DIY: How To Make Fresh Pasta

DIY: How To Make Homemade Pasta :: A step-by-step tutorial with pictures | browneyedbaker.com #recipe #DIY

While my grandma never, ever used store-bought spaghetti sauce (seriously, those brand names were like swear words to her), it wasn’t unusual to see boxes of pasta at her house. However, those Sundays when we strolled in after church and caught a glimpse of her countertops completely covered in towel-lined baking sheets, nests of fresh pasta sitting on top, were certainly extra-special.

I made fresh pasta once before for fettuccine alfredo, and can’t believe that’s it’s been almost SIX years since I did it! I was definitely way overdue for busting out the pasta rollers.┬áTruth be told, homemade pasta is not difficult at all, and it only involves two ingredients! You can use an old school hand-crank pasta machine (I’ve used one in the past, both at my grandma’s, and the first time I made pasta on my own), or if you have a KitchenAid, you can use their pasta roller attachment, which is what I used here.

I have seen people use mixers for making the dough, but I do it the way I remember seeing my grandma make it on her big dough board – a big mound of flour, then creating a well in the middle, cracking the eggs into there, and mixing it all up. That method served her well her entire life, so I went with the whole “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it” mantra.

Yesterday, we made a phenomenal meat sauce, and today we’re tackling fresh pasta. I promise that tomorrow is going to be fan-freaking-tastic!

Now, let’s get this homemade pasta party started!

One year ago: How to Make Rye Sour Starter
Two years ago: New Orleans Beignets
Three years ago: Chocolate Malted Whopper Cookies

DIY: How to Make Fresh Pasta

Yield: 1 pound of pasta

Total Time: 45 minutes

A step-by-step tutorial for making homemade fresh pasta.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 eggs

Directions:

1. Place the flour on a clean work surface, gathering it into a mound. Make a well in the center.

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

2. Crack the eggs into the center of the mound:

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

Using a fork, lightly beat the eggs until they are completely broken up.

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

Working from the inside of the mound, start to incorporate flour into the eggs, taking a little at a time, maintaining the "walls" of the mound for as long as possible.

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

3. Once all of the flour has been incorporated into the eggs, the mixture will be very rough and shaggy.

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

Begin working the mixture with your hands and knead the dough, just as you would bread dough, until the dough is smooth and elastic, which can take up to 10 minutes.

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

4. Cover the dough with a piece of plastic wrap and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes, or up to 2 hours.

5. If you are making the dough for filled pasta (like ravioli or tortellini) or lasagna, cut the dough into four equal pieces (shown here). If you are making the dough for noodles, cut the dough into eight equal pieces.

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

6. Work with one piece of dough at a time (keep the others covered with plastic wrap so they do not dry out). Flatten the dough into an oblong shape and pass through the pasta machine on the widest setting (usually 1).

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

7. Dust the dough lightly with flour, then fold the dough into thirds.

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta

Pass through the pasta machine's widest setting again, feeding the open side of the dough through first. Pass the dough through again once more, for a total of three times.

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.comDIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

8. Lightly flour the dough if it is sticky, and adjust the setting to the next level (number 2), and pass the dough through two times.

9. Continue to roll the pasta thinner by passing it through the machine repeatedly, using a narrower setting for each pass going forward. If you are making filled pasta (ravioli or tortellini), you should end on the thinnest setting. For lasagna or noodles, end on the next-to-thinnest setting.

DIY: How to Make Homemade Pasta | browneyedbaker.com

10. Lay the sheets of pasta on a clean dish towel dusted lightly with flour. If you will be using the sheets for lasagna or filled pasta immediately, cover the pasta with another damp dish towel to keep from drying out. If you will be cutting the pasta into noodles, do not cover and allow to sit until only slightly tacky, 10 to 15 minutes. At this point, you can use a fettuccine or spaghetti attachment on the pasta machine and run each sheet through, creating noodles. If you prefer wide noodles, you can cut pappardelle (¾ to 1 inch wide) and tagliatelle (¼ to ⅜ inch wide).

11. Immediately transfer the noodles to a baking sheet lined with a clean dish towel, separating individual strands as best you can. If planning to cook immediately, cover the noodles with a damp dish towel so that they do not dry out. If you would like to store the pasta for future use, gather several strands as you cut the pasta and curl them into nests. Allow them to dry on the clean, flour-dusted kitchen towel for 24 hours. After they are completely dry, they can be stacked in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Filled pasta, such as ravioli and tortellini, can be placed in a single layer on a baking sheet to freeze. Once completely frozen, they should be transferred to a resealable freezer bag and can be kept in the freezer for up to 1 month.

31 Responses to “DIY: How To Make Fresh Pasta”

1. Christina @ The Beautiful Balance on February 18, 2014 at 12:47 am

I love how easy you make this look. I need to purchase the attachment for my mixer so that I don’t have to roll out the pasta sheets by hand

2. Nicole @ Mediterranean Baby on February 18, 2014 at 1:02 am

Michelle – I completely agree…fresh pasta is a real treat. In fact, it’s the ultimate treat at our house and I love the Kitchen Aid attachment. I hope my kids grow up with memories like you’ve shared and I remember in my family as well!! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

3. Pieliekamais on February 18, 2014 at 3:12 am

Wow :).

4. Jenna on February 18, 2014 at 6:46 am

looks great though I prefer not to use eggs, I use oil in mine. thanks :)

5. Penny on February 18, 2014 at 6:47 am

We must be really old school with a rolling pin and knife for tools! :)

6. Andreya on February 18, 2014 at 8:01 am

This looks great! I am a novice. Do you cook the pasta by boiling it? What is a nest?

7. Suzan cox on February 18, 2014 at 8:19 am

Do you boil noodles before preparing a recipe? I’m especially interested in lasagna sheets preparation.

• Michelle on February 20th, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Hi Suzan, You do not need to boil the lasagna noodles if you use them right away. If you make noodles like fettuccine or spaghetti, however, you will need to boil them.

8. Jill on February 18, 2014 at 9:16 am

I have the other KitchenAid attachment (the extruder) and I struggle with making pasta on it. Do you happen to have any helpful hints?

• Michelle on February 20th, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Hi Jill, I don’t have this particular tool, and have looked into it, but have found mostly negative reviews. I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

9. Taylee @ twist me fit on February 18, 2014 at 9:27 am

Not sure if I will ever own a pasta machine, but that is so cool.

10. Lori on February 18, 2014 at 9:58 am

That’s it Michelle…this is the kick in the butt I needed to make homemade pasta. I have my very own brand new hand crank pasta machine waiting to be christened. I will make a batch in honor of my son coming home from college for break. This should evoke many comments from the others since they kiddingly knickname him the “Prince”. Thanks so much for sharing your kitchen and enthusiasm for cooking and life in general. God Bless!

11. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent on February 18, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Loving the idea of this pasta. I need to get the ambition to try it :)

12. AndreaL on February 18, 2014 at 4:56 pm

:) you have managed to touch my heart again with your stories. I had a flashback to my mother making her pasta – huge wooden board covered with flour & pasta and just waiting to take a taste. You’ve inspired me to dig out the old fashioned pasta maker from somewhere deep in my garage and attempt to make some. There really is nothing better than fresh.

13. Martha in KS on February 18, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I LOVE homemade pasta & haven’t made it for several years. Shame on me! Once I made three colors of pasta & formed striped ravioli. So much fun. I do use my food processor to make the dough, but have an old Atlas hand-crank pasta maker. Wish I was close to Pbg – I’d drop in for dinner.

14. Tina V. on February 18, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Is tomorrow’s how-to homemade mozzarella??

• Michelle on February 20th, 2014 at 1:23 pm

It’s lasagna, but you probably saw it already! :)

15. Ilona @ Ilona's Passion on February 18, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I sure remember times when my grandma made pasta from scratch

16. Tieghan on February 19, 2014 at 12:04 am

Nothing beat homemade pasta! Great post!

17. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on February 19, 2014 at 12:25 am

There’s nothing better than fresh pasta!

18. marcie on February 19, 2014 at 9:53 am

We’ve been making pasta at cooking school, and your instructions are great! I’ve been wanting a pasta maker since the first time we made it because fresh pasta is completely worth the effort! It doesn’t get much more special than that. :)

19. Steph in Lex on February 19, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I’m with your grandma–once I started making my own sauce, I never looked back to any of the store-bought stuff, no matter how good I thought it was before. Now I can’t even eat it…the last time I tried, I couldn’t even eat it because it just tasted so nasty to me. (The same thing happened once I started making my own salsa!)

I’ve never tried making my own pasta, though. I need to get the KitchenAid attachment and get on it!

20. Jennifer Lloyd on February 19, 2014 at 9:27 pm

This is so great; I got the pasta roller attachment for Christmas and just made the Lasagna Bolognese recipe posted recently on Bon Appetit that turned out to be TEN layers! SO good. I saw your meat sauce recipe and just grocery shopped to make it for my next batch. I struggled through my first few tries with ravioli but my best pasta yet was heart-shaped lobster/mascarpone raviolis in a beurre blanc. The pasta roller has been my favorite new toy!

21. Liz Ray on February 20, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Oh thank you so much for sharing! I have thinking for a while now to attempt in making pasta. Do you happen have a ravioli recipe? :) Thanks!

• Michelle on February 20th, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Hi Liz, I don’t have a ravioli recipe yet!

22. Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina on February 21, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Love this! I received a hand cranker pasta maker over Christmas and I just love it! Making fresh pasta doesn’t have to take all day, and the taste/texture is so worth it!

23. Kira - HealthAble Old Soul on February 22, 2014 at 9:15 pm

The way you have picture step-by-steps make it so much more fun (and easier) compared to my adventurous experience with an old pasta machine way back down in our cupboard!

24. Kristina on March 30, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I just got a Kitchen Aid pasta roller yesterday and I’m so excited to try this for dinner tonight. Quick question. How did you clean your pasta roller for the first time? It’s not addressed anywhere in the manual. My Italian mother said to make a batch of throw away pasta first. Is that the traditionally accepted method? Thanks for your help.

• Michelle on April 1st, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Hi Kristina, I think I used hot soapy water to wash it out the first time, but yes, then I would do a batch of throw-away. You’ll see some gunk on that first batch (at least I did!).