right now as I sit in front of the fan trying to get the humidity to go away.

31. Melanie on June 25, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I see all those chocolate, peanut butter and marshmallow pins … Thanks for the craving… ;o)

32. Kristi on June 25, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Ummm… Yum! I can’t believe how easy it is and how good it looks.

33. Tracey on June 26, 2013 at 9:56 am

Awww, glad you’re being so well tended to :) Shane would absolutely love these sodas, I’m going to need to grab the ingredients to make them for him soon!

34. Kelly on June 26, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Looks yummy. Will have to run to World Market to pick up some flavored syrups. Hope your finger is feeling better!

35. Laura Dembowski on June 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Such a bummer that you hurt your finger. I hope it’s all better very soon. These sodas should get you on your way to recovery :)

36. Alley @ Alley's Recipe Book on June 26, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Oh no! I guess it is inevitable, the more time you spend in the kitchen, the more likely you’ll end up at urgent care. My injury involved a mandolin (my fingerprint will never be the same). Oh… and a burnt palm… but didn’t go to urgent care for that one.

Can you use regular chocolate syrup (like Hershey’s) for this drink… or does it need to be thinner like the coffee syrups?

• Michelle on June 27th, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Hi Alley, I think you could use regular Hershey’s syrup for this. It’ll just be a little thicker (never a bad thing!).

37. Mary on June 26, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I grew up and live in New York. My parents are from Brooklyn. We were raised with egg creams, which my mother Always made with Fox’s U-bet syrup based on the recipe from Junior’s (best cheesecake ever). Not sure if U-bet is a available around the country but any syrup could work in a pinch. You can google the recipe or try this link http://www.oprah.com/food/Juniors-Egg-Creams.

38. AnnMarie on June 27, 2013 at 7:28 am

My husband is from NY City and grew up with egg creams and that is how I know this drink. SO GOOD but you have to get the right amounts together. They don’t work in really hot weather as we found out when we tried to serve them at an outdoor picnic….everything deflated!!

39. AndreaL on June 27, 2013 at 9:24 am

This recipe takes back to my italian mom. You continue to amaze me with your memories.
    Sorry to hear about your injury. I sliced the top of my thumb off a few years ago using a mandolin. I was so sick from the tetanus shot on top of being in a great deal of pain. To this day, I cannot still look at a mandolin or watch anyone use one on TV. Get better soon & keep off your hand…lol

40. Brenda on June 28, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I saw this post and had to go make it right away. I used lemon-lime soda instead of club soda. I also used my homemade raspberry syrup instead of chocolate. OH YUM!

41. Tresa on June 29, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Ohhhhh So sorry for your accident! I wish I could count..the number of times, I get a new Cutco knife…and the FIRST thing I do…is take a nice “hunk” out of a finger….and sit for HOURS holding pressure till I get the bleeding under control!! No matter how hard I try..gotta break em in! Thanks for all the fabulous recipes!!

42. Chocolate Italian Cream Soda on September 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm

what is half and half? Could you tell me?

• Michelle on October 3rd, 2013 at 1:08 pm

It is quite simply half whole milk and half heavy cream; half-and-half is a product sold in the U.S.