Coffee and Doughnuts Trifle
This easy coffee and doughnuts trifle features layers of Krispy Kreme Original Glazed® doughnuts and a mocha whipped cream – perfect for brunch or dessert!
This recipe is sponsored by Krispy Kreme.
This week feels a little bit like holiday limbo, doesn’t it? When Thanksgiving is super early and you get that extra week before Christmas, and Thanksgiving was already a week ago, but it isn’t even December 1st yet… how soon do you jump into your holiday baking and shopping? I definitely feel slightly less stressed than I do when Thanksgiving is super late, but I’m ready to churn out all of my favorite holiday treats!
I think we can all agree that once Thanksgiving is over, everything feels RUSHED and CRAZY and I already feel weeks behind on Christmas cards and shopping just writing that sentence! Which is why I am always, always, always an advocate of stashing away some super simple recipes that are both delicious and perfect for serving a crowd or last-minute company.
Enter this crazy good Krispy Kreme-inspired coffee and doughnuts trifle!
One of my all-time favorite easy dessert hacks is the trifle. Everyone loves it, you can feed a ton of people, and the flavor combinations are literally endless. I had a few trifles here and there growing up, and one of the first holidays that I spent dating my husband, his mom made a crazy good trifle with chocolate cake, whipped cream, toffee bits, and I’m pretty sure there was coffee liquor in there. It was AMAZING.
Those flavors just flat out go together, am I right? Coffee and doughnuts. Peanut butter and jelly. Bagels and cream cheese. Match made in heaven.
My husband is in love – LOVE – with Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnuts. He even has the reheating down to a science (8 seconds in the microwave), so when I was given the opportunity to create an easy holiday recipe using Krispy Kreme doughnuts, I couldn’t wait to get started.
One of the first things that came to mind was the combination of coffee and doughnuts, and I think a trifle is one of the easiest desserts to put together for company or a holiday get-together, so… a coffee and doughnuts trifle! I layered chopped up Original Glazed doughnuts along with a stabilized mocha whipped cream and the result is a seriously sublime dessert or addition to brunch.
I’d love to hear about your favorite holiday or dessert hacks for those days when you need something quick but still want to impress your guests!
Thank you so much to Krispy Kreme for partnering with me on this holiday recipe hack. Also, I got to check out their new 2018 Wall Calendar! It’s filled with delicious recipe ideas developed around the Original Glazed doughnuts and lots of fun coupons to use every month (click here to find a shop near you that has it). For more recipe inspiration, visit www.krispykreme.com/recipes.
Coffee and Doughnuts Trifle
For the Mocha Whipped Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 8 ounces (226.8 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (476 ml) heavy cream
For the Trifle
- 12 Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Doughnuts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Additional whipped cream, to garnish, if desired
- Additional doughnut to garnish, if desired
- Make the Mocha Whipped Cream: In a small bowl stir together the vanilla extract and instant espresso powder until it has dissolved. If there are still clumps or granules, microwave for 5 seconds and stir again until smooth. In a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla/espresso mixture. Beat on medium speed with a whisk attachment until smooth and completely combined, about 3 minutes. Slowly add the heavy cream, scrape the sides of the bowl, then increase speed to medium-high and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble the Trifle: Add one third of the Original Glazed doughnut pieces to the bottom of the trifle bowl, then top with one-third of the mocha whipped cream. Repeat those layers two more times, ending with a layer of mocha whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve (the trifle can be made up to a day in advance of serving). Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes prior to serving.
- You can use your favorite Krispy Kreme doughnut variety for this trifle.
- I have had this trifle bowl for ages and love it!