The Simple Lemonade Recipe You Need to Make This Summer
This easy homemade lemonade recipe is incredibly simple to make and a perfect blend of tart and sweet. You’ll reach for it over and over again when you need something refreshing in the middle of the day or are unwinding on your back patio in the evening. It takes such little time to prepare that you’ll keep a pitcher in the refrigerator all summer long!
It’s not quite full-blown summer weather here yet, but in less than a week I’m going to be squinting into the sun, trying to re-position my chair in the ever-elusive sliver of shade that keeps moving, and peeling my sweat-soaked legs off the patio chair. Those days in the mid-80’s are just around the corner.
In a word, I LOATHE the heat and humidity of summer. It’s just not my thing. Give me an October day with a high in the 50’s any day over the dog days of summer. Who’s with me here?
Let’s face it – I’m never going to beat summer (unless we move somewhere with a considerably more mild climate), so I may as well join it, right? Well, at least a little. An ice-cold glass of homemade lemonade sure makes those sweltering days a little more tolerable, so pass the pitcher, please!
Only 3 Ingredients Required in This Lemonade!
This crazy easy lemonade recipe only requires three ingredients:
- Lemon Juice – Fresh lemons are, of course, a must! You’ll need about eight medium-sized lemons to get the right amount of lemon juice for this recipe.
- Superfine Sugar – This is a very fine sugar that dissolves easily in liquid, which helps us to eliminate the step of making a simple syrup; it can get stirred right into the lemon juice. (Check the notes for a substitution hack if needed!)
- Water – Does this even count as an ingredient?! We use it to dilute the lemon juice and sugar so it’s not too super tart or too super sweet; we strike the perfect balance that is just oh-so-good.
All that’s left is to add ice and/or mint, if you like!
One of my favorite splurges when at an outdoor event or theme park during the summer is a big cup of lemonade that I can sip leisurely as I walk around; I’m so thrilled to have the perfect recipe to keep lemonade at the ready here at home, too.
It doesn’t necessarily keep my legs from sticking to the chair, but boy is it refreshing! Let’s beat the summer heat together…
I’d love to hear about your favorite summer drink – share in the comments below!
Cheers to a fabulous summer on the horizon! *Clink!*
More Summery Drinks For You…
Mix up any of these refreshing drinks for sipping by the pool, on the deck, or wherever you like to kick back and relax when the weather gets warm!
- Watermelon-Peach Slushies
- Strawberry Pim’s Cup Cocktail
- Chocolate Italian Cream Soda
- Blackberry Gin Fizz Float
- Ginger-Tea Lemonade
- White Sangria
Easy Homemade Lemonade Recipe
- 2 cups (488 ml) fresh lemon juice, from about 8 lemons
- 1 ⅓ cups (266.67 g) superfine sugar
- 6 cups (1.5 l) water
- Ice cubes
- Stir together lemon juice and sugar in a 3-quart pitcher until sugar is dissolved. Add water and stir until combined. Garnish with additional lemon slices and mint, if desired. Serve over ice in glasses.
- If superfine sugar is not readily available where you shop, you can place regular granulated sugar in a food processor to great that fine texture.
- You can refrigerate the lemonade if not serving immediately; stir before serving.
- The lemonade can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Update Notes: This recipe was originally published in May 2010; updated in June 2019 with new photos and improved recipe instructions.
[photos by Ari of Well Seasoned]