Cookies & Cream Oreo Look-Alike Cake

cookies-and-cream-oreo-cake-main

My grandpap’s favorite cookies, by a long shot, are Oreos. As far back as I can remember, any time we visited my grandparents, there would be a glass fishbowl-style cookie jar full of Oreo cookies sitting on the kitchen counter. We were always offered one (or a few, if my grandma and mom weren’t looking) and it didn’t take us long to realize that they were his favorite snack. This past Father’s Day we celebrated my grandpap’s 83rd birthday with a cookout. My mom asked if I could make a cake for the occasion and I immediately figured I would incorporate Oreos into the dessert. The result is a two-layer chocolate cake filled with a cream cheese/whipped cream mixture that has chopped Oreos folded in, and topped with a chocolate ganache. I skipped a traditional full icing in order to make the cake actually look like an Oreo cookie.

cookies-and-cream-oreo-cake-slice

This recipe, although it consists of three parts, is really quite easy to put together. The cake batter comes together quickly and you could even make the filling and refrigerate it while the cake bakes. I reserved about ½ cup of the filling before the Oreos were folded in for decorating the finished cake. A word of caution – the filling is a bit on the stiff side for piping with small decorating tips. I had no trouble at all piping the rosettes, but I attempted to write “Happy Birthday Pap” with a #3 tip and it curled and broke off all over the place (hence the bit of smearing you see on the top of the cake). In the end I thought the Oreos on top were a great decoration. The cake was a huge hit, so I’m sure I will be making it many more times in the future. Next time I may try doubling or tripling the ganache and pouring it over the top and down the sides for a “chocolate-covered Oreo” cake.

cookies-and-cream-oreo-cake-close

More Scrumptious Cakes:
Zebra Cake
Chocolate Hazelnut-Filled Yellow Cake
The Perfect Party Cake
Black and White Chocolate Cake
Texas Sheet Cake

1 Year Ago: Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cookies & Cream Oreo Look-Alike Cake

Yield: 12 servings

For the Cake (Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake)
2 cups sugar

½ cup sugar
1 cup (8 ounces) heavy whipping cream
12 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped

For the Ganache:
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
4 tablespoons (¼ cup) unsalted butter, cubed

1. To make the cake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.

3. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

4. To make the filling, with a stand or hand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the heavy whipping cream on low until it starts to become frothy and thick. Gradually increase the speed and whisk until stiff peaks form. Set aside.

5. In a large bowl beat together the cream cheese and sugar until well-blended and smooth. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in ¼ of the whipped cream to lighten the cream cheese mixture. Fold in the remaining whipped cream, and then the chopped Oreos.

6. Place one layer of the cake on a serving plate, spread the filling mixture on top, and top with the second cake layer.

7. To make the ganache, microwave the chocolate and butter in a small microwavable bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the butter is melted. Cool for 5 minutes.

8. Spread the ganache over the top of the cake and let stand until firm. Keep refrigerated.

(Inspired by Annie’s Eats and Kraft Foods)

63 Responses to “Cookies & Cream Oreo Look-Alike Cake”

1. Tracey on June 25, 2009 at 12:26 am

I love that you didn’t ice the sides of the cake so it looked like an Oreo! It’s the perfect cake for someone who loves Oreos!

2. Cate on June 25, 2009 at 2:40 am

I love this! I made a really similar cake with a layer of cookies and cream ice creamin the middle…but I frosted the sides. I love your idea of making it look like a giant oreo!

3. Katie on June 25, 2009 at 8:13 am

My mouth is watering just looking at your pictures! Thanks for putting this up!

4. Meghan on June 25, 2009 at 8:35 am

Wow this looks incredible! I love Oreos too. I bet your grandpa loved this cake!

5. Erin on June 25, 2009 at 9:13 am

What a fun cake! It looks delicious!

6. stephchows on June 25, 2009 at 9:24 am

It looks fabulous!! And such great memories! I bet he flipped when he saw this :)

7. Eliana on June 25, 2009 at 11:11 am

This looks AMAZING. I’m literally salivating right now.

8. Michelle on June 25, 2009 at 11:14 am

Cate – I love the idea of combining cake with cookies and cream ice cream. Brilliant! I am going to have to try that.

9. Jessi A on June 25, 2009 at 11:37 am

I love this!!! We will have to try it soon. I make one with a marshmallow filling and ganache on the top but hadn’t thought of the oreo filling.

10. Steph on June 25, 2009 at 1:32 pm

OMG! That looks amazing. I wish I saw this yesterday.. I knew I should’ve looked through blogs before making my chocolate cake. I made Hershey’s too, but mine is nowhere as nice as yours

11. Michelle on June 25, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Jessi A – Oooh marshmallow filling sounds wonderful! So many different things to try, I love getting new ideas!

12. Risa on June 25, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I just want to take a spoon to that filling! It looks incredible.

13. Michelle on June 25, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Risa – I would be lying if I said I didn’t help myself to more than a few spoonfuls of the filling ;-) I could eat it all by itself!

14. Jenny on June 25, 2009 at 9:19 pm

My son would love this cake. It looks very good.

15. Lizz Slabaugh on June 25, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Perfect for My Boyfriends Bday (which isn’t til January..but i will save this for that date)
    i love your dessert recipes!

16. Heidi on June 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Oreos are our family’s favorite store bought cookie. Lately we’ve been experiementing with them in desserts (oreo milk shake, a crushed oreo layered dessert, and homemeade chocolate dipped oreos). They’re so versitile and so yummy. Your cake is next on our “Oreo To Do List”.

17. Miss Izzo on June 26, 2009 at 12:19 am

This cake looks like it is to die for. My birthday is next week. I may have found my birthday cake. Great photos as usual.

18. Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" on June 26, 2009 at 2:07 am

Beautiful! I just made an oreo chocolate cake too for Father’s Day! It was so good!

19. Jane on June 26, 2009 at 1:03 pm

This looks brilliant! Can’t wait to try it out–Oreos are a BIG thing in our house!

20. Joelen on June 26, 2009 at 3:39 pm

This looks fantastic and I’ve been sneaking Oreos as a snack lately. This would totally do me in! :)

21. Kerstin on June 26, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Oh wow, it looks amazing! I’m a huge oreo fan too – love it!

22. Deborah on June 26, 2009 at 4:36 pm

I love that you made it look like a giant cookie! Yum!

23. mary on June 26, 2009 at 5:15 pm

How fun! I’ve been a bit oreo obsessed lately so I might have to try this cake idea :)

24. shelly on July 1, 2009 at 8:38 am

I have just come across your blog and am officially ADDICTED! I have lost about 30 min now going through your gorgeous photos and recipes. This as well, looks absolutely amazing!

25. Jane on July 10, 2009 at 9:41 am

I cannot believe it’s taken me so long to discover your wonderful blog! Your foods look delicious and I love your approach (not too “fancy” but not too elementary) along with your beautiful photos! I will most definitely be back. Can’t wait to try some of your recipes. Great site!

Jane M.

26. Dawn on July 22, 2009 at 10:11 am

Long time lurker, first time commenter. I made this cake for the ? anniversary of my 29th birthday. Wow! The Hersheys cake is my go to chocolate cake recipe but the addition of the oreo filling and fudge ganache on top was awesome. Thanks for the great recipe!!

27. Carrie on December 23, 2009 at 5:25 pm

while i was out christmas shopping the other day i saw that williams sonoma has a cake pan set so that your cake layers can look even more like oreo cookies. you should check it out

28. Umme Kulsum on December 26, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Thats an amazing amazing cake ! I am drooooOling!Sinful!

29. Joan on June 18, 2010 at 4:36 pm

You will be the death of me yet. The cake looks FABULOUS!!!!!!

30. Anne on June 18, 2010 at 5:13 pm

That cake is a thing of beauty! And I’ll bet it tastes even better!

31. Pingback: Black Forest Cake | Brown Eyed Baker

32. Valerie on June 26, 2010 at 4:04 pm

This cake was so easy, looked fantastic, was just sweet enough but not over the top sweet, and I will definitely make it again!

33. Katie on August 23, 2010 at 9:12 am

I made this yesterday (after I thought I burned the brownie mosaic cheesecake, more on that in the cheesecake comments!) but I used buttermilk for milk and added 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee to the boiling water to give the cake richer flavor. I did use annie’s frosting instead of the ganache also since I wanted a more finished look, but will skip that and try this next time.

34. Maria on April 2, 2011 at 11:06 am

Would you be able to use the Oreo as a filling with a fondant cake?

• Michelle on April 2nd, 2011 at 11:45 am

Hi Maria, Definitely, I don’t see why not!

35. Pingback: Dried Apricot-Pistachio Ice Cream

36. Pingback: Dried Apricot-Pistachio Ice Cream | Brown Eyed Baker

37. Lori Connors on June 27, 2011 at 9:31 am

I made this on Sunday and got rave reviews. The only thing I changed….I made three cake layers and had more than enough filling to go between the layers. I did double the amount of ganache. I used a mix of milk and dark chocolate (I had Trader Joe pounder bars that I chopped up) and it oozed over the top of the cake. It was definitely a hit and a keeper recipe!

38. Pingback: Cookies & Cream (2008) | All Films Blog

39. Chloe on September 23, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Hi . My name is chloe and i adore your cake but i was just wondering why i have to divide the batter In Line 2 is it because im supposed to make two cakes , One for the underlayer and the other for overlayer ? . Please somebody answer me !

• Michelle on September 23rd, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Yes, this is a two-layer cake. You divide the batter between two cake pans, and once baked, put filling in the middle.

40. joe on October 10, 2011 at 3:55 pm

This cake was delicious, made as described, slightly underbaked the cake. Halved Oreos by holding blade on Oreo, then using hand to hammer knife through quickly for even break. Used filling to hold the half Oreos upright. Only needed about half of the ganache to cover the cake top.

41. tamela on November 24, 2011 at 10:00 am

This cake is yummy. The only change I made is to the ganache. My husband bought 16 oz of cream, so I made the ganache using it, instead of butter. Delicious.

42. Nathan Miller on December 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Wow. Just made this for my families Christmas this evening. Turned out PERFECT! Great step by steps. Thank you soo soo much. I added 1 Tablespoon of Pure Vanilla to the middle filling to give it a bit more flavor and bring out the chocolate flavor of the cake, but I am stoked to show it off. Nice work and Merry Christmas!

43. Adrianne Moro on January 2, 2012 at 8:21 am

I just made it for my family and everybody loved it! Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!

44. Jackie on January 28, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Yum, this look amazing! Since Oreos have become available in New Zealand my young son has developed a passion for them. I think you have just solved my “what to do for this years birthday cake” dilemma. Thank you!

45. Li-Anne on February 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

First thing my brother said when he saw the picture:

“You HAVE to make this this weekend!”

He’s been begging me to make something that’s got Oreo’s in it, so…but I’m going to grant his wish, haha :) For the cake, can you just make one large cake and then cut it in half length ways?

I’ve been looking at your blog for the past half hour and my stomach’s rumbling, not good when I’m about to go to bed :P

• Michelle on February 20th, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Hi Li-Anne, The batter might be too much for one regular cake pan, so I would still divide it between two so you don’t end up with a mess on the bottom of your oven!

46. Pingback: Christmas Oreo Cake « CheeseandIcecream

47. Pingback: Oreo Cake « CheeseandIcecream

48. Susie on February 29, 2012 at 9:58 am

LOVE this! Stop in and link them up in my Happy 100th Birthday Party for Oreo! I’d be honored to have your recipe attend the party! http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2012/02/happy-100-birthday-oreo-cake-blog-link.html

If you have anything else Oreo, feel free to link up! I”m promoting the party like crazy :)

Susie

49. Yaneri -Sweet Baker on March 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm

ummm yummy!!! Have to make this cream filling!! Been looking for a good recipe!!!

Yaneri

50. Pingback: Oreo Oreo Chocolate Cake | Oreo Hungry

51. Pingback: Cookies and Cream Ice Cream

52. Pingback: Homemade Graham Crackers Recipe

53. Rida on July 1, 2012 at 1:55 am

Hi! What’s the purpose of the boiling water in the cake recipe? I’ve often seen cold water mentioned for chocolate cake, but not boiling!

• Nate on July 1st, 2012 at 6:29 am

HOT water incorporates the cocoa into the batter more quickly and easily. Ever tried to mix cold milk with cocoa? It takes forever, cocoa mixes 100% better and faster when a warm liquid is used

54. Jennifer on December 5, 2013 at 6:22 am

I absolutely love this recipe..I use the actual cake recipe whenever I need a chocolate cake. My question is…do you have a vanilla cake recipe that is just as moist and good as this one?

• Michelle on December 5th, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Hi Jennifer, I don’t have one yet that I would say compares with this chocolate one. Finding a great yellow layer cake is one of my goals for 2014 :)

55. Eva Kormanovicova on April 2, 2014 at 9:57 am

What kind of sugar are you using for the filling, please? Custer or powder? Thank you for the great recipe!!! Finally Oreo cookies are available in stores in Slovakia, so I am able to bake this cake :-)

• Michelle on April 7th, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Hi Eva, So sorry for the ambiguity; it is granulated sugar.

56. Pingback: Elegant Cakes – Cheesy Portabello-Tomato Appetizer